Should I stay enrolled/add a minor for instead of graduating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckmd0704

Reaction score
Currently, I'm a sophomore who can graduate this spring thanks to dual enrollment prereqs taken at my state school (that I currently attend). But the conundrum is, in high school when I took most of my science courses such as ochem, gen chem, biology, physics, I luckily ended with a 4.0. However, my first semesters in college taking the more focused major courses haven't been so great comparatively speaking (freshman year: 3.6 sophomore year: 3.7). Even though my cumulative gpa is still fine: 3.8x, would it look weird to only have 2 years of grades that were subpar in college compared to high school (somewhat of a downward trend)? And, should I stay enrolled by adding a minor with more coursework that could show more of a solid gpa in college? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It will be fine. Only do a minor if it interests you, not for med school.

More important would be getting clinical experience and helping those less fortunate in the community outside of an academic setting. This is a major aspect that students often lack if they graduated early or applied in their junior year.

Agree, go ahead and graduate unless you wish to extend your college experiences for reasons unrelated to medical school. Your GPA is totally fine for basically any medical school, focus your attention on the MCAT and the other experiences you will need to get in.

Do you have faculty who can write you strong letters of recommendations based on knowing you just these (almost) 2 years? Do you have enough experiences or do you plan to acquire those during a gap year (or two)? Will it be easier to get those experiences as a college grad rather than as a student? If you plan to take at least a year off, what are your plans for that year? Will you easily find employment. If you have loans and plan to take more than one year off, do have a plan for beginning to pay back your loans.

Just thinking beyond the question you asked and that may help you answer the question of whether to stay or go.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
3.7 or 4.0 is the same thing at the end of the day. Most of your work should be toward the MCAT and the peripheral trash like shadowing, volunteering, leadership. Go ahead and graduate

I will honor the implied question about whether graduating early hurts your chances. I miss the days that applicants thought about adding another major or two... perhaps getting a master's to "take up time."

@LizzyM raises solid points that you need a good game plan after you graduate. This includes immersing yourself in a clinical environment (CRNA, MA) and getting significant nonclinical community service. You will have to start paying off loans after six months and prep your MCAT, Casper, and PREview. For us screeners, we will expect more hours in employment, service, and clinical experience if you graduated early to "take up time."