How to not get my hopes up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1142566

As I write secondary application essays for each medical school, I research all the opportunities that each school offers. And I see so many cool programs in global health, research, medical technology engineering, etc.

Then I start fantasizing about attending that school. I have an active imagination and can easily imagine myself attending X school and living in Y city. And it’s so hard to bring myself back to reality. Eventually I start imagining my future in a musical montage.

How do you ground yourself when you day-dream and have a rosy worldview like me?

P.S. it doesn’t help that I’m a classical Indian musician and calligraphy artist with a flair for aesthetics.

P.S.2 maybe I’ve just finally gone bat**** crazy while juggling a full-time job, moving to a new city, med school applications (literally have been writing 3 essays/day for the past 2 weeks), and research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I write secondaries for each school, I spend time researching all the programs and opportunities that each school offers. And I see so many cool programs in global health, research, medical technology engineering, etc.

Then I start fantasizing about attending that school. I have an active imagination and can easily imagine myself attending X school and living in Y city. And it’s so hard to bring myself back to reality. Eventually I start imagining my future in a musical montage.

How do you ground yourself when you are a dreamer with a rosy worldview like me?

P.S. it doesn’t help that I’m a musician and calligraphy artist who has a flair for aesthetics.

P.S.2 maybe I’ve just finally gone bat**** crazy while trying to juggle a full-time job, moving to a new city, secondaries, and research.
Enjoy the dreaming while you can. No need to get serious unless you have multiple acceptances to choose among.

Reactions: 2 users
Snap Out Of It Wake Up GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As I write secondary application essays for each medical school, I research all the opportunities that each school offers. And I see so many cool programs in global health, research, medical technology engineering, etc.

How do you ground yourself when you day-dream and have a rosy worldview like me?

P.S. it doesn’t help that I’m a classical Indian musician and calligraphy artist with a flair for aesthetics.

P.S.2 maybe I’ve just finally gone bat**** crazy while juggling a full-time job, moving to a new city, med school applications (literally have been writing 3 essays/day for the past 2 weeks), and research.
During the Roman empire, the emperor would ride around in a chariot during a parade in Triumph after some victory, and to keep him grounded in reality, a slave would whisper in his ear "remember you are mortal."

So even though the following advice will upset some tender snowflakes, I advise you to remember that you are rejected until you get that acceptance email in your inbox. On top of that 60% of all applicants do not get into medical school in the app cycle

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
its the worst part of the whole thingbut it will get better!

Reactions: 1 users
Goro's advice is pretty spot on. I remember the days, as I was filling out my AMCAS and AACOMAS, just imagining myself attending those medical schools I applied, getting excited for all the fun things that would have been over there, imagining what student life would be like, imagining what it'd be like to wear that school's white coat for the first time and then all of those dreams just would come crashing down as soon as I saw all of those rejection emails. Do try to not let yourself get too excited about these types of things, as depending on how you process bad news, it can be pretty demoralizing just thinking about a school that you want to get into and building that dream in your head, only for things to just not work out. Just do the best you can and distance yourself from holding any sort of attachment as much as you can. Have the mentality of "if you get in, then great! If you don't then that's fine too." I feel like pre meds put a lot of self worth into whether or not they get into med school and allowing your mind to just focus on the positive parts of getting in, can be a fast way to heart ache and disappointment if you don't get in. And a lot of people don't get in.

Reactions: 3 users
At your age, it is baked into your personality. Accept it.

Reactions: 1 user
I repeat, it’s baked in. That is you. Accept it.

Reactions: 4 users
This is just human nature. I do this all the time regarding residencies, houses, farm etc

Reactions: 1 users
When you start school you’ll most likely put all the overly ambitious dreams aside to set aside time to study and for your personal life. You’re directly ranked against your classmates after all. No one wants to waste precious time

The schools in highly desirable locations always have a “more to it” aspect, whether it be demanding curriculum, more high strung community, etc. Basically something that helps cancel out the desirable location

And that reminds me, tbh the only interests you should maintain are those that can be easily kept up with in terms of time and money

Reactions: 1 user