How to pay for Bryn Mawr or Goucher or other 1 year programs?

Started by kimiij
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kimiij

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently working full-time and would like to apply to Bryn Mawr for the fall but I need to decide if I can deal with the financial burdens of quitting my present job and moving to PA (I live in Jersey now). So, I have a few questions....

1. For those that went to Bryn Mawr or Goucher or other 1 year programs, how did you pay for it?

2. If you took out a loan for the tuition, did you also take out a loan for living expenses, if so how much?

3. If not, did you have a full-time or part-time job and how did that work out?

4. Did you find you had enough time to study?

5. Was it worth it? (experience, linkages, non-linkage acceptances etc.)

Thanks in advance!
 
I'm not at Bryn Mawr, and I'm not doing a structured post bac, nor am I on the East coast.

That said, you should be able to finance a year or more of postbac, through loans, in any program to which you're an admitted student. In my case, this means that as soon as I got admitted as a "5th year" student, even non-degree-seeking, I was FAFSA eligible for (at least) unsubsidized loans.

You can also get private loans: http://www.finaid.org/loans/privatestudentloans.phtml

It's incredibly scary to walk into the abyss of salary-lessness. As long as you're not knee deep in debt, you can do it. But if you're supporting a kid, a mortgage, even a car loan, you'll find that these things are not terribly consistent with pursuing a postbac or med school.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not at Bryn Mawr, and I'm not doing a structured post bac, nor am I on the East coast.

It's incredibly scary to walk into the abyss of salary-lessness. As long as you're not knee deep in debt, you can do it. But if you're supporting a kid, a mortgage, even a car loan, you'll find that these things are not terribly consistent with pursuing a postbac or med school.


Best of luck to you.


Thanks DrMidLife! I appreciate your answer....yeah, it is pretty scary but I'm 22 years old with no responsibilities so I figure its the best time if I'm going to do it. I just wanted to hear from those that had BTDT.
 
hey,

ya, im going to a one year postbac next year. loans all the way not a penny to my name. but if you want to do it, you want to do it, eh?

courage! hahaa...
 
1. For those that went to Bryn Mawr or Goucher or other 1 year programs, how did you pay for it?
Loans. I maxed out my federal loans, then added private loans on top of that. I pretty much doubled my balance from undergrad, in the space of one postbac year.

2. If you took out a loan for the tuition, did you also take out a loan for living expenses, if so how much?
Yes, and roughly as much as I needed. My school was good about adding on in the middle of the school year, once I revisited my budget and found I needed more, to move back home at the end of the program.

3. If not, did you have a full-time or part-time job and how did that work out?
No time to work.

4. Did you find you had enough time to study?
yes.

5. Was it worth it? (experience, linkages, non-linkage acceptances etc.)
Yes. The major theme of the conversation at my PA school interview was the improvement in my academics, from undergrad to postbac. I got my acceptance letter a few days after the interview. 🙂