How To Prepare For The Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsperson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, my plan to prepare for the MCAT is to spend this summer rereading my general science textbooks and then spend from sept to april specifically studying for the MCAT. Is this a good plan? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hsperson said:
Alright, my plan to prepare for the MCAT is to spend this summer rereading my general science textbooks and then spend from sept to april specifically studying for the MCAT. Is this a good plan? Thanks.

As long as you do the Sept to April part you should be fine.

hsperson said:

DUDE! Don't re-read your textbooks! MCAT science is not nearly as detailed as what you learned in class... you need to find a "comprehensive review" of some sort that'll get you what you need to know and nothing else... don't waste your whole summer on content... you need to devote most of your time to learning how to think like the MCAT...

I used Kaplan stuff and thought it was pretty useful... their science stuff is actually a little harder than AAMC so it's good prep... but honestly, it probably doesn't matter which you use, as long as you actually use it. But definitely, definitely don't reread your books... man...

hsperson said:
Waste of your time. The science is basic. Your book is dense. Use a prep book that has the information already distilled down to an understandable level.

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
Waste of your time. The science is basic. Your book is dense. Use a prep book that has the information already distilled down to an understandable level.

Agreed, while some people say they used their text books to study I think it would go beyond the scope of the MCAT. Get a study book or two. Buy as many practice tests as you can stand to take. Go over all the questions on the test to see why you missed and why you got questions right. Learn to guess well.

If you want to read textbooks read TPR's science review books instead. That way you will still be overwhelmed with info. but targeted for MCAT prep. Between TPR's, Kaplan's, and EK's review material, I had all my bases covered. However, that is overkill and really all you need is the material from one prep company.