How to officially start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I officially start studying for the MCAT, should I start out by reading the General Chemistry textbook. I just finished Orgo chem this year, and I will be taking Physics I this summer. I also bought the examkrakers mcat package. I actually don't remember anything from general chemistry. your advice is appreaciated

Members don't see this ad.

How do I officially start studying for the MCAT, should I start out by reading the General Chemistry textbook. I just finished Orgo chem this year, and I will be taking Physics I this summer. I also bought the examkrakers mcat package. I actually don't remember anything from general chemistry. your advice is appreaciated

You should officially start by Registering for an exam. I think thats what really got me started studying, without a deadline its hard to keep yourself motivated to get up everymorning and study for so many hours.

I don't think textbooks are that helpful for the MCAT. I'd start going through you EK books. Those will teach you what you need to know. Then if there's something you need a little more depth on, open up your textbook.

I don't think textbooks are that helpful for the MCAT. I'd start going through you EK books. Those will teach you what you need to know. Then if there's something you need a little more depth on, open up your textbook.

+1. I would recommend you do the verbal portion of the aamc 3 to see where you are. If you need help with verbal you want to start that as soon as possible because it's the easiest to improve but takes the most time to improve.

1.) Register for MCAT.
2.) Order examkracker materials.
3.) Go on AAMC website and print out the topics list for biological and physical sciences.
4.) Go to www.e-mcat.com and take the free aamc 3 test. Just take the verbal part since you're not prepared for bio or physical sciences.
5.) Start studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1. I would recommend you do the verbal portion of the aamc 3 to see where you are. If you need help with verbal you want to start that as soon as possible because it's the easiest to improve but takes the most time to improve.

1.) Register for MCAT.
2.) Order examkracker materials.
3.) Go on AAMC website and print out the topics list for biological and physical sciences.
4.) Go to www.e-mcat.com and take the free aamc 3 test. Just take the verbal part since you're not prepared for bio or physical sciences.
5.) Start studying.

I have been skimming through verbal tests(the ones from EK) and I got a 5 on it! :eek: I honestly want to go through my general chemistry book at least once, I mean I did well in the class but it was 2 years ago, and I just finished up Orgo this year, and I will be starting physics this summer (I'm a bio major). I heard verbal is the hardest section for most people on the MCAT. I think I can make it my best section, I'm a huge philosophy dork and I love reading, but that 5 is scared the living **** out of me :scared:

I have been skimming through verbal tests(the ones from EK) and I got a 5 on it! :eek: I honestly want to go through my general chemistry book at least once, I mean I did well in the class but it was 2 years ago, and I just finished up Orgo this year, and I will be starting physics this summer (I'm a bio major). I heard verbal is the hardest section for most people on the MCAT. I think I can make it my best section, I'm a huge philosophy dork and I love reading, but that 5 is scared the living **** out of me :scared:

Don't let it phase you too much. Just let it motivate you to do better! Verbal is the type of section where you have to keep at it day after day after day. Even if you are very proficient reader, you need to get comfortable with how the test is structured and how the questions are asked. To do that, you need lots and lots of practice. Try to do something to improve your verbal everyday even if its just for 5 minutes or so. Get your hands on as much practice material as possible and do 1-2 passages every single day while being cognizant of how you are approaching each passage. There are tips on verbal from many different users in this forum, and you should start trying to formulate a strategy which works best for you.