How to prepare for DAT as an international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maggi2510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi..I am an international dentist.And as of now NBDE exam pattern has got changed.So,for few university I need to give DAT.I am so nervous about this.Can anyone help me to guide on this?Which books,how to prepare and other important information about it?

-Best Regards
Maggi2510

Members don't see this ad.

Hi..I am an international dentist.And as of now NBDE exam pattern has got changed.So,for few university I need to give DAT.I am so nervous about this.Can anyone help me to guide on this?Which books,how to prepare and other important information about it?

-Best Regards
Maggi2510

The only school that needs the DAT is NYU. Columbia needs it only if you haven't given the Part 2 NBDE. What other schools need it? I haven't heard about these "few" universities until today! You shouldn't stress. I would take the part 1 and 2 first and then based on that... maybe take DAT if you feel like your GPA and clinical experiences are not strong enough. Otherwise, just leave it. It's not worth it. Good luck Maggi.

Thank you so much dentovis.But actually I want to get in UNC preferablly.So,for that I need to give DAT.Moreover I am late for 2013 cycle.Thus I planned that I will give DAT first and on that base I will apply in UNC and by next may or June I will also appear for NBDE 1.Thus I can apply in other Universities also.Can you give me your opinion regarding this?.........And I wish good luck for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much dentovis.But actually I want to get in UNC preferablly.So,for that I need to give DAT.Moreover I am late for 2013 cycle.Thus I planned that I will give DAT first and on that base I will apply in UNC and by next may or June I will also appear for NBDE 1.Thus I can apply in other Universities also.Can you give me your opinion regarding this?.........And I wish good luck for you.

Well my opinion is that UNC being a 4 year program may not be worth taking the DAT. The DAT is hard and it's unnecessary for a foreign trained individual.UNC's program probably isn't the best for you. I mean first off it hardly offers many seats to international students. You're better off taking your Part 1 ( let's say September?) and applying to schools near the end of this year, i.e.: Temple, Colorado, Howard, etc. You're saving time and money. The sooner you complete the part 1, and maybe the Part 2 next year... March? You can apply to all the school available for the upcoming cycle. This cycle isn't over. I say you start studying for the Part 1. Again, this is just my opinion! :)

And the other thing I would like to ask is, if i appear for nbde 1 in this october then can I get in admission for next year ?Because I am green card holder and I am coming U.S. in september or october..!Please reply.
-Best Regards

Yes. Taking your exam in October still gives you the chance to apply to certain schools like Colorado, Temple, Howard,etc. Temple and Howard begins in 2013, and Colorado is a 2014 school. If you want NYU then you need Part 1 too. So you should get that out of your way sooner so you have more schools to apply to.

And.. yes I have taken my Part 1. Are you a recent graduate or have you been practicing for some time?

I am recent graduate.I got my degree before few days.So,I am a very fresh student doctor.What about you?Which university are you planning to get through?

-Best regards.

I am recent graduate.I got my degree before few days.So,I am a very fresh student doctor.What about you?Which university are you planning to get through?

-Best regards.

I graduated last year August. I'm planning to go to any university that is willing to take me lol. Unfortunately I took my part 1 really late so I didn't manage to make deadlines.

The only school that needs the DAT is NYU. Columbia needs it only if you haven't given the Part 2 NBDE. What other schools need it? I haven't heard about these "few" universities until today! You shouldn't stress. I would take the part 1 and 2 first and then based on that... maybe take DAT if you feel like your GPA and clinical experiences are not strong enough. Otherwise, just leave it. It's not worth it. Good luck Maggi.

Hey.. not trying to pick a fight..but I read the Columbia website and it did not mention anything about taking Part 2 instead of DAT for those that have no score.. I am hoping you are right.. so please direct me to the webpage that you read this on.

Thanks!:)

Hey.. not trying to pick a fight..but I read the Columbia website and it did not mention anything about taking Part 2 instead of DAT for those that have no score.. I am hoping you are right.. so please direct me to the webpage that you read this on.

Thanks!:)

Oops, my mistake:

If you took the NBDE Part 1 after they became pass/fail, you are required to take the Dental Admissions Test (DAT) exam. You can register for the exam at: http://www.ada.org/dat.aspx. DAT scores will be required as part of the application starting with the 2013 application cycle.

:):):) I need to get myself a pair of glasses.:zip:

hi dentovis where all u have applied did year