How to Spend Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is probably a better use of my time?

• Summer Preceptorship

• Research

Results are only viewable after voting.

kn94

Reaction score
Hey all! I am a first year looking for advice as to how to spend my (last) summer. I have been accepted to a rural preceptorship for the majority of my summer. My other option is research. I would prefer the preceptorship over research, but am wondering if research is the better option. As of right now I am interested in Pediatrics as a specialty with hopes of going into a residency at a larger, academic program. I have research experience from undergrad (nothing major) if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Research and it isn't even a question

Reactions: 1 users
Surely you would know even without asking this question that research is a necessary part of an application to reputable academic centers, especially as a DO... The "rural preceptorship" is a huge waste of your time, lol.

Your undergraduate research experience is likely not going to really matter much at all when you apply for residency, unless it was something done professionally or something ground breaking. Helping out in a lab doesn't count as research when you're applying for residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Academic medicine has no respect for rural preceptorship.

Research if you want to show value to academic programs.

Reactions: 2 users
"Better jump on that research train boaaa" - Arthur Morgan

But seriously, research is a must if you want to maximize your chances at academic programs.

Reactions: 2 users
"Better jump on that research train boaaa" - Arthur Morgan

But seriously, research is a must if you want to maximize your chances at academic programs.

"I have a PLAN Arthur... a primary RESEARCH plan!"

Also seriously, you will get PLENTY of rotation experience in 3rd/4th year. Maybe shadow for a 1-2 weeks if you REALLY want to, but research is a lot more valuable. Especially if you go into pediatrics and realize you want to subspecialize.

Reactions: 1 user