How to send your letter of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALI

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I have a question about sending out letters of rec.My school has letter of rec file service. When I want to send out my letter of rec, do I send them separartely to each dental school I apply to or have my school send an envelope with all my letters to ASDSAS. I have heard different ways to send from my freinds. One of them even told me that ASDSAS only make copies of three letters and send them to dental school. i will have 5 letters on file by the time apply. what is the best way to send letter. please help
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

AADSAS will send out all the letters that you send them, but it may not go out the same time as your application.

My school also collected letters for me, and I found that it was easier for me to have my school directly send letters to each school because got tired of calling AADSAS (and getting the "it'll be out in 2 weeks" response). My school charged $5 for each letter packet after the 5th one, so it can be more expensive using this method.

I would go through your school's office b/c it's much easier to check up on them than through AADSAS, although AADSAS does get the job done (eventually).

I know that a lot of schools ask that you send your letters to AADSAS first. I don't know why, but I believe that's what the application info stated. I used my school's service to send out three letters to aadsas, because I was told that aadsas only takes three, and if you send more than three, aadsas will take it upon themselves to decide which three to sent out to schools. However, after all the aadsas stuff is sent out, various schools will send you notices of items you are missing to complete your file (ex: letter from a "science" prof, app fee, etc). For these letters, I had my school service send the necessary letters directly to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you get have all your letters in your file, have your school letter serice to send letters directly to AADAS. It is not true they only send three copies. I had 5 letters and dental schools received all 5!!!!

My school has the same service. I already have all the rec letters on file there. We also have a prehealth committee and so they will be interviewing us, and giving us a committee letter as well. However, my prehealth advisor wants a copy of my application before she can interview. So for me, the interview will probably take place end of June, and then I will have the school forward it to AADSAS.