How to "network connections"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I realize that connections play a big role in gaining residency position. Even Guide to Isersons attest to it, but his book does not go into enough detail. Let's do that in this thread.

What is the best way to network, in detail. Should you aim for research with PD? Or is it better with the director or chairman? How about subspecialty chairman? How, with whom, which subspec would you schedule your externship/rotation? What other ways and important things are there? And who else are important ppl to befriend, the chief resident?

I've heard of a derm candidate who did research in the dept for 4 yrs, and not really an "academically deserving" candidate for the spot, and still got it comes residency based on connections. Any stories/tips you can share?

Members don't see this ad.

Does this thread really stink that much?

Well, it sounds like you have already thought of most of the ways yourself. Doing research with faculty is a good way for them to get to know you, and doing "audition" or away rotations at hospitals you are interested in getting into is another good way for you to get the faculty to know you. When you are at an away rotation, make sure that you schedule a time to meet with their PD and chairperson (if the chairperson has time) just to discuss your career goals and so that they will know your name when it comes time to review your file. Having a strong letter from someone the PD knows and respects is probably one of the best types of letter you can have, so of course getting a letter of recc from a faculty at whatever school you want to go to helps too.

Members don't see this ad :)
should the externship involve working with the pd, or is that not so significant? how about the research?

Ideally (assuming that you are personable and have good social skills), your research or externship can be with the PD. This has the added benefit of most PD's knowing each other (since they participate in national conferences), so their letter will have particular weight. However, I would say that 90% of the time, this is not possible because the PD doesn't have research, isn't attending at the time that you are doing an externship, you have no way of knowing when the PD is attending, etc. I would say that it's nice if it happens, but don't waste too much time looking for it to happen. Also, regarding research, a strong, publishable project in the specialty that you are going into probably beats a mediocre project being run by a PD in a specialty that you are not so interested in.

During my interviews the biggest positive discussed about my application is the strength of LORs from well known and highly respected people. Doctors that have trained at major institutions, have credentials a mile long and that somehow got to know me well enough to write a strong letter. This seems to be more proof to the programs than my scores, grades, etc. I know you read about this aspect of securing LORs in the "how to" books and it does seem to make a difference. I've tried to paste a smile on my face and let my application speak for itself. The interviewers trust a couple of the names signed on my letters and this is helping validate what they see on paper.

So, find the most prestigious people at your school and let them get to know you. I think it has to be a personal letter, so you have to really let them know what you know. This is how I think "connections" can help you.

Thanks for all the info.
I remember you said you are from a not so wellknown state school. In that case, how were you able to secure letters from strong faculty? Were they from your state school or another institution?

Originally posted by Hop Toad
During my interviews the biggest positive discussed about my application is the strength of LORs from well known and highly respected people. Doctors that have trained at major institutions, have credentials a mile long and that somehow got to know me well enough to write a strong letter. This seems to be more proof to the programs than my scores, grades, etc. I know you read about this aspect of securing LORs in the "how to" books and it does seem to make a difference. I've tried to paste a smile on my face and let my application speak for itself. The interviewers trust a couple of the names signed on my letters and this is helping validate what they see on paper.

So, find the most prestigious people at your school and let them get to know you. I think it has to be a personal letter, so you have to really let them know what you know. This is how I think "connections" can help you.

I go to a very good state program and some of the faculty is really top notch. I don't think I ever said "not well known", just not top 20 med school. Many of the faculty have trained at MGH, JH, etc. Just probably not as many as would be found at one of the top 20 schools.

I see. Thanks!

Originally posted by Hop Toad
I go to a very good state program and some of the faculty is really top notch. I don't think I ever said "not well known", just not top 20 med school. Many of the faculty have trained at MGH, JH, etc. Just probably not as many as would be found at one of the top 20 schools.