How to Prepare an MCAT Study Schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxPreMed99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm preparing to take the MCAT in mid to late August and I'm planning to begin my studies this coming Monday (May 15th). I have all the pre-reqs except for Physics Labs and Orgo Chem 2.

I currently have the following resources at my disposal and have a very tight budget for anything additional:
1. Khan Academy
2. The Princeton Review Books: Bio/Biochem Review, Gen Chem Review, Orgo Chem Review, Psych/Soc Review, MCAT 2015: Science Workbook
3. NextStep Psych/Soc Guide
4. AAMC Official Guide to the 2015 MCAT

I'm planning to purchase a LiveOnline Kaplan course (half of it would be free thanks to my pre-medical organization's perks) but I'm not sure how much it will benefit me as compared to Princeton or studying on my own.

Furthermore I have no clue how to set up a study schedule for such a thing, though I know the general parameters are 8 hours a day every day of the week.

During this Summer, I will be taking a 2 hour course that's necessary for my degree plan from June 5th to July 6th MTWThF, Shadowing for roughly 6 hours on Fridays, possible research and volunteering if my schedule permits.

So my question would be: Looking at my parameters, what would be the best course of action for test prep? Should I do a course or no and if no, what other materials could I use if absolutely necessary.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The most important piece of advice I would give you is to schedule in some REST. Regularly. Don't study all day everyday, especially if you are also taking a course and volunteering.... That's a lot and you're likely to burn out before you even take the exam.

Courses can be useful, more for the accountability part of things than for content. So if you think you need it to stay motivated, then do the course. If you think you can wing it on your own (I did) then don't bother. As far as actual studying goes, try to change up your topics. Don't hash out one topic forever, switch it up. It helps you remember more in the long run and make connections between disciplines.

Start with a practice exam so you know where you are, then take them regularly throughout the summer. Review them fully, even the questions you get right. Write down why you got questions wrong, it will help you figure out where you are erring and how to fix it. And do as many practice questions and passages as possible. The rest is really up to your preference and style.

When are you planning to apply?

The most important piece of advice I would give you is to schedule in some REST. Regularly. Don't study all day everyday, especially if you are also taking a course and volunteering.... That's a lot and you're likely to burn out before you even take the exam.

Courses can be useful, more for the accountability part of things than for content. So if you think you need it to stay motivated, then do the course. If you think you can wing it on your own (I did) then don't bother. As far as actual studying goes, try to change up your topics. Don't hash out one topic forever, switch it up. It helps you remember more in the long run and make connections between disciplines.

Start with a practice exam so you know where you are, then take them regularly throughout the summer. Review them fully, even the questions you get right. Write down why you got questions wrong, it will help you figure out where you are erring and how to fix it. And do as many practice questions and passages as possible. The rest is really up to your preference and style.

When are you planning to apply?

I'm planning to apply for the 2019 incoming class and take a year to complete my other pre-reqs and do research, but I'd like to take my MCAT now to focus more on my application and get in early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going through the AAMC official guide and copying down all of the content categories and using that as a guide. I believe there are 25 content categories so I plan on spending about a month strictly on content.

For example, I'll do category 1A: Structure & Function of proteins and their constituent amino acids. I'll go through my review book and make notes on each section of that category, I might also watch videos on parts that aren't as clear. After I write the notes down in my notebook, I'll type them up and print them out, leaving space for additional notes, diagrams, pictures, basically anything I want to add. After that is done, I'll take a break. Later on in the day I will review the document I made again and answer questions over the material I've covered. This process takes about 5-7 hours, breaks included. I plan on doing that every day.

That's how I will handle content review. Not sure how I'll spend the rest of the time (I have roughly 9 weeks to study).

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT Self-Study Guide

Look into this. I'm taking my MCAT next year (September 2018 to maximize my preparation), and im using this google docs guide. I know I'm a tad bit late, but if you're still unsure, the google docs i posted is actually pretty helpful. I can't find the person who made it so I can't give credit, otherwise i would.

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT Self-Study Guide

Look into this. I'm taking my MCAT next year (September 2018 to maximize my preparation), and im using this google docs guide. I know I'm a tad bit late, but if you're still unsure, the google docs i posted is actually pretty helpful. I can't find the person who made it so I can't give credit, otherwise i would.
Will definitely be using this! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using SDN mobile