how to stay awake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I too have both problems of a short attention span and sleeping problems. A have a couple tips that have helped me over the past year. Similar to the 50 minute attention span thing, my old highschool biology teacher mentioned to us that she read in a scientific american that the average attention span equates to roughly 1 minute per year of age. She told us that since we were about 17 years old (ap biology senior year), if we have trouble paying attention, we should try studying for about 17-20 minutes at a time and take a quick 5 minute break doing something like mentioned before: moving around, listening to an upbeat song if not done so already, grab a snack or cold glass of water, step outside for a quick breath of air, etc. I was never a good at paying attention but after that lil bit of advise and with a little bit of time management, it helped me a lot.

As for sleeping, my uncle gave me a tip that he was tought to use while in the army. Basically mentioned before as a power nap, he said to take a 15 minute nap (no more no less) while either laying on the floor or on a desk. It works the same as not getting comfertable but good enough sleep. When ur alarm goes off, he said to just literally jump up as quick as you can and "shake it off". It sounds stupid and looks stupid when I think about it but believe me, it works wonders. This helps me to stay full awake for at least 30 minutes. It might not be alot but it sure helps in the AM hours. 2 of my personal remedies that helps me for late night studying are either playing counterstrike for 15 minutes instead of a power nap, with the speakers loud enough to not wake anyone (helps to grab attention and the gun firing wakes up), or taking a 200mg caffiene tablet (roughly 2 cups of black coffee for those that dont like coffee).

Members don't see this ad.

dcolon_et06 said:
I too have both problems of a short attention span and sleeping problems. A have a couple tips that have helped me over the past year. Similar to the 50 minute attention span thing, my old highschool biology teacher mentioned to us that she read in a scientific american that the average attention span equates to roughly 1 minute per year of age. She told us that since we were about 17 years old (ap biology senior year), if we have trouble paying attention, we should try studying for about 17-20 minutes at a time and take a quick 5 minute break doing something like mentioned before: moving around, listening to an upbeat song if not done so already, grab a snack or cold glass of water, step outside for a quick breath of air, etc. I was never a good at paying attention but after that lil bit of advise and with a little bit of time management, it helped me a lot. As for sleeping, my uncle gave me a tip that he was tought to use while in the army. Basically mentioned before as a power nap, he said to take a 15 minute nap (no more no less) while either laying on the floor or on a desk. It works the same as not getting comfertable but good enough sleep. When ur alarm goes off, he said to just literally jump up as quick as you can and "shake it off". It sounds stupid and looks stupid when I think about it but believe me, it works wonders. This helps me to stay full awake for at least 30 minutes. It might not be alot but it sure helps in the AM hours. 2 of my personal remedies that helps me for late night studying are either playing counterstrike for 15 minutes instead of a power nap, with the speakers loud enough to not wake anyone (helps to grab attention and the gun firing wakes up), or taking a 200mg caffiene tablet (roughly 2 cups of black coffee for those that dont like coffee).

I've also been noticing that I have a short attenti

Members don't see this ad :)
ocean09 said:
Anyone falls asleep during the time you are studying for a test or doing your homework or reading your textbooks?

I'm avoiding coffee. In fact, I tried coffee once, and it has no effect on me. :(

Each time I study, I always fall asleep, and it is becoming a bad habit. So anyone knows a cure for this?

I want to stay awake really badly, but my eyes want to shut. I try my best to keep them open, but with no good result, if that makes sense.

Thanks!
Sunflower seeds, it works.