How to study Pharmacology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iki4life

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using the kaplan book, kaplan videos and first aid as my resources. how do i go about this?

for ex. the pharmacokinetics section in kaplan is about 20 pages, and in first aid it is summarized in half a page.

what did YOU do?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using the kaplan book, kaplan videos and first aid as my resources. how do i go about this?

for ex. the pharmacokinetics section in kaplan is about 20 pages, and in first aid it is summarized in half a page.

what did YOU do?

thanks!

I tried using FA for general pharm - na, it aint gonna work if you don't have asolid background to begin with... my school pharm course sucks... so what I did is... Kaplan book (just for Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Autonomics i.e. Chapts 1-5 only)... but that is after listening to Raymond on Kaplan Vid. After you do this... then Pharm becomes easier...

For the Organ sys pharm...I think FA, UWORLD should be enough - USMLE_RX would help in memorizing FA drugs - tis what I'm doing.

FYI... exam is 3months away.... so you got time. And I'll say if you exam is also that far away, don't take too many short cuts.

what did YOU do?

thanks!

Kaplan was great for understanding the stuff - went over Kaplan just once.

After that, I did one sitting of DIT, and then just relied on FA and Q-banks.

Remember this: Most important two things in your step 1 prep should be FA and Qbanks. Do massive amounts of Q. You wouldn't prep for a marathon by reading about it, would you?

I'm adding the lange flash cards along with 1st aid and kaplan videos.

1. 1st aid
2. kaplan videos only
3. lange flash cards

should that be sufficient?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is all I needed to ace the PK exam >__>

t1/2 = .7 x Vd / CL
C_ss = Infusion rate / CL
Infusion rate_ss = Rate of elim_ss = CL x TC / F
CL = dose / AUC = Rate of elim / C = Vmax / (Km + C)
Rate of elim = CL x C = Vmax x C / (Km + C)
Loading dose = Vd x Css / F = Maint dose x F
Maint dose = Dosing rate x Intv
AF = 1 / %(LOST in 1 Intv)
PeakCss = PeakC1 x AF
pH - pK = log [deprot] / [prot] ; A- / AH ; B / BH+
pH > pK ---> DEPROTONATE

lange cards. i bought them. was that 38 dollars wasted??

Lol.. I bought them too..... I found that it wasn't helping with my regular coursework, so I abandoned them... in doing questions so far, I found that First Aid and Kaplan pretty much has all the drugs and side effects I have seen thus far... so why bother with other stuff... I figured I'll see those other weird drugs in the qbanks - then I'll add it to FA.

A wise person once said, rather than reading 20 books and knowing none of them well, read two books and know them like the back of your hands.

Lol.. I bought them too..... I found that it wasn't helping with my regular coursework, so I abandoned them... in doing questions so far, I found that First Aid and Kaplan pretty much has all the drugs and side effects I have seen thus far... so why bother with other stuff... I figured I'll see those other weird drugs in the qbanks - then I'll add it to FA.

A wise person once said, rather than reading 20 books and knowing none of them well, read two books and know them like the back of your hands.

could have spent the 38 dollars towards some jordans =/