Objects in Background of Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holland

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some things in the background of my room (sewing stuff, a jazz poster, some Mayan art) that have been visible in Zoom interviews. It’s resulted in a couple fun conversations and brought a little levity to the interviews (and frankly, it burns a little bit of time which I can’t complain about) and I haven’t gotten the sense that they’re excessive. However, I’ve noticed that most of the interviewees I’m with have pretty nondescript backgrounds and I understand that it could be seen as a little unprofessional. I may have just gotten lucky by having interviewers who didn’t mind.

What are you guys’ thoughts on having stuff in the background? Should I take it down/use a space other than my room in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some things in the background of my room (sewing stuff, a jazz poster, some Mayan art) that have been visible in Zoom interviews. It’s resulted in a couple fun conversations and brought a little levity to the interviews (and frankly, it burns a little bit of time which I can’t complain about) and I haven’t gotten the sense that they’re excessive. However, I’ve noticed that most of the interviewees I’m with have pretty nondescript backgrounds and I understand that it could be seen as a little unprofessional. I may have just gotten lucky by having interviewers who didn’t mind.

What are you guys’ thoughts on having stuff in the background? Should I take it down/use a space other than my room in the future?
It's not an issue for me. Sometimes it's an icebreaker

Reactions: 2 users

If the stuff in the background looks like its part of your study/office/desk area I feel like it's fine. If your bed's visible I feel like that veers into the unprofessional. Imo its hard to curate a tasteful background with interests visible so its easier to do a plain or neutral background. If you are uncertain set up your zoom and take a screenshot. Ask your family and friends what vibes they get and what they would rate it in terms of professionalism. Make sure to ask some older people too.
Also, I chose to keep a neutral background because in most of my interviews they have asked me what I like to do in my free time or ask anything else we haven't covered (and I bring up my hobbies).

Reactions: 1 user