How to network with schools as a Canadian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yokiguz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian who is going to be applying to medical school in the united states next year (June 2021). I was wondering what is the best ways of 'networking' with the schools that I'd really like to go to. There are a couple schools I'd really love to attend and was wondering what is the best way to approach this? What is the best way to make my application standout to these schools specifically? One such school is UCLA.

Also another question is how exactly do I research schools and determine which would be the best for me? Which would I enjoy being at most? I can't quite fly-out and visit each campus.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There's not really a good way to network with medical schools the way you could with colleges as the average class size is so small and the acceptance rate for every medical school you would be eligible to apply for is <10%, often substantially less, so there's no room for a member of the admissions committee to sneak someone they like through. Your best bet is to prepare a good application and write good secondaries.

To your second point, most US-based applicants aren't able to fly out to all the schools they're interested in either, and to be honest there aren't enough schools to be able to pick and choose based on location. You will need to apply to schools where you will be a good fit from a stats perspective and from a mission perspective. There are certainly resources and people here who would be able to help you choose schools if you provide us with your stats and extracurriculars.

Reactions: 1 users
There's not really a good way to network with medical schools the way you could with colleges as the average class size is so small and the acceptance rate for every medical school you would be eligible to apply for is <10%, often substantially less, so there's no room for a member of the admissions committee to sneak someone they like through. Your best bet is to prepare a good application and write good secondaries.

To your second point, most US-based applicants aren't able to fly out to all the schools they're interested in either, and to be honest there aren't enough schools to be able to pick and choose based on location. You will need to apply to schools where you will be a good fit from a stats perspective and from a mission perspective. There are certainly resources and people here who would be able to help you choose schools if you provide us with your stats and extracurriculars.

Thank you for the help Wolvvs!

I see, I just assumed that is something that you should do. But thanks for clarifying that for me. For schools I have not yet put together a school list but just purchased the MSAR. Will be looking through that soon!

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.95, MCAT: 517

First off I need to rewrite my MCAT as it is expiring now. Hoping for a 520+ with lots more time to study and 3 more years of UG experience.

ECs:

Employment - Worked at Subway, Worked in a Research Lab, Worked at a chemical synthesis company as an analytical chemist, private tutoring, Worked at STEM summer camp for HS kids --> Love tutoring/teaching others!

Volunteering - VP of club on campus, Founder of a different club on campus, volunteered at hospital (only 50-ish hours), volunteered in research lab, will be volunteering as an English tutor to new Canadians.

Other - Weight lifting, computer building, worked at construction company with father, have YT channel (put time in, but not very successful yet), 2 scholarships based off academic performance

Publications - 2 journal articles (3rd author, and late author), 1 abstract

Shadowing - 75 hours of FM shadowing

I will be applying June 2021. I still have until then to add additional ECs but I am not quite sure what I should be doing, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

1) What are my chances? If so what tier of school?
2) What should I be doing until I apply? What kind of ECs? Jobs? Open to suggestions.
3) Any tips to Canadian applicants? I have checked out the MSAR and will be making a school list soon.

Thanks again for the help :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the help Wolvvs!

I see, I just assumed that is something that you should do. But thanks for clarifying that for me. For schools I have not yet put together a school list but just purchased the MSAR. Will be looking through that soon!

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.95, MCAT: 517

First off I need to rewrite my MCAT as it is expiring now. Hoping for a 520+ with lots more time to study and 3 more years of UG experience.

ECs:

Employment - Worked at Subway, Worked in a Research Lab, Worked at a chemical synthesis company as an analytical chemist, private tutoring, Worked at STEM summer camp for HS kids --> Love tutoring/teaching others!

Volunteering - VP of club on campus, Founder of a different club on campus, volunteered at hospital (only 50-ish hours), volunteered in research lab, will be volunteering as an English tutor to new Canadians.

Other - Weight lifting, computer building, worked at construction company with father, have YT channel (put time in, but not very successful yet), 2 scholarships based off academic performance

Publications - 2 journal articles (3rd author, and late author), 1 abstract

Shadowing - 75 hours of FM shadowing

I will be applying June 2021. I still have until then to add additional ECs but I am not quite sure what I should be doing, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

1) What are my chances? If so what tier of school?
2) What should I be doing until I apply? What kind of ECs? Jobs? Open to suggestions.
3) Any tips to Canadian applicants? I have checked out the MSAR and will be making a school list soon.

Thanks again for the help :)
You let a 517 expire???

You let a 517 expire???

I took the MCAT after the 2nd year of UG, before I got into my schools Co-op program which turned my UG from 4 years to 5. Now I am graduating and MCAT will be expiring before I apply next year. It's unfortunate but I don't mind rewriting. I really think 3 years of UG experience and co-op placements can help a lot!

A lot of those are good, but the main thing that's missing IMO is clinical experience (shadowing doesn't count). Do you have any clinical employment or (even better) clinical volunteering?

Another thing to keep in mind is that as a non-US citizen and non-green card holder, you will not be eligible to apply to certain schools. Here's a list, but I don't know how up to date it is: Medical Schools That Accept International Students

Also you will not be eligible for any federal and most institutional financial aid or loans. Depending on the school, you may be required to place 4 years of tuition in escrow before attending.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of those are good, but the main thing that's missing IMO is clinical experience (shadowing doesn't count). Do you have any clinical employment or (even better) clinical volunteering?

Another thing to keep in mind is that as a non-US citizen and non-green card holder, you will not be eligible to apply to certain schools. Here's a list, but I don't know how up to date it is: Medical Schools That Accept International Students

Also you will not be eligible for any federal and most institutional financial aid or loans. Depending on the school, you may be required to place 4 years of tuition in escrow before attending.

Yes, after the world recovers from COVID-19 I'll be looking into getting some clinical experience. Does volunteering at a hospital count? I wish to be a 'patient experience volunteer'. This was my previous position where I would go around to patients from different wards of the hospital and survey them to see if there is anything that can be improved.

Yes, after the world recovers from COVID-19 I'll be looking into getting some clinical experience. Does volunteering at a hospital count? I wish to be a 'patient experience volunteer'. This was my previous position where I would go around to patients from different wards of the hospital and survey them to see if there is anything that can be improved.
That sort of thing is good but the clinical aspect isn't strong enough. The best clinical experience is where you're actually involved with providing care to patients. Many students become scribes or EMTs as they are the most clear-cut methods for gaining experience, but there are certainly other ways (e.g. volunteer at a hospice, become certified and work as a phlebotomist).

That sort of thing is good but the clinical aspect isn't strong enough. The best clinical experience is where you're actually involved with providing care to patients. Many students become scribes or EMTs as they are the most clear-cut methods for gaining experience, but there are certainly other ways (e.g. volunteer at a hospice, become certified and work as a phlebotomist).
Correct you may be able to stick that label on it but any reader is going to very quickly see there was 0 medical skill/judgment involved. Get your hands dirty.

Wow I did not think of that. Thanks for the insight. So if I volunteer at a hospice as a patient care assistant (Assist the nurse and/or personal support worker with physical care (e.g. bathing, toileting, dressing, and feeding as well as patient transfers, lifts, and moves)). That would be more meaningful clinical volunteering experience?

Correct you may be able to stick that label on it but any reader is going to very quickly see there was 0 medical skill/judgment involved. Get your hands dirty.

Thank you as well for the help! Totally overlooked this aspect :)

Wow I did not think of that. Thanks for the insight. So if I volunteer at a hospice as a patient care assistant (Assist the nurse and/or personal support worker with physical care (e.g. bathing, toileting, dressing, and feeding as well as patient transfers, lifts, and moves)). That would be more meaningful clinical volunteering experience?
Sure, that is a very noble and intimate thing to do for others. not only would it be good experience, but I can attest that it is also very powerful. There is no greater feeling in the world than helping something with a basic/human need they are not able to carry out for themselves.

Sure, that is a very noble and intimate thing to do for others. not only would it be good experience, but I can attest that it is also very powerful. There is no greater feeling in the world than helping something with a basic/human need they are not able to carry out for themselves.

Thank you very much for the help. I will be applying and looking for opportunities to do this, I know I'd love it!

Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian who is going to be applying to medical school in the united states next year (June 2021). I was wondering what is the best ways of 'networking' with the schools that I'd really like to go to. There are a couple schools I'd really love to attend and was wondering what is the best way to approach this? What is the best way to make my application standout to these schools specifically? One such school is UCLA.

Also another question is how exactly do I research schools and determine which would be the best for me? Which would I enjoy being at most? I can't quite fly-out and visit each campus.

Thank you!
Did you sign up for the AAMC Virtual Fair last Friday?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Frankly there shouldn't be any medical skill or judgment involved in any of your pre-medical activities unless you're already a nurse or PA or something.

But yes, getting your hands dirty under the supervision of someone with skills and judgment is advisable.

I just found out about it yesterday :O, so sad I missed it. But will definitely go next year!
They actually ran it TWICE in the month of March, the one Friday being an emergency session considering COVID-19. I'm not sure if they will do this again by the start of the cycle, but I'd access the fair site and see what was in the booths if you can gain access.

They actually ran it TWICE in the month of March, the one Friday being an emergency session considering COVID-19. I'm not sure if they will do this again by the start of the cycle, but I'd access the fair site and see what was in the booths if you can gain access.

I will be applying next cycle actually. But I'll see if I can access the materials today. Thank you for the help :)