How to respond to "What do you do for a living?"

Started by StayhomePT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

StayhomePT

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to ask you guys on how to respond when people ask you "What do you do for a living?"

I seem to have trouble answering this question since I'm not currently employed, but I'm a licensed PT. I'm currently looking for a job and until I get one, this question always seem to catch me off guard. I can't say I just graduated PT school because that was years ago and it took me multiple attempts to pass the NPTE.
 
I want to ask you guys on how to respond when people ask you "What do you do for a living?"

I seem to have trouble answering this question since I'm not currently employed, but I'm a licensed PT. I'm currently looking for a job and until I get one, this question always seem to catch me off guard. I can't say I just graduated PT school because that was years ago and it took me multiple attempts to pass the NPTE.
You don't do anything for a living if you are unemployed. "I'm looking for work"
 
I tell people that I am a physical therapist. We work with people in pain and help them eliminate, decrease, or manage their pain. we also work with . . . the list goes on. You could say that you are an expert in movement disorders, physical performance enhancement etc . . . whatever your current position happens to look like.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I passed my national boards so I can happily say I'm a licensed Doctor of Physical Therapy. Currently, I'm in the negotiating phase of interviews but, after the specifics have been hammered out, ill be working in an outpatient/inpatient setting with mainly [take your pick of patient populations].