1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

how to prepare for Emory

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MZN, Dec 3, 2002.

1. MZN

MZN Member
    7+ Year Member

hi everyone,

I have my Emory interview on Friday, and I have already read the interview feedback and checked out Emory's (not so helpful, in my opinion) web site. I have come up with a handful of answers to the why I want to go to Emory questions. Here is the question. I decided to spend the whole weekend down there (I live up north, and I was thinking that is as close as I will come to a vacation for a while), and I cannot figure out what to do. Is there a good art museam? I looked on citysearch, but it did not recomend anything spectacular. What about theater that I do not need advance tickets for? Which bars/hangouts are popular with students?

Also, does anyone have specific advice about the Emory interview or any insite into it?

thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't worry about the Emory interviews, I found them fun.

As for stuff to do:

1) The High Museum (www.highmuseum.com) is the only good museum in town. I don't think it is great, but my interviewer at Vandy thought it was good.
    2) Carlos Museum.....its on Emory's campus and has a lot of Egyptian stuff.
    3) Shakespeare Tavern-It is a pub style theater that has lots of fun plays (www.shakespearetavern.com). Tickets are $10 for students.
    4) There are lots of play houses in town. Just browse the web under msn or accessatlanta.com. I like puppets and we have the Center for Puppetry Arts (do a search for it on the web).....tickets are usually like $10. You'll feel like a kid again.
    5) I don't know about bars and stuff for the emory region....you'll have to ask one of those suburban kids. Most people go to Buckhead (any bar with a "Peachtree Rd" address on the internet). The best dance club in town (in my opinion) is Eleven50 (www.eleven50.com). There are a host of places in Atlanta though. We have a pretty good night life in my opinion (compared to the rest of the southeast).

Hope that helps.

4. batman123

batman123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The interview day there is great, although very long. The students who came to visit with us throughout the day were very easy-going and laidback. All of the administrative people are laid-back, and all of us applicants got along really well.

5. MZN

MZN Member
    7+ Year Member

sunny-- Thank you for your advice. I am about to check out the websites you suggested and make a plan for myself. I love puppets, too. I went to a musuem with a huge exhibit of puppetry through the ages when I was in Malaysia (umm, just in case you happen to be in the area. But seriously, I had never seen a whole wing of a large museum dedicated to puppetry before). Thanks again. I am bummed about this ice storm, though. It might be too cold for me to leave my hotel room. If I even make it there in the first place

6. MZN

MZN Member
    7+ Year Member

Sunny,

Will it be easy for me to find a cab back to my hotel on Sat night from the Peachtree Street area or do I need to arrange for one before hand? Is it safe to take public transportation at night, and is there any near the Shakespeare Tavern? Also, is there parking? Should I rent a car?

thanks

7. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    atlanta public transit :laugh:

please, rent a car

8. MZN

MZN Member
    7+ Year Member

well, it looks as though I am not getting there, anyway. My flight was cancelled because of all the snow up here, and the airline will not refund the price of my tickets, and it wants an $100 service charge to change the dates. Grrrr. What is the weather like in Atlanta?

9. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1) Cabs are plentiful on Peachtree St.
    2) Parking is available, although sometimes expensive. Renting a car is easy, but you might get lost.
    3) Marta is the mass transit system. There is a stop (north avenue) within walking distance of shakespeare tavern.
    4) Sorry about the weather. It is wet and about 36 degrees here.