Would it be OK to compare my city of residence to the school's city in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArcticAdventure

Reaction score
Some secondaries ask for how your experiences and perspectives contribute to diversity and your fit for medicine/their specific program. I live in Chicago, IL, which is a very diverse city, can I compare my city to the school's city and say how I enjoyed service in my city? Just one example for applying to Cincinnati:

My experience serving the diverse population of Chicago, a diverse community akin to Cincinnati, has been rewarding...

I am probably being too careful, but I want the perspective of all the wise people here to see if I can make my point any better. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the specific prompt?

Dig a little deeper in showing the similarities, specifically with the patient populations and your own insights gained with social determinants of health.

Reactions: 1 user
Comparisons are okay unless they become negative in nature which doesn’t seem to be the case

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful that they actually ARE similar to each other before you compare them. I've lived in many diverse cities that are completely different from each other and would be weird to compare just on the basis of being "diverse". Can't speak personally to Chicago vs. Cincinnati though since i've only ever been to the former. Just be a bit more specific about what is similar. I also don't know that what you're describing actually answers the prompt you mention (they want to know about you, not your home city)

Reactions: 3 users
I'll also note. "Chicago" is a big metropolis, and living in the Southside is not the same as living in the North Shore. Depending on where you actually live and grew up, you can talk about your specific perspective within Chicago.

Same thing with Cincinnati though it is not as big.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't make any comparisons for the reasons identified above by all. I outlined the experiences I had in the cities I grew up and went to undergrad in, and outlined how I hoped to expand on those experiences during my medical education by looking for similar opportunities in xyz city.

Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in America so unless you've served in sections where people unlike yourself live, that comment might not convince people that you aren't bullshi+ting.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users