How to network at specialty conferences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attending an in-person conference this Spring, I want to make the most of my experience. I am taking a research year and applying next cycle, so I am looking to connect with residents, attendings, and PDs of residencies I'm interested in, and to get my name out there. I'm relatively comfortable in social situations, so that's not an issue, but I'm not sure what I can do beyond introducing myself and saying hi. What is the usual etiquette for networking at conferences? Do people typically offer to meet for coffee or exchange contact info?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have anyone from your home program you know that’s going? Always easier and more memorable to have someone introduce you to someone you know.

Do you have anyone from your home program you know that’s going? Always easier and more memorable to have someone introduce you to someone you know.

My PI who is known in his field is going. I’m sure many other attendings from my institution will be attending as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What specialty is that ? It’s important to match the “vibe” or ppl who are in this specialty . They should feel like you already belong

Yeah, so talk to any you know and see who they know. That’s the easiest way to network.
Stay close to the PI and get them to introduce you to others.
I assumed I'd be mostly exploring the conference independently after presenting my poster, but you recommend I stick close to my PI for the duration of the event? I don't want to hover or annoy them too much, but admittedly this is my first in-person conference so not sure what the etiquette is.

I assumed I'd be mostly exploring the conference independently after presenting my poster, but you recommend I stick close to my PI for the duration of the event? I don't want to hover or annoy them too much, but admittedly this is my first in-person conference so not sure what the etiquette is.
Just tell them literally what you told us and see if they can introduce you to people.

Reactions: 1 users
You'd be amazed how much people want to talk about their work. Talk to presenters after workshops, and to people presenting their posters.

I am wondering similarly as I will be going to the ACOS conference in april. Is there a way to stand out as an OMS1 to create a lasting relationship? How much is too much to ask for (getting contact info/ asking about meeting outside conference). I dont want to appear overeager as I am so early in my career.

I am wondering similarly as I will be going to the ACOS conference in april. Is there a way to stand out as an OMS1 to create a lasting relationship? How much is too much to ask for (getting contact info/ asking about meeting outside conference). I dont want to appear overeager as I am so early in my career.
Not specific to medical conferences, but IMO there's nothing as "overeager". However there is "overtime", so as long as you're not soaking up an obviously excessive amount of time (like if they're trying to back away or say they have to go do something multiple times) then if I were a researcher talking with a student I wouldn't mind eagerness.

My two cents: Develop your "elevator speech" on what you're about. You want to be able to convey who you are clearly and succiently. Research the people whom you've met or want to meet, so that you can have more in depth conversations with them if you get another chance. Be a decent person that people want to hang around and don't press too hard in early social situlations.

Reactions: 1 users