how to prepare for Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MZN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I have my Emory interview on Friday, and I have already read the interview feedback and checked out Emory's (not so helpful, in my opinion) web site. I have come up with a handful of answers to the why I want to go to Emory questions. Here is the question. I decided to spend the whole weekend down there (I live up north, and I was thinking that is as close as I will come to a vacation for a while), and I cannot figure out what to do. Is there a good art museam? I looked on citysearch, but it did not recomend anything spectacular. What about theater that I do not need advance tickets for? Which bars/hangouts are popular with students?

Also, does anyone have specific advice about the Emory interview or any insite into it?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about the Emory interviews, I found them fun.

As for stuff to do:

1) The High Museum (www.highmuseum.com) is the only good museum in town. I don't think it is great, but my interviewer at Vandy thought it was good.
2) Carlos Museum.....its on Emory's campus and has a lot of Egyptian stuff.
3) Shakespeare Tavern-It is a pub style theater that has lots of fun plays (www.shakespearetavern.com). Tickets are $10 for students.
4) There are lots of play houses in town. Just browse the web under msn or accessatlanta.com. I like puppets and we have the Center for Puppetry Arts (do a search for it on the web).....tickets are usually like $10. You'll feel like a kid again.
5) I don't know about bars and stuff for the emory region....you'll have to ask one of those suburban kids. Most people go to Buckhead (any bar with a "Peachtree Rd" address on the internet). The best dance club in town (in my opinion) is Eleven50 (www.eleven50.com). There are a host of places in Atlanta though. We have a pretty good night life in my opinion (compared to the rest of the southeast).

Hope that helps.

The interview day there is great, although very long. The students who came to visit with us throughout the day were very easy-going and laidback. All of the administrative people are laid-back, and all of us applicants got along really well.

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny-- Thank you for your advice. I am about to check out the websites you suggested and make a plan for myself. I love puppets, too. I went to a musuem with a huge exhibit of puppetry through the ages when I was in Malaysia (umm, just in case you happen to be in the area. But seriously, I had never seen a whole wing of a large museum dedicated to puppetry before). Thanks again. I am bummed about this ice storm, though. It might be too cold for me to leave my hotel room. If I even make it there in the first place

Sunny,

Will it be easy for me to find a cab back to my hotel on Sat night from the Peachtree Street area or do I need to arrange for one before hand? Is it safe to take public transportation at night, and is there any near the Shakespeare Tavern? Also, is there parking? Should I rent a car?

thanks

well, it looks as though I am not getting there, anyway. My flight was cancelled because of all the snow up here, and the airline will not refund the price of my tickets, and it wants an $100 service charge to change the dates. Grrrr. What is the weather like in Atlanta?

1) Cabs are plentiful on Peachtree St.
2) Parking is available, although sometimes expensive. Renting a car is easy, but you might get lost.
3) Marta is the mass transit system. There is a stop (north avenue) within walking distance of shakespeare tavern.
4) Sorry about the weather. It is wet and about 36 degrees here.