how to show interest without being annoying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just started clinicals and I feel like I am a bit too introverted. I try not to say too much or ask too many questions (since I feel like I can look up most of the questions I have anyways). But then I have this feeling that they might think I am bored and not interested, when in fact I am very interested.

I mean, I do try to ask questions that aren't easy to look up. But I just feel like I may be too quiet.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i wonder the same thing sometimes. most of the questions i have, i know i can look them up and if i ask, it might come off as annoying because it's something that can be easily googled...

I think one of the best ways to look interested and act more involved is to write great notes and reading up on your patients.

I am on my peds rotation right now and found that presenting a thorough history and physical counts for a lot. Also knowing everything you can possibly know about your patients is important so you can answer any questions your attending may have, which in the end, makes you look good and interested.

As far as asking questions, I normally look up my question right then and there or right after rounds on my blackberry, and if I can't find a legitimate answer, I ask the attending when I see him walking around or talking to the residents.

I hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely does, thanks for advice

For introverted people, I would stick to 'why' questions instead of 'what' questions. You can usually look up the 'what' questions, but asking why they decided to treat the patient this/that way is more subjective and shows interest in their methodology.