How to stop being nervous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for interviews for weeks, and I finally received my first one last week (from Pitt). However, for some reason all of the anticipation has made me really nervous. I was even nervous when I called to schedule the date of the interview. I'm a non-trad student, so this process has taken several years and I just feel exhausted at this point. I'm afraid that I won't come across as being enthusiastic because deep down I just want to get in at this point. Any body else feel like this for their first interview? If so, what did yod do to prepare so that you weren't nervous. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

whatsupdoc,

Becoming nervous prior to your first interview is really common. I know most of us last year where very anxious to get the interviews underway, but once they were granted..lots of us became really nervous. A lot of it has to do with the fact that now it is about you in 3D. Meaning, you have to go in there and show your stuff. You have to be confident but not arrogant, ambitious but philanthropic, well-spoken but not excessive in 'verbosity', etc..I know I was nervous before my first interview. You are getting closer and closer to finding out the verdict, so it makes a lot of sense.

What helped me??? I told myself that if I was getting interviewed then they must think that I am acceptable on paper, and now they just want to meet me. It gave me confidence (kind of made me feel like I was being sought after. Even though that may or may not be true, it added to the level of confidence). It also made me realize that the most important thing was to be comfortable with myself. The nervousness was natural, but you shouldn't be nervous about whether or not you are ready. You have been working up to this point for years. You are ready! Just have to go into your interviews smiling and making eye contact. That will set a very positive tone to the rest of the interview.

One more thing..interviews are never as bad as we imagine them to be. In all of my interviews, I was never asked a ridiculous question nor was I ever made to feel like I didn't deserve to be visiting the school. The interviewers all seemed to want to get solid understanding of who I was as a person.

Best of luck.

I totally understand. I've been to several interviews at this point and you can always tell the difference between people on their first interview and those who have done it before. I think everyone is super nervous their first interview (at least I was). But for the most part, the process is fairly painless, they just want to get to know you. Once you experience that with your first interviewer I'm sure you will relax. Try to remember that they wouldn't be interviewing you if they didn't think you were qualified. You deserve to be there so just take a few deep breaths and be yourself. Even if you are nervous, being honest ensures that the real you will come through.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i just want to wish u good luck,

just remember that they like something about you, so just be urself, k?

so i guess i will be seeing a 'am in....... ' thread soon? :love:

good luck again!

i hate the fact that my first interview is going to be at my first choice school. i wanted to have some practice first. blah....hopefully i wont come across as to nervous and blow it :p
two weeks and counting...till the day.

I think nervousness will always be there to some degree in this journey, but remember put everything in the context of the big picture. I told myself before that I'd better learn how to cope with the anxitey becuse it'll be there for:

course tests, MCAT, applications, interviews, med-school tests, USMLE-I, USMLE-II, residency match, USMLE-III, boards, job interviews............

Not to harp on the issue, but just looking forward to things to come is kind of liberating in the sense that this is just another trial that we have to (and will) get through. There's always something, just take it in stride.

course tests, MCAT, applications, interviews, med-school tests, USMLE-I, USMLE-II, residency match, USMLE-III, boards, job interviews............
[/B]

Oh, that makes me feel so much better...just kidding, I know we have a long hard road ahead of us.

Now if I can just get accepted somewhere I could relax. :eek: :eek: :eek: