How to objectively compare match lists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips? I’m trying to use match lists to compare schools to which I have been accepted. But it’s not totally clear how to actually compare them other than eye balling and being like “well 3 ppl got into ortho at duke here and 1 person got into ortho at Arizona there”

I feel like my method of eye balling match lists isn’t very effective and accurate lol

Members don't see this ad.

Any tips? I’m trying to use match lists to compare schools to which I have been accepted. But it’s not totally clear how to actually compare them other than eye balling and being like “well 3 ppl got into ortho at duke here and 1 person got into ortho at Arizona there”

I feel like my method of eye balling match lists isn’t very effective and accurate lol
It isn’t

If a school is dropping some people in the specialty you want (particularly if they own residencies in that) then it works. But you are the one who will have to put up numbers either way

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

You can't compare them, that's the problem

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can't compare them, that's the problem

If School A is higher ranked and considerably cheaper than B, do you think it’s worth it to go to B if I got a better “vibe” and like the location more?

If School A is higher ranked and considerably cheaper than B, do you think it’s worth it to go to B if I got a better “vibe” and like the location more?
I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on "vibe", what's your $/yr threshold for vibe?

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on "vibe", what's your $/yr threshold for vibe?

Nothing above $1,000 per vibe :) :)

That’s a good point though haha

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
look at how many per year over multiple years.
also hard for you to appreciate, but look at what programs they go to (i.e. duke vs arizona, duke is objectively more competitive program)

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been told to look at how many specialize versus primary care.

And how many go to University programs compared to community hospitals.

Those are rules of thumb better suited for DO schools. But that's all they are.

Even Ivy League med university hospitals can have bad residency programs.

The real trick is to ask our wise SDN residents and attendings what they think of particular programs.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd be willing to bet that no one here can name the best Ob/gyn program in the country.
Not knowing which programs are actually "good" matches makes interpreting match lists impossible for anyone who doesn't know which programs are actually the "best" or the preferences of the individual students.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'd be willing to bet that no one here can name the best Ob/gyn program in the country.
Not knowing which programs are actually "good" matches makes interpreting match lists impossible for anyone who doesn't know which programs are actually the "best" or the preferences of the individual students.
I've heard a few different people over the years say it's UAB.

Reactions: 1 users
Who decides which is the “best” residency program in a given specialty?

Is there any meaningful difference in the quality of physicians who were trained at the #1 program as opposed the #4 program?

Is there any meaningful difference in the quality of physicians who were trained at the #1 program as opposed the #4 program?
We do.
No, but the nature and emphasis may be very different. One may have a Ryan program that the other does not, for example.

The point is nobody outside of the specialty has a clue.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I always thought match lists were pretty unhelpful for the most part. You can pick little trends here and there but most people intrinsically know the tier that the school is in to begin with.

Like others have said, the rest is up to you.

David D - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

This may be the case for some specialties, but something like EM its going to be the complete opposite. Cook County is a stronger program than Northwestern. But if you are premed looking at rank lists, you're going to view one of them as a county program when its one of the top residencies in the country

Doximity is basically a popularity contest driven more by name recognition than anything else
Doximity can be laughably bad sometimes. Pennsy > HUP pops up a few times for example.

Look at the reputation of the programs people match into. A good one to start with is internal medicine. Typically, the great programs will match a ton into the "top" internal medicine programs (a lot of people do internal medicine because it's the gateway to many other specialties). If you're interested in a specific field, take a look at the matches into that field as well. It's hard to look at every field objectively because unless you've spent time talking to people in that field or being in it yourself, it's hard to know which programs have the best reputations. For many competitive specialties, the top programs aren't necessarily the ones you would expect based solely on university name.

Usually only in their own minds.

We do.
No, but the nature and emphasis may be very different. One may have a Ryan program that the other does not, for example.

To follow up my learned colleague, You have to be an insider. You know the field itself, the material, people doing the research, their outcomes and how they move and shake the field.

The same holds true in academia. I could rattle off ten great Anatomy/Cell Bio programs, but would be clueless to name some top Physiology or Biochem programs.

I'll wager gyngyn's program is one of the tops!

We do.

To follow up my learned colleague, You have to be an insider. You know the field itself, the material, people doing the research, their outcomes and how they move and shake the field.

The same holds true in academia. I could rattle off ten great Anatomy/Cell Bio programs, but would be clueless to name some top Physiology or Biochem programs.

I'll wager gyngyn's program is one of the tops!
I understood the point and I appreciate the perspective. What I was trying to get at is:

1) The definition of a “top” program is subjective.

2) Even if one did know what the “top” programs are, in the long run, it may not matter much if one matches into a “top” program versus a very good program. And one can be a fantastic physician no matter where they train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if one did know what the “top” programs are, in the long run, it may not matter much if one matches into a “top” program versus a very good program. And one can be a fantastic physician no matter where they train.
Although a minimum standard is expected at any accredited program, the depth and breadth of training does vary dramatically.

Reactions: 4 users

What would be a good resource for this information?

yeah this is so true honestly, I had zero idea that Iowa was like the top dog in ophthalmology until I read it on here

What would be a good resource for this information?
Well-placed individuals who can speak frankly with you are good choices.
Program directors, Board examiners, members of the College who are affiliated with your school are a good place to start.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
This a very interesting thread. As much as people denounce it, this is exactly why so many med schools applicants flock to the USNWR lists. They feel lost, lack a useful pre med advisor, and are looking for quantitative data for a very important life decision.

Last edited:
I'm from a middle class family where pedigree and prestige is rarely an option or consideration. But the quality of education and the $$$ well spent is. We spend 2 months reading reviews just to buy a car. LOL!

Last edited: