How to search for residencies by specific rotation/experience types? :confused:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to search for PGY1 residencies by the specific rotations they offer? The ACCP directory only pulls up PGY2 residencies when you search by "specialty". The ASHP directory makes you read the description for each individual residency after you click on it. This is extremely time consuming and inefficient.

Members don't see this ad.

That's how you do it. A lot of word of mouth and just knowing what places are known for.

And what are you looking for? I know between myself, my classmates, and people on here, people interviewed all over the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're interested in psychiatry, the College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists (cpnp.org) has a residency directory specific to psychiatry-focused rotations and residencies. All of the residency programs listed in their directory can be found on ASHP and ACCP, but it can help streamline your search a bit.

And what are you looking for?

Clinical research department rotations.

I just think the ASHP directory would make so much more sense if you could search the residencies by the rotations offered. I mean really, who the hell cares about what state the residency is in anyways.

A lot of places will make you a custom rotation if you show interest.

I know I met the research pharmacist at Shands in Jacksonville, and University of New Mexico doesn't have an official rotation but would more than likely build one if you asked - the clinical research pharmacist is great.

Since that's not something I'm at all interested in I don't remember where else I met people in that department. I do remember Shands for sure though.

Yeah I had already found Shands by the tedious process of clicking on random residnecies on the ASHP directory. UNM is a new one for me though. Thanks.

If you're interested, I can get you the lady's e-mail. She is awesome. But again, listed rotations don't always mean much. They will be established, but everywhere I interviewed offered to build nonlisted rotations based on my interests, so it is worth it to look into a part of the country you like and work from there.

In all honesty, not many residencies will offer a "clinical research" rotation as one of its listed rotations.

In all honesty, not many residencies will offer a "clinical research" rotation as one of its listed rotations.

I know. That's exactly my point. I am looking for those few residencies that do list and offer one. And having to read hundreds of descriptions to find them is pretty lame.

Last edited:
If you're interested, I can get you the lady's e-mail. She is awesome. But again, listed rotations don't always mean much. They will be established, but everywhere I interviewed offered to build nonlisted rotations based on my interests, so it is worth it to look into a part of the country you like and work from there.

Good point about the custom non-listed rotations but I feel like I would be more likely to do multiple rotations (as a required and elective) in the clinical research dept. if the residency already had an established rotation there.I don't know if that's true or not though.

Anyways, thanks for the email offer but I wouldn't have much to say to her yet. I just finished P2 and right now I'm just trying to find the residencies before I even start evaluating any of them.

You are aware that you have to complete a formal research project over the course of your PGY-1 residency, right? That research project can range from a retrospective chart review to bench research, so you would just tailor it to fit your interests.

Some residencies will give you designated time to work on your project over the course of the year. For example, at my site we had a week in July and the whole month of December for "project time." While we don't technically call it a "clinical research rotation," we definitely got ample time to complete clinical research.

You'll also have a medication use evaluation, opportunities for publication and plenty of other chances to make a difference over the course of your residency or residencies.

You are aware that you have to complete a formal research project over the course of your PGY-1 residency, right? That research project can range from a retrospective chart review to bench research, so you would just tailor it to fit your interests.

Some residencies will give you designated time to work on your project over the course of the year. For example, at my site we had a week in July and the whole month of December for "project time." While we don't technically call it a "clinical research rotation," we definitely got ample time to complete clinical research.

You'll also have a medication use evaluation, opportunities for publication and plenty of other chances to make a difference over the course of your residency or residencies.

Wow, a whole month to work on a research project. That's pretty sweet I must say. Still, not all residencies are the same. Since I want as much time as possible to be spent on clinical research it would still be best to look for programs that specifically list an offered rotation in it. I mean, it's either that or talk to every program individually to see how much time they would allow a resident to commit to it.

Wow, a whole month to work on a research project. That's pretty sweet I must say. Still, not all residencies are the same. Since I want as much time as possible to be spent on clinical research it would still be best to look for programs that specifically list an offered rotation in it. I mean, it's either that or talk to every program individually to see how much time they would allow a resident to commit to it.

If you want to do clinical research I would do a fellowship and not a residency. Residency programs are required to provide a certain # of months dedicated to clinical practice axperience.

If you want to do clinical research I would do a fellowship and not a residency. Residency programs are required to provide a certain # of months dedicated to clinical practice axperience.

Oh believe me, I am going to do a fellowship. Problem is, most fellowships (aside from the industry sponsored ones) require or at least prefer you to do a PGY1 residency before applying to the fellowship. I don't really get it but I guess they want you to develop some extra clinical skill/knowledge beyond the pharmD before you jump into the research training.

Thanks njac, but I already have every clinical research fellowship known to man bookmarked. :)

Clinical research department rotations.

I just think the ASHP directory would make so much more sense if you could search the residencies by the rotations offered. I mean really, who the hell cares about what state the residency is in anyways.

I just received this via e-mail from an old professor:

The University of Kansas, Department of Pharmacy Practice announces the inauguration of a combined residency/research fellowship program. The resident/fellow will gain clinical experience in a specialty area of practice and training in clinical research through completion of a clinical research project. The purpose of the residency/fellowship is to provide advanced clinical practice training in a specialty area of practice and to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to carry on an active clinical research program.

Additionally, the resident/fellow will complete a Master in Clinical Research degree offered through the University of Kansas, Department of Preventative Medicine. Practice experiences and research will focus on neurosciences.

This program offers participants the opportunity to complete a residency and fellowship within 3 years after graduation from a PharmD program, and to earn a graduate degree in clinical research. Candidates for the residency/fellowship should have completed a PharmD degree from an ACPE accredited college or school of pharmacy prior to starting into the program, and be eligible for licensure as a pharmacist in the State of Kansas. The position is available starting July 1, 2009.

For information and to apply, potential candidates go to https://jobs.ku.edu, search for position 00207511 and attach a letter of intent, curriculum vitae and list of 3 references to the on-line application. Questions may be directed to Timothy Welty PharmD FCCP BPCS, Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Kansas, email: [email protected]. The University of Kansas is an EO/AA employer.

I just received this via e-mail from an old professor:

The University of Kansas, Department of Pharmacy Practice announces the inauguration of a combined residency/research fellowship program. The resident/fellow will gain clinical experience in a specialty area of practice and training in clinical research through completion of a clinical research project. The purpose of the residency/fellowship is to provide advanced clinical practice training in a specialty area of practice and to develop the knowledge and skills necessary to carry on an active clinical research program.

Additionally, the resident/fellow will complete a Master in Clinical Research degree offered through the University of Kansas, Department of Preventative Medicine. Practice experiences and research will focus on neurosciences.

This program offers participants the opportunity to complete a residency and fellowship within 3 years after graduation from a PharmD program, and to earn a graduate degree in clinical research. Candidates for the residency/fellowship should have completed a PharmD degree from an ACPE accredited college or school of pharmacy prior to starting into the program, and be eligible for licensure as a pharmacist in the State of Kansas. The position is available starting July 1, 2009.

For information and to apply, potential candidates go to https://jobs.ku.edu, search for position 00207511 and attach a letter of intent, curriculum vitae and list of 3 references to the on-line application. Questions may be directed to Timothy Welty PharmD FCCP BPCS, Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Kansas, email: [email protected]. The University of Kansas is an EO/AA employer.

Whoa, that sounds pretty awesome! Only thing is that when I searched for the job on their website, it sounds like they want you do a PGY1 residency first, and then apply to the program and do a 2-3 year residency + fellowship + MSCR degree. The email they sent you makes it sound like you don't need a PGY1 before entering. Maybe the program is only two years if you already did the PGY1 before entering? I'll have to check with them about that. But seriously, thanks1

https://jobs.ku.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1245216342172