How to study for BCPS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TP2009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are tons of posts on NAPLEX and MPJE; however, not a lot of BCPS posts. I am looking for advice on how to prepare for BCPS from pharmacists who have recently taken the BCPS within the past 2-3 years. I don't have any close friends who took or know of someone that took the BCPS yet. I truly appreciate it if you can share any advice or experience with everyone here who is on the same boat.

I am planning to take the BCPS this fall 2018. I am completing my PGY1 general hospital pharmacy residency very soon.

My main questions are:
How long did you study for BCPS?
What study material did you use?
How would you compare BCPS to NAPLEX?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Use the accp study materials. I also spent a lot of time doing QBANK questions on medbullets.

Economic stuff etc you just have to guess o.

Yes, ACCP. Some of the other prep materials are cheaper, and I was cheap and went that route and I failed the first time. The ACCP materials and practice questions are pretty similar to the actual test. Don't be cheap. It's another $300 if you fail.

I need to put some of my notes online because you also need to know stuff like commonly used resources and what they do and how often they are updated and some regulations and such. I had to look around for that info. It's really mostly a stats and policy exam, with mixed clinical thrown in (a friend of mine told me it was mostly ID and cardiology, but I didn't find that to be true at all. It's a mix and it's not even a make sense mix like things that you'll never see in practice were featured and some things that you'd commonly be consulted for weren't).

Reactions: 1 user
i just passed it last fall, after studying in earnest for 3 months.
i used the ACCP materials mainly, and also used the Q-bank on high yield med reviews (not their lectures).
i graduated in 06, so it's difficult for me to compare between the naplex and BCPS, but the clinical questions on BCPS i feel was more case-based therapeutics questions (which i understand the current naplex is like now) rather than discrete questions. there were a lot of non-clinical question as well, like regulations and economics. lots of management-related questions, i felt. but that could just be me because i had no clue on those lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed the test on my first try this past Spring 2018. I used the ACCP workbook and QBank (High Yield Med Reviews - only the questions). With the workbook, you'll do fine with the clinical questions. You have to know stats pretty well, so that you feel confident answering those questions. Policy, regulation and management-related questions on the other hand... I did not feel prepared for those. I guessed a lot of them. I started studying in mid-January and took the test on April. Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been lurking on this website for a while now, so I thought I’d share my 2 cents....I took the Fall 2017 test and failed (465). I had spent a long, long time studying. I had the ACCP review books and was honestly trying to learn and better solidify my comprehension of all things pharmacy. In addition, I was racing against the clock, seeing as how I had a baby on the way. Fast forward to early December - my son is a couple weeks old and I’m on cloud 9 (we suffered through miscarriage, stillbirth, infertility, IVF, etc and finally got our rainbow baby). Then one day I get the dreaded email. Failed it. I was obviously crushed. My wife urged me to give it one more go.

The second time around I repeated the practice problems from the ACCP books. In addition I bought the ACCP flip cards and the online mock exam. I will credit those two additions for putting me over the threshold. Scored a 521 on attempt #2. The review books are a great review, but they leave out some key areas, I.e. immunology, dermatology, etc. I describe the test to people as the broadest yet most specific test you’ll ever take. Literally anything is fair game. The mock exam was extremely helpful. I got about 50% on it, which didn’t make me feel great. The great thing about it though is there are tons of supplemental questions you can practice.

My biggest piece of advice is to do as many questions as time will allow. Take as many “reps” as you can. My 2nd attempt I studied “angry” and just wanted to conquer the test and put it behind me. If you fail the first time, don’t give up. It’s hard come on here and hear everyone say they passed. Know there are others of you in the same boat. Use your failure as an opportunity to work on your weak areas. I studied sleep-deprived with a newborn and was able to pass on my second attempt, so anything is possible!

One last thing on the test itself. The most recent test I took had some new features the previous one didn’t have (or maybe I just didn’t notice). You can yellow highlight whatever you want in the question plus you can right click the wrong answers to eliminate them (like a strike-through feature).

Best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
There are tons of posts on NAPLEX and MPJE; however, not a lot of BCPS posts. I am looking for advice on how to prepare for BCPS from pharmacists who have recently taken the BCPS within the past 2-3 years. I don't have any close friends who took or know of someone that took the BCPS yet. I truly appreciate it if you can share any advice or experience with everyone here who is on the same boat.

I am planning to take the BCPS this fall 2018. I am completing my PGY1 general hospital pharmacy residency very soon.

My main questions are:
How long did you study for BCPS?
What study material did you use?
How would you compare BCPS to NAPLEX?

Thank you!!

I am currently studying for the Fall exam after failing the Spring exam by 2 points. I used the ACCP review material in the past and it just wasn't for me. This time around I'm using the High-Yield MED Reviews review course and I wish I'd found it sooner! The review courses are given lecture style with a full review of every topic on the exam, they build on one another really well for a complete review. In addition to the on-demand lectures, there's a large question bank and live review webinars on pertinent topics. Everyone has a different style of learning, but High Yield MED Reviews is absolutely amazing so far! Best of luck!!

I am currently studying for the Fall exam after failing the Spring exam by 2 points. I used the ACCP review material in the past and it just wasn't for me. This time around I'm using the High-Yield MED Reviews review course and I wish I'd found it sooner! The review courses are given lecture style with a full review of every topic on the exam, they build on one another really well for a complete review. In addition to the on-demand lectures, there's a large question bank and live review webinars on pertinent topics. Everyone has a different style of learning, but High Yield MED Reviews is absolutely amazing so far! Best of luck!!
I am using high yield review too .. but I started preparing late .. have few weeks in hand .. really need someone to discuss or review .. please text me

I am using high yield review too .. but I started preparing late .. have few weeks in hand .. really need someone to discuss or review .. please text me
I'm using HYMR and started to study VERY late as well. Just wondering if you received any tips on how to prepare that you'd like to share. I have 3 yrs of clinical experience, but been in admin for the last year so any tips will be greatly appreciated!!

Yes, please!! I'll take any tips you'd like to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, ACCP. Some of the other prep materials are cheaper, and I was cheap and went that route and I failed the first time. The ACCP materials and practice questions are pretty similar to the actual test. Don't be cheap. It's another $300 if you fail.

I need to put some of my notes online because you also need to know stuff like commonly used resources and what they do and how often they are updated and some regulations and such. I had to look around for that info. It's really mostly a stats and policy exam, with mixed clinical thrown in (a friend of mine told me it was mostly ID and cardiology, but I didn't find that to be true at all. It's a mix and it's not even a make sense mix like things that you'll never see in practice were featured and some things that you'd commonly be consulted for weren't).
where do you go to find out more regulatory information?

I’ve been lurking on this website for a while now, so I thought I’d share my 2 cents....I took the Fall 2017 test and failed (465). I had spent a long, long time studying. I had the ACCP review books and was honestly trying to learn and better solidify my comprehension of all things pharmacy. In addition, I was racing against the clock, seeing as how I had a baby on the way. Fast forward to early December - my son is a couple weeks old and I’m on cloud 9 (we suffered through miscarriage, stillbirth, infertility, IVF, etc and finally got our rainbow baby). Then one day I get the dreaded email. Failed it. I was obviously crushed. My wife urged me to give it one more go.

The second time around I repeated the practice problems from the ACCP books. In addition I bought the ACCP flip cards and the online mock exam. I will credit those two additions for putting me over the threshold. Scored a 521 on attempt #2. The review books are a great review, but they leave out some key areas, I.e. immunology, dermatology, etc. I describe the test to people as the broadest yet most specific test you’ll ever take. Literally anything is fair game. The mock exam was extremely helpful. I got about 50% on it, which didn’t make me feel great. The great thing about it though is there are tons of supplemental questions you can practice.

My biggest piece of advice is to do as many questions as time will allow. Take as many “reps” as you can. My 2nd attempt I studied “angry” and just wanted to conquer the test and put it behind me. If you fail the first time, don’t give up. It’s hard come on here and hear everyone say they passed. Know there are others of you in the same boat. Use your failure as an opportunity to work on your weak areas. I studied sleep-deprived with a newborn and was able to pass on my second attempt, so anything is possible!

One last thing on the test itself. The most recent test I took had some new features the previous one didn’t have (or maybe I just didn’t notice). You can yellow highlight whatever you want in the question plus you can right click the wrong answers to eliminate them (like a strike-through feature).

Best of luck!
This is the most honest post I have seen. thanks for the sincerity and openness

It’s my turn to give back to the community!

So, I barely passed! I did a PGY-1 at a small adult community hospital (<200 beds). I waited till spring to take it because I was so burnt out from school and residency.

I used the 2018 ACCP study book including the videos. I’m working full time (40 hours a week), so it was a struggle to study and to work at the same time. I studied about 16 hours a week starting in Feb, but really I crammed everything in the last 4 weeks prior to my exam date (I would study from 10 am to 2pm before I go into my evening shift).

I spent two whole days on biostats and regulations prior to the exam date too. Therapeutic questions were random from what is the first line HIV regimen for HIV naive to which BCP should you change to avoid early spotting. I honestly used my clinical experience to answer most of the questions. Or try to remember what our physicians would normally prescribe if I get stuck on one.
The biostat questions in ACCP are very similar to the BCPS exam. Know the study designs, risk ratio, odd ratio, etc. Also how to calculate risk ratio and odd ratio.

For Regulatory... I think I guessed on every question on the exam. ACCP doesn’t provide a lot of information for regulatory except that one chapter.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: