Emory vs Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon776

Reaction score
Decided.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you succeed in the curricula, you won't go wrong either way, but I agree with the comment above: if medical school only set you back 150K (I'm presuming a decent need-based scholarship is involved?) after 4 years, add say 100K from interest-accruing undergrad debt... wow. What's your potential earnings if you go through and succeed in neurosurgery? Tough call to turn down a free ride, but I would go for Harvard too (for that little amount of debt).

Other experts who are physicians may chime in.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not in Neurosurgery, but I graduated from Harvard, so I will say the following:
  • I know three current neurosurgery residents who graduated from Emory in the last few years. Two are at Harvard and one is at Mount Sinai. I just say this to show that it is clearly very possible to be successful in neurosurgery from Emory.
  • You say, "What kind of idiot turns down Harvard?" but I honestly feel like an idiot for taking on a ton of debt to go to Harvard over full rides at other great schools. Admittedly, it cost me more than it would cost you, but I really regret my decision, and I would encourage you not to ignore the money aspect. What I would encourage you to ignore is the layman's prestige. For example, my brother went to WashU, which has infinitely less layman's prestige than Harvard, but HMS didn't open any doors for me that WashU didn't open for him.

Reactions: 3 users
For 150 K and interest in Neurosurgery + other very competitive specialties minus neurology, I would go to HMS. Emory is awesome and you will be able to match neurosurgery from there no doubt at all, but it will be easier from Harvard for sure.
I'm not in Neurosurgery, but I graduated from Harvard, so I will say the following:
  • I know three current neurosurgery residents who graduated from Emory in the last few years. Two are at Harvard and one is at Mount Sinai. I just say this to show that it is clearly very possible to be successful in neurosurgery from Emory.
  • You say, "What kind of idiot turns down Harvard?" but I honestly feel like an idiot for taking on a ton of debt to go to Harvard over full rides at other great schools. Admittedly, it cost me more than it would cost you, but I really regret my decision, and I would encourage you not to ignore the money aspect. What I would encourage you to ignore is the layman's prestige. For example, my brother went to WashU, which has infinitely less layman's prestige than Harvard, but HMS didn't open any doors for me that WashU didn't open for him.
In response to Egg-Benedict, I agree that if OP was choosing between WashU COA and Harvard at 150K it would be silly to choose Harvard because they match equivalently, but Emory doesn't match quite as well on average as WashU and Harvard. Though, I will reiterate there are not limits to where an Emory MD can match.

OP, I guess if you are in a lot of undergrad debt, like 100K plus, I would not go to HMS, because you're really starting to dig a hole once you get at 200-250K plus debt. You're also gonna feel silly if you go to HMS and decide you want to do IM or something where it will be harder to make that debt up and you could match really damn well from Emory. That debt could influence your future decisions to not go into a field you actually like that pays less. So, actually I change my decision to Emory unless you are dead set on those specialties you mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user