How to prevent an adcom from seeing an email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmTheBest35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I got an interview from CUSM, and as you may well know if youve ever applied there, they have no problem taking their sweet time informing you of your admissions status. I had my interview april 5, so its been about a month, but to make a long story short, i got drunk last night and emailed the adcom about what was taking so long. I kind of regret what I wrote so my question to you guys is whether there is any way to delete an email? I deleted it from my sent box but i don't know if that affects what the recipient sees in their inbox. I also googled how to prevent the adcom from seeing it but it seems really complicated, involving technologies and/or capabilities that I simply do not have. So my last hope here is to see maybe whether you guys have maybe found yourself in a similar situation and what you did to maybe navigate through the ordeal? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Hope that you have an A elsewhere.

Depends on what the message actually said though. I'm very intrigued to see how severe the damage is

Reactions: 1 users
So, I got an interview from CUSM, and as you may well know if youve ever applied there, they have no problem taking their sweet time informing you of your admissions status. I had my interview april 5, so its been about a month, but to make a long story short, i got drunk last night and emailed the adcom about what was taking so long. I kind of regret what I wrote so my question to you guys is whether there is any way to delete an email? I deleted it from my sent box but i don't know if that affects what the recipient sees in their inbox. I also googled how to prevent the adcom from seeing it but it seems really complicated, involving technologies and/or capabilities that I simply do not have. So my last hope here is to see maybe whether you guys have maybe found yourself in a similar situation and what you did to maybe navigate through the ordeal? Thanks.
Deleting the message from your sent folder will not prevent the admissions office from seeing it. Depending on what you wrote, you may be SOL. F

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only way I can think of that you can hope to salvage this is to send them an email immediately saying that your little brother got a hold of your phone and emailed them and apologize profusely. He had asked you the day before if you had received a response from them yet and you said not yet, so your very immature brother sent them a rude message.

Once you do that, delete this post, and never touch alcohol again.
Nothing like lying to enter a profession that values honesty.

Are you aware that Admissions Deans do monitor SDN?

Reactions: 4 users
Nope, you're out of luck.

I don't know which is worse, your sending an email while you were drunk, or having the entitled attitude.

You are rejected from every medical school you apply to until you get the accept email in your inbox, and as such should always be working on your plan B

Last edited:
Nope, you're out of luck.

I don't know which is worse, you're sending an email while you were drunk, or having the entitled attitude.

You are rejected from every medical school you apply to until you get the accept email in your inbox, and as such should always be working on your plan B
The email was definitely worse, I can assure you

Nothing like lying to enter a profession that values honesty.

Are you aware that Admissions Deans do monitor SDN?
Believe me, I would never do what he was saying. I have way more integrity and character than to do something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Lmao. No advice, just taking it in.

Reactions: 2 users
While it varies from school to school, applicants do not usually hear back in less than a month after their interview.

And I agree with what has been mentioned, you can’t delete the message from your side. It already was transmitted and sent to their servers.

Pray that it was lost in their inbox or went to their spam

Reactions: 1 user
You have basically provided the admissions committee with evidence that you are not ready for medical school.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
You have provided a great story for admissions staff for the next professional meeting when we all sit around dinner tables and tell entertaining stories about applicant mistakes while getting drunk ourselves. Not that what you did had never happened before.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
You have provided a great story for admissions staff for the next professional meeting when we all sit around dinner tables and tell entertaining stories about applicant mistakes while getting drunk ourselves. Not that what you did had never happened before.
You're an admissions person? Is there any room left in your upcoming class? I am 3.5/515. What are my chances?

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have basically provided the admissions committee with evidence that you are not ready for medical school.
Why would that make me not ready for medical school? Because of one mistake? That's stupid.

• Dislike
Could you maybe summarize/show what you wrote? Sorta hard to determine the severity of the issue.

Nah this is gonna be viewed as a positive thing dawg. This is precisely the "get done" advocate for yourself behavior adcoms WANT to see. You saw inaction and you chose to address it directly. I'd accept an A in the mail in the coming weeks.

#sigmagrindset

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Adcoms have lots of applications from students who don't send emails while drinking. If a surly email is received, they have plenty of alternatives. I hope you have some other options. Sorry you jeopardized all your hard work.

• Love
We have yet to encounter a (drunk) applicant coming up to our table asking this question. ;)
So then it sounds like I can really add to the diversity of the class. This will be great.

• Haha
  • Inappropriate
Nah this is gonna be viewed as a positive thing dawg. This is precisely the "get done" advocate for yourself behavior adcoms WANT to see. You saw inaction and you chose to address it directly. I'd accept an A in the mail in the coming weeks.

#sigmagrindset
I actually thought of that but at the same time it could go equally the other direction. So it's a risk. I've tried my best exploring my options to prevent the email from being read, but I am sure at this point that they have already seen it. Oh well. Here is to hoping for the best! This has been an interesting point of my journey to the white coat, that's for sure.

So then it sounds like I can really add to the diversity of the class. This will be great.
Good one! You really had us going for awhile. If you really are serious and this lacking in insight, I have doubts you would actually make it through med school without a professionalism action.

• Love
I wish you the best, you sound like a chill person who just made a really dumb mistake.

Reactions: 3 users
Good one! You really had us going for awhile. If you really are serious and this lacking in insight, I have doubts you would actually make it through med school without a professionalism action.
OP has been trolling SDN for 10+ years. Funny how the GPA and MCAT scores changed over time. But 8/10 for sure.
Just got the email that my application is complete
3.2/509/OOS/IA/White

hi everybody. let me just cut right to the chase and stuff. i retook the mcat and stuff and got a 514 and stuff. im feeling pretty meh about the score and stuff but its better than what i got last time and stuff - which was a 509. so whatever. and stuff. my question is that i have submitted several secondaries already and stuff. are they going to see my new score and stuff? should i notify schools and stuff? i dont know what to do and stuff. i scored 125 on cars. im actually kind of pissed and stuff.

im very happy with my responses to this secondary. i hope i convince them. i have a 3.2 GPA (3.5 with grade replacements) and have a 514 mcat. I do, however, have an IA, criminal background, and am a white male which doesnt do me any favors. hope i can get in.

They haven't gotten around to my R yet. 3.2 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA

Just got an email from this school. Sounded like they were looking for more applicants, so I just sent in my aacomas app. GPA 3.4 MCAT 514 OOS

• Love
After reading this thread, I’m 90% sure you’re trolling. If not, you have some serioussss maturing to do before medical school. Even if you manage to finesse Casper and your interviewer into thinking you have the character and mindset to heed the professional expectations that come with a career in medicine, I’m pretty sure your classmates and/or professors will see right through it before long.

If you’re not trolling, some serious introspection is needed after the blatant lack of self-awareness displayed here (not so much in the initial post as your ensuing comments). If you are trolling, well played; you just won 5 mins of my life lmao

• Love
Well it appears I have a lot of introspection i need to do. Thank you for all your comments. I have definitely learned a lot from this ordeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.