-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How to study when u have no motivation?
Started by ponybreeder4
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Lukkie...who is the girl with the salad on your avatar?
OP: I feel the same way.
OP: I feel the same way.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
click on my MDapps and look at my GPA for motivation
How is that supposed to motivate the OP? Did you get rejected from all the schools you applied to or something?
How is that supposed to motivate the OP? Did you get rejected from all the schools you applied to or something?
its supposed to motivate him to work hard so he doesnt end up with a crappy gpa

Lukkie...who is the girl with the salad on your avatar?
OP: I feel the same way.
i dont know
There isn't a trick to staying motivated. You just have to convince yourself to do what you have to. Thats it.
Its hard, I know. I'm abroad this semester, and havent been too motivated either. I'm taking a laughable course load compared to what I'd be doing at my home institution, yet I feel like I'm struggling to hand it all. I see your amotivation, and raise you a "would rather be sight seeing."
we can both do this (wo?)man. hang in there.
Its hard, I know. I'm abroad this semester, and havent been too motivated either. I'm taking a laughable course load compared to what I'd be doing at my home institution, yet I feel like I'm struggling to hand it all. I see your amotivation, and raise you a "would rather be sight seeing."
we can both do this (wo?)man. hang in there.
Last edited:
its supposed to motivate him to work hard so he doesnt end up with a crappy gpa![]()
Ok I see, I thought you went through a cycle already with your GPA. Best of luck.
If you schedule some sort of fun event later in the night, then it will motivate you to study.
Like last night I studied from 4-10:30 and the went out to some bars with my friends.
Set a specific time for when you will be done studying, that way it won't feel so overwhelming - as if you're studying forever.
Like last night I studied from 4-10:30 and the went out to some bars with my friends.
Set a specific time for when you will be done studying, that way it won't feel so overwhelming - as if you're studying forever.
i've found that forcing yourself to study is usually a bad idea- you tend to not be as retentive with the data, and really make no effort to understand abstract/extremely laborious material. I believe that you have to cultivate in interest in the subject matter, whether it's genuinely for the subject itself or perhaps a secondary interest like your love of learning or caring about your gpa, to study smarter, and you'll find that it's much easier to study for something that you care about.
For instance, right now I'm taking genetics, which is the most boring class i can remember taking. It's all statistics, probabilities, equations, blah blah blah. But I view each chapter as a challenge of my abilities, and each problem as a roadblock on my way to getting an A. Hence, it motivates me to work out all those damn probabilities and stuff. It's a stupid mental construct, but it's been successful so far.
For instance, right now I'm taking genetics, which is the most boring class i can remember taking. It's all statistics, probabilities, equations, blah blah blah. But I view each chapter as a challenge of my abilities, and each problem as a roadblock on my way to getting an A. Hence, it motivates me to work out all those damn probabilities and stuff. It's a stupid mental construct, but it's been successful so far.
Reflect on why you want to go into medicine, and then think about what it is going to take for you to get there. I normally scare myself into studying.
Find yourself some Indian/ Asian parents... They will make you study

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I always think I can not study.
Then I can get another B instead of an A.
And my GPA and sink instead of going up.
And I can watch my chance at medicine shrink and shrink until it's so small I can't even see it anymore.
I really don't like this picture, so I do what I can to avoid it.
Then I can get another B instead of an A.
And my GPA and sink instead of going up.
And I can watch my chance at medicine shrink and shrink until it's so small I can't even see it anymore.
I really don't like this picture, so I do what I can to avoid it.
My cheap trick has always been study groups. Now, I know many premeds are lone studiers, and don't like study groups, but I love 'em. I find them to be very effective studying (plus, you can divvy up responsibility - like, you each read one section of a chapter and then teach it to the others), but most importantly, they actually get me to study in the first place. If I just try to sit down on my own and study, I guarantee you I'll get distracted and blow it off. But if I make a commitment to friends and/or classmates, there's no way that I'm not making it to that study group.
Caveat: you have to find the right people to study with. Some people just won't mesh with your style.
Oh, and kac714 - go Cubs! Here's hoping we get Jake Peavy.
Caveat: you have to find the right people to study with. Some people just won't mesh with your style.
Oh, and kac714 - go Cubs! Here's hoping we get Jake Peavy.
don't study, just wing your finals
That's what I did!
Word. If you really want med school, you'll find a way. Learn to deal with this feeling now, not while you're in med school.
Seriously. If you can't buckle down for some undergrad finals then you'll drown in medschool. Just do it. Put away all distractions and slam it out. There is no try, there is only do.
Staying off SDN is a good start. SDN makes up about 70% of my time inefficiency when studying.