How to prepare for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNicholas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to prepare for the MCAT? Is taking a prep course really worth it, or could I just study on my own? Also, which are the best prep books out there? I bought a Princeton Review book but it looks pretty worthless.

Members don't see this ad.

There is an MCAT discussion forum that you can post this question to on the SDN network.

I took Kaplan and was very happy with it. But the fact is 99% of the results are from your own hard work. I just took Kaplan because I could have access to their practice materials. The lectures are utterly useless.

get the practice items from the AAMC (~$100). The practice materials from the kaplan and princeton are useful. Lectures didn't help me much either

the best kept secret in MCAT prep are the examcrackers materials. (examcrackers.com) though i am not fond of the workbooks, the audio cd's and the concept books are invaluable! just add some hard work and you will be amazed- they have a discussion board for any, and i mean any, MCAT related questions free to anyone. also, they have a full time staff member that answers any posts about admissions and personalizes advice as to which schools to apply to and other admissions strategies. (should be getting paid by them for this plug...)
good luck