How to respond to "Why not get a PhD?" to PhD interviewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enigma85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it comes up, how do you nicely tell a PhD interviewer that you don't want to do what he/she does for a career? I've done basic science research, but I would rather not do it for the rest of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

If it comes up, how do you nicely tell a PhD interviewer that you don't want to do what he/she does for a career? I've done basic science research, but I would rather not do it for the rest of my life.

be honest and say just that...but maybe you can add that you appreciate reading about the end results of research (as opposed to actually doing it) and are more enthusiastic about the clinical side of things...by now, hopefully they can understand that everyone's different

I'd relate that while you realize your research as a PhD can help people, you feel your talents and personality better suit yourself to working one on one with patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just say that the research aspect isn't really what attracts you to medicine, and then mention whatever it is that being a physician offers and being a PhD doesn't that attracts you to the former.

Research isn't in line with your current goals. You did basic science research/clinical research to decide if that career option was the one for you.

Seriously... this isn't a hard question. Now if you were asked to speak to 3 people, dead or alive, and why, THAT's a more difficult question...

*I got asked that today* :oops:

Seriously... this isn't a hard question. Now if you were asked to speak to 3 people, dead or alive, and why, THAT's a more difficult question...

I love that question and hope that one gets asked of me sometime next year! Choosing only 3 would be the hard part!

Man, that'll be an easy question for me.

"I can't apply to a PhD program, because I have NO research experience to fill up that PhD essay." :D

Even if I wanted to apply, I just can't by default.

Well I know there can be some tension between PhD vs MD faculty at medical schools (for example, physicians' lounge, physicians' reserved parking, other perks for MD faculty) and many PhDs probably seen tons of undergrads who want to put research on their resume to apply to med school.

I just don't want to say something like I'm interested in working with people/helping people since basic science also has this goal. My goal is to do clinical research.

An MD can do research. A PhD can't do medicine.

you can always just insult PhDs and see how they react. tell them PhDs are failures at life or something. should be a good conversation starter.

Well I know there can be some tension between PhD vs MD faculty at medical schools (for example, physicians' lounge, physicians' reserved parking, other perks for MD faculty) and many PhDs probably seen tons of undergrads who want to put research on their resume to apply to med school.

I just don't want to say something like I'm interested in working with people/helping people since basic science also has this goal. My goal is to do clinical research.

I had a nice discussion with a PhD at an interview a few days ago. I have no research experience, nor do I really care to (I have no desire to go into research), but we discussed how, for an MD, often times your results are more tangible, and - more importantly - more immediate (relatively speaking). He did say one of his frustrations with research/academia is that while it contributes so so much to science/society, it often happens in convoluted and less noticeable ways.

I had a nice discussion with a PhD at an interview a few days ago. I have no research experience, nor do I really care to (I have no desire to go into research), but we discussed how, for an MD, often times your results are more tangible, and - more importantly - more immediate (relatively speaking). He did say one of his frustrations with research/academia is that while it contributes so so much to science/society, it often happens in convoluted and less noticeable ways.

I dunno, I see a lot of researchers whose life works seem to be going nowhere. Everybody is out there trying to find that cancer silver bullet and now it all comes down to pathways, pathways, pathways. I always try to avoid asking people about their research because every one of them seems to think they're JUST on the edge of a breakthrough.

"I'm studying the expression of the EGF4 Transcrption factor in. We've discovered our gene is upregulated in over 56% of breast cancers. If we can figure out this pathway and it's expression, we may be able to discover a drug that specificall targets it! It's really cutting edge stuff."

Meanwhile universities are just PACKED with PhD students and post docs and young researches chasing these things down and nobodies really had that breakthrough.

QFT ^^^

This would be an easy question to answer - when was the last time a PhD practiced medicine?

Ask him why he thinks they are related?

It would be like asking a pre-med why is doesn't go into engineering?

"...because although I may want to involve myself in research, I ultimately want to practice medicine."

Research isn't in line with your current goals. You did basic science research/clinical research to decide if that career option was the one for you.

utsw?

When I was interviewed by a PhD at Case, he asked me why I wasn't pursuing an MD/PhD since I have a somewhat extensive research background. I told him I wanted to focus on patient care and a PhD wasn't necessary. He basically flat out told me that I was wrong.

I guess I'm not entitled to my own opinion....:thumbdown:

This can be a tricky question. You just have to tread carefully.

I would emphasis your interest in clinical aspect of medicine. Now if you're interested in research too, you can mention the fact that MDs are able to perform research, but simply state that you feel that this degree option will allow you to both perform they type of research you're interested in and treat patients. It's your career, not the interviewer's, keep that subtext in the background (but don't state it overtly) if the interviewer gets confrontational.

Exactly! No one will let you touch patients with only a Ph.D. but no one will tell you you can't use a pipetman with only an M.D.

the way I see it, an MD is an intermediary between basic science and patients. He or she relates this seemingly incomprehensible and intimidating field of knowledge into something understable and relatable that will benefit patients. I think my extensive research experience will help me better relate such knowledge to patients, as I will have a better understanding of medicine from both sides, and that's why I do it. I'm not motivated to be a researcher though, as from my experience, researchers are the ones out there discovering these new things, while MD's are translating those findings to patients in a way that's relevant to their disease, and I'd much rather do the latter.

I was asked the same sort of thing from a PhD at an interview "why not go into a PhD program instead"? It's kind of difficult to tread around this issue without insulting your interviewer. I just explained that some people feel their calling or purpose in life lies in the area of total scientific research. For me I found my passion in direct health care for people. I then went on about how clinical research will always be a part of my career, but the bulk will concern patient contact.