Networking for jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GastriqueGraffin

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve been hearing that some of the best PP jobs are found not through ads and recruiters but with “knowing people”. Is this true and if true how does a fellow go about networking? When I’ve gone to national meetings as a resident I felt like it’s really hard for a trainee to get any real attention from anyone and I’m not trying to have a research career so that might be even harder since that’s what it’s geared to at those events.
 
I’ve been hearing that some of the best PP jobs are found not through ads and recruiters but with “knowing people”. Is this true and if true how does a fellow go about networking? When I’ve gone to national meetings as a resident I felt like it’s really hard for a trainee to get any real attention from anyone and I’m not trying to have a research career so that might be even harder since that’s what it’s geared to at those events.
Goto the annual state GI society conference in the state you want the job