How to prepare for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaheed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who goes to medical school now give advice on how we can prepare for first year of medical school? What classes should we take on our last semester at college? Would reading some MS1 material over free time be helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone who goes to medical school now give advice on how we can prepare for first year of medical school? What classes should we take on our last semester at college? Would reading some MS1 material over free time be helpful?

Are you set to start fall of 2013? Vast majority of people are going to say no. And for the most part you shouldn't "pre-study."

What you should do is learn how to study effectively.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/success/

http://drwillbe.blogspot.com/2011/08/anki-guide-for-medical-students.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Best prep one can do is get rested up and get ready to drink from the info firehose.........:idea:

This. Don't spend any time prereading what you think you will be learning MS1. It's not worth it, and you will regret it later. Enjoy the chance to relax while you can.

What I would recommend is getting into good health routines now. Getting used to eating healthy, working out regularly, and having some regular stress release in place will make it more likely that you will continue it in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, the most useful thing you could do is enjoy your last year. You won't be able to prestudy effectively. If you're really anxious, shadow some doctors and get some perspective. Maybe also go through the Allopathic threads and see what people recommend as far as books and websites for anatomy, physio, histo, blah blah blah. You'll have the rest of med school to study for med school.

Also, you should up your protein dose to 2g/lb and hit the gym 3 times a day. That way you'll be massive, can throw around the "I'm a doctor" thing all summer at bars, and it will give you a higher level to deteriorate from when school starts to eat up all your time. By the end of MS3, those 28" arms will be comparable to those of a 3rd grade girl as your body has consumed then retracting for 6 hrs on surgery rotation. That virile six pak, a distant memory, now more like a box of bisquick. Don't LOOK at me! :(

Reactions: 2 users
No to reading in your free time. But, if you have time in your schedule, I found that biochemistry and anatomy are useful classes to have taken.

Reactions: 1 user
I studied the summer before entering, found out what books I should get for the year, studied anatomy and found what works and what doesn't work, and modified my study habits to be able to get through the amount of work each day that was required. WORTH IT.

There is a lot to be said about keeping the stress low. Seems like most classmates are tired/stressed/depressed. I've been happy, the first block with upper limb/thorax was mostly just review, which gave me a lot of time to fill in the anatomy with clinical info. More importantly I already knew how to keep up with the work/study effectively because I made the mistakes in the summer, learned the wrong way to approach anatomy, ways that took too long to learn.

Atleast find out what the right books are/what works for you so your not doing that/learning how to study when you should be studying, which is another stress in itself. Try to get your lab dissectors/syllabus-objectives list and work through that stuff, and see if you can get through a days material using your current study methods. Do enough work now, and it will come easy later. It was like that for me at least anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Instead of pre-studying if you're not already good at it, learn to make a schedule and stick to it. Be prepared to study a lot, but schedule in other things to keep you sane. Learn to cook/prepare quick but filling/nutritious meals. REALLY Learn how you study best (where you have actual retention!), and when you study best. Get everything ready as far as apartment, car, money or anything really important done weeks before medical school starts. If you're going to another city/part of town for school, learn the city you'll be in, and the best places to eat, shop, the and best routes to avoid traffic.
These are little things that make a big difference. If you have good grasp of this before medical school starts, you won't have as much crap to try and figure out the first week of medical school and you'll already be ahead. It's like warming up/stretching before a marathon. Some people just go straight to the marathon without warming up and thus don't start off as good as they could have.

As far as classes in undergraduate, if you have time take embryology, biochem, genetics, anatomy & physiology and pharmacology. If you don't, it's not a big deal. But if you are able to have an idea of what material will look like, even if it's not close to what those subjects in medical school will cover, having a basic understanding of some terms and concepts in that course is better than not had any at all.

What everyone else said.

But it bears repeating: pre-studying for medical school is insanely low-yield. Spend your spare time after acceptance on getting organized, getting in shape, generally having a good time, whatever. But don't pre-study. It's not worth it.

Work on your alcohol tolerance over the summer.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Travel, enjoy your free time, spend time with family, read for pleasure and save your money. Those are the only beneficial things you can do. You have the next decade to learn medicine.

Don't do anything related to medical school.

If you actually want to prepare, read for leisure. Do not preread, but read every book you wanted to. The people that seem to be struggling the most are the ones who read very slowly. I would also recommend getting a bunch of audiobooks onto your ipod (checking them out from the library and burning them is bad but it works) and listening to them at 2-2.5x speed. This allows me to watch recorded lectures at a much faster pace. that is about all i would do though.

Pre-meds that are in limbo before they come to med school Always ask this question and forego this information and most of those people are in this thread posting to you telling you not to do it because they were the same pre-meds asking this question. Because you don't understand and you never will understand what you are about to experience in med school.

1 Lecture in anatomy will be 2 months of lecture of Undergrad.

I understand you want to prepare, but the only things you can prepare are your mind by strengthening it. Take up a drug and try to quit. Do a marathon. Try to make a hit single on youtube. Because those are the only mental fortitude exercises you can do to prepare you for medical school.

Are you set to start fall of 2013? Vast majority of people are going to say no. And for the most part you shouldn't "pre-study."

What you should do is learn how to study effectively.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/success/

http://drwillbe.blogspot.com/2011/08/anki-guide-for-medical-students.html

Thanks for the plug :)

To the OP, establishing effective habits for learning anything is probably the best thing you could do for yourself. Not just for med school, but for life. Since you're in your senior year and you've got some leeway to experiment, check out these links and others and start trying out the methods. See what works. A caveat: the rate of information coming at you in med school is way more than undergrad, so just consider the need to be efficient with your time. But like everyone else said, spending your time pre-reading for med school is really low yield. The free time you have so is remarkably precious - do stuff you've always wanted to do. You may not get the chance to be so bold and adventurous for a long time.

UPDATE 2015-06-10: For those who are interested in setting up effective methods for studying in med school, I've written a comprehensive guide that goes great detail on how to do that.

Last edited:
I'm an M1 that is taking my anatomy final this Friday. The pace of med school and everything is really not that bad, most of what I read on SDN is extreme exaggeration (i.e. "1 lecture of anatomy is two months of undergrad work" - that is just bull). And as far as efficiency, I really haven't studied any differently from undergrad than I do now, I just study more, so I have no idea what people mean when they say you will become so much more efficient at studying.

I think med students just like to complain how much work they have to do because it's just built up in everyone's head that it's so hard

/rant

For the love of god don't study for medical school before you get here. I didn't open a single book and I've done very well through the four years here.

The pace of med school and everything is really not that bad, most of what I read on SDN is extreme exaggeration

I think there are some parts that are pretty challenging. By far the most challenging is time management. Overall though I'm pretty happy with what I do.

I'm an M1 that is taking my anatomy final this Friday. The pace of med school and everything is really not that bad, most of what I read on SDN is extreme exaggeration (i.e. "1 lecture of anatomy is two months of undergrad work" - that is just bull). And as far as efficiency, I really haven't studied any differently from undergrad than I do now, I just study more, so I have no idea what people mean when they say you will become so much more efficient at studying.

I think med students just like to complain how much work they have to do because it's just built up in everyone's head that it's so hard

/rant

It gets worse don't worry.. first year is for the most part an extension of college. Most of the material you've seen before in some sense but maybe not in the cohesive pattern and detail you'll get as an MS1 but if you have a bachelors in a biomedical science MS1 won't be much of a challenge/change except for some more studying. MS2 a lot of ppl freak out because its all new stuff and its a lot more of it. I personally enjoyed second year a lot more than 1st. I agree that 1 lecture of anatomy is not 2 months of undergrad but a day of medical school anatomy lectures could be a month of undergrad information and overall I'd disagree with you that people are exaggerating you just haven't been in it long enough or your genius.

It gets worse don't worry.. first year is for the most part an extension of college. Most of the material you've seen before in some sense but maybe not in the cohesive pattern and detail you'll get as an MS1 but if you have a bachelors in a biomedical science MS1 won't be much of a challenge/change except for some more studying. MS2 a lot of ppl freak out because its all new stuff and its a lot more of it. I personally enjoyed second year a lot more than 1st. I agree that 1 lecture of anatomy is not 2 months of undergrad but a day of medical school anatomy lectures could be a month of undergrad information and overall I'd disagree with you that people are exaggerating you just haven't been in it long enough or your genius.

I've gotta agree with MedicalName regarding the exaggeration - I came into med school convinced based on everything I had read that my "personal" life was essentially over and that I was going to be perpetually in over my head, which just hasn't been true at all. I haven't found it to be much of a leap from from undergrad - in fact, with P/F grading and block exam schedule, my stress level is a small fraction of what it was in undergrad, I'm much happier, and with the exception of exam weeks, I have more free time. It's obviously a lot of work, but I do think that med students' affinity for complaining about things makes it seem much worse than reality, which I've found to be a fairly natural progression from UG.

OP, you will do fine, trust me. If you managed to get in, it means you managed to perform in UG at a level that proves you're more than capable of handling med school. They are not going to expect you to know any anatomy, physiology, etc. And at least at my school, we pretty much always reviewed every basic science concept that they felt was important for us to know when it was necessary to know it.

Last edited:
OP

I don't know about pre-studying or the demands of medical school yet; however, I recently got a paid position in a pathology lab working as a tech and I feel that my knowledge of anatomy and medical terminology is greatly increasing.

If you have the time, and want to earn some money while learning, you should look into working as a pathology lab tech. It has been a lot of fun.

also if your school offers some optional summer thing DO NOT DO IT

relax, drink merrily, and enjoy your time off. MS1 is definitely doable but its a lot of work, but 99% of people who get in are smart enough to handle it

I've gotta agree with MedicalName regarding the exaggeration - I came into med school convinced based on everything I had read that my "personal" life was essentially over and that I was going to be perpetually in over my head, which just hasn't been true at all. I haven't found it to be much of a leap from from undergrad - in fact, with P/F grading and block exam schedule, my stress level is a small fraction of what it was in undergrad, I'm much happier, and with the exception of exam weeks, I have more free time. It's obviously a lot of work, but I do think that med students' affinity for complaining about things makes it seem much worse than reality, which I've found to be a fairly natural progression from UG.

OP, you will do fine, trust me. If you managed to get in, it means you managed to perform in UG at a level that proves you're more than capable of handling med school. They are not going to expect you to know any anatomy, physiology, etc. And at least at my school, we pretty much always reviewed every basic science concept that they felt was important for us to know when it was necessary to know it.

And again your an MS1 did you even read what I said? I alrdy said I agree some people take it over the top exaggerating but there is some merit to some of whats said and you will probably understand or at least appreciate what ppl r bitching at as you go through more of it..

Do nothing for two to three weeks, chug tons of beer and cheap vodka drinks. Then for 1 week read twenty four hours a day and on the night of the last day try to alcohol poison yourself with all your new awesome friends. Also work on hand eye coordination to protect yourself from all the bras being thrown at your face when ladies hear you're a student doctor. Repeat. Yolo. Win.

One poster said people are unhappy or stressed bc they didnt pre study like he did. Wrong. They are unhappy because they aren't handling the demands and pressures of school. This is a skill. It also doesn't go away in our career, being overwhelmed / unending demands. So learning to real with that and be happy/relaxed during M1 is a good thing. Pre studying is just putting it on hold til M2.

Well you're an idiot. I did not say they were unhappy because they DIDNT prestudy. Most are unhappy because of the work load and trying to adjust to study schedule, WHILE trying to learn which sources to use/how to study. Which I didn't have to deal with becasue I already knew the material, knew what sources to use, also when knew material was presented during head/neck, I knew how I should approach the material quickly, while everyone was still learning how to study.

I also disagree with people saying w/e you study will be low yield. Yeah, randomly reading will, reading is one of the lowest yield activities you could engage in. Thats why you get your class syllabus, and have to directed study, jeez, its not that hard.

Don't listen to these fools. Atleast do a little to see what your getting into. Again, there is a lot to be said for keeping stress low. You can do that by moderately applying yourself now.

Seriously, no ones ever made honoring anatomy look this easy.
Worth it.

Well you're an idiot. I did not say they were unhappy because they DIDNT prestudy. Most are unhappy because of the work load and trying to adjust to study schedule, WHILE trying to learn which sources to use/how to study. Which I didn't have to deal with becasue I already knew the material, knew what sources to use, also when knew material was presented during head/neck, I knew how I should approach the material quickly, while everyone was still learning how to study.

I also disagree with people saying w/e you study will be low yield. Yeah, randomly reading will, reading is one of the lowest yield activities you could engage in. Thats why you get your class syllabus, and have to directed study, jeez, its not that hard.

Don't listen to these fools. Atleast do a little to see what your getting into. Again, there is a lot to be said for keeping stress low. You can do that by moderately applying yourself now.

Worth it.

@medschoolgunner: Step 1 exam today, Step 2 prep tonight. It's the beautiful symphony of medicine: We must move to the next patient. No time to dwell on loss.

In all seriousness, one could study before school starts, especially if you know which region you are going to start dissecting. For us it was Upper extremity. if you got netters flash cards and memorized all the UE, you'd have been miles ahead of your class when school started. Not that i recommend someone do that, just saying it wouldn't be a waste of time.

Last edited:
What people are saying that it is almost always pointless to waste time pre-studying. Millions of med students go into anatomy without knowing anything, and do very well. Sure, that "leg up" sounds nice, but what about all the other things in your life? Think of it as one of the last stretch of free time other than the summer after first year. You'll still have free time in med school, but why pre-study when you can honor anatomy without it?

Good luck to future med students. I know gaining 5% in a class or 10 additional points on boards by sacrificing your health, free time, and relationships seems cool to some but I in the long run you'll regret it. Yeah, you scored 5% higher with ease but someone else spent a summer with their best friends or their significant other. Yours sounds like a terrible life.

Said yet another idiot.
Yeah, while everyone else now studies all day till midnight I'm relaxing, while they wish they had lives right now I've been living mine. Why? Because the work never piled up for me.

You are ignorant, probably you gave up a long time ago when you couldn't do well in school and have the "its not worth it" attitude like so many others. Go be pathetic in another field that doesn't involve peoples lives.

No offense, but that feeling is very temporary. Once the stuff you pre-studied is done, and when your med student friends quickly get up to speed in the material and how to study(or at least, try to), you'll be in the same boat. Which isn't a rocky boat, but it'll even out :)

Also, you're acting like him saying that means that he's gonna compromise patient's lives. It doesn't matter. If you are given 3-4 weeks to study XXX, that's the expectation. If someone wants to spend their free time "pre-studying", good for them. But noone cares that the person studies early, cause it doesn't matter to most med students.

And I doubt everyone is studying all day till midnight. Remember, some people exaggerate how much they study ;)

The type of person who gets the class syllabus before med school starts, spends a summer prestudying, calls people fools/idiots when they disagree and brags about class grades online is probably not the type of person you want to be.

Good luck to future med students. I know gaining 5% in a class or 10 additional points on boards by sacrificing your health, free time, and relationships seems cool to some but I in the long run you'll regret it. Yeah, you scored 5% higher with ease but someone else spent a summer with their best friends or their significant other. Yours sounds like a terrible life.[/QUOTE
I'll agree. You sound like an idiot. I have a wife and a newborn baby at home and I'm in the top 10% of my class. Balance can be had while doing well. I was a raft guide between MS1 and MS2. You sounds like a bitter student.

Last edited:

Worth it.

PS. I'll save you the time and effort and go ahead and spill your secrets...

1. Netter's anatomy atlas
2. BRS Physiology
3. High Yield Biochemistry from 2005 or older
4. Goljan Rapid Review Pathology
5. Clinical Micro Made Redic. Simple
6. Pharmacology Recall
7. Small Baby Robbins Pathology
8. First Aid USMLE Step 1
9. Uworld Question bank

There you go. 2 years of "Secrets" and resources that'll make medical school easier! Also make sure you do numerous passes through the material (4-5 before each test)! How do I know this works? I've tutored 3 years of failing medical students and seen them make A's after making the change.

Last edited:
The type of person who gets the class syllabus before med school starts, spends a summer prestudying, calls people fools/idiots when they disagree and brags about class grades online is probably not the type of person you want to be.

Good luck to future med students. I know gaining 5% in a class or 10 additional points on boards by sacrificing your health, free time, and relationships seems cool to some but I in the long run you'll regret it. Yeah, you scored 5% higher with ease but someone else spent a summer with their best friends or their significant other. Yours sounds like a terrible life.
I'll agree. You sound like an idiot. I have a wife and a newborn baby at home and I'm in the top 10% of my class. Balance can be had while doing well. I was a raft guide between MS1 and MS2. You sounds like a bitter student.

Lol. You're going into EM. People with 220 and 66th % will be doing the same job as you. Hell, probably even at the same hospital. I don't use this site often but I've noticed you like to mention your class rank and board scores often. Good job. I'm not sure how getting a girl pregnant makes you balanced but whatever you say.

Anyway, I said nothing about class rank or not being balanced while doing well. I was talking about studying for med school before school and lacking balance.

Enjoy EM. Your personality fits.

Last edited:
Lol. You're going into EM. People with 220 and 66th % will be doing the same job as you. Hell, probably even at the same hospital. I don't use this site often but I've noticed you like to mention your class rank and board scores often. Good job. I'm not sure how getting a girl pregnant makes you balanced but whatever you say.

Anyway, I said nothing about class rank or not being balanced while doing well. I was talking about studying for med school before school and lacking balance.

Enjoy EM. Your personality fits.

sigh

Last edited:
P/F ... all the matters is step 1 buddy.

You sound like a model student. Everyone is lucky to have your advice.

I guess people can decide to go with your advice or the majority.

sign

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that it was a waste of time to study and do well in medical school? Lol. I didn't do well in medical school for the sole purpose of matching into derm/path and trying to prove all the "haters" wrong when I show up at a reunion in a Porsche and some 25 year old model with double d's. I did well in medical school b/c it's our job to learn the material and develop into a competent and capable physician. Some people are able to do well without sacrificing all that is their life and some are not. Some could have twice the prep time and still not do as well as others in their class. It's called being naturally talented in test taking or being able to assimilate large amounts of material quicker than others. I'm by no means the smartest or most dedicated student in my class. There are numerous people that work harder than I do that rank above and below me.

I'm a non-traditional medical student and came in with maturity and focus that a lot of my colleagues failed to have. The result is a higher GPA and consequentially higher board scores. I am going into EM because I love the field, the diversity of patient complaints, and the variety of demographics that I will have the opportunity of treating. I also place an emphasis on family and thus value my time outside of medicine. I have no interest in dedicating my life to medicine and ignoring the other things that mean a whole lot more to me than out performing the other people in my class.

The sole reason that I post scores and grades is to show the other neurotic and less confident students on this forum that you don't have to read 600 pages of Guyton and 1000 pages of Pathology, prior to medical school, in order to be able to match into the field of your dreams. I could go into any field if I so desired, and I decided to follow my own academic passion and interest and pursue a career in EM.

I didn't say that people should not do well in school. School is nothing more than a stepping stone for residency. Every person in AOA is not a better doctor than someone who was 80th or 70th percentile. That could be as small as a 5 or 10 % difference on exams. So many people talk about grades and board scores but really they are just a stepping stone to residency and are not prognostic of a successful career. Like you said, many people work hard. What if someone works just as hard as you but arent as talented andonly get a 235 and top 1/2 of class? Are they forever destined for mediocrity?

Anyway, im sure you are a very smart and accomplished guy and I hope you do well in residency.

And again your an MS1 did you even read what I said? I alrdy said I agree some people take it over the top exaggerating but there is some merit to some of whats said and you will probably understand or at least appreciate what ppl r bitching at as you go through more of it..

I'm an MS2, and I did read what you wrote. I was just stating my opinion on the matter brought up by MedicalName, and quoted you only to tie in with your conversation, not as a direct response to what you wrote.

For the bolded, I found that taking college biochemistry has been most helpful for medical school. However, don't go out of your way to take it 2nd semester senior year (and certainly don't take the lab).

After you graduate, the only books you should be picking up should be for leisurely reading. Trust the 99% of us who say that pre-studying for medical school is a waste of your time and a waste of one of your last real summers...ever.

LMAO what a flame fest this turned into. Wowza.

Pre-study for MS1 if you want. You're going to feel pretty crappy when you talk to new classmates about what they did over their last truly free summer of their lives, and hear about the awesome things they did, when you were cooped in your room looking at Netter's flash cards...

Now that I'm a second year, the thought of studying before school started seems laughably absurd. What paltry handful of factoids I might have acquired with "studying" on the summer off would have been completely insignificant when stacked up with the massive amount of info that was dropped on me in the first week.

DO NOT DO IT; IT IS NOT GOING TO HELP