how to study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jephyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could do it all over again, how would you study for the boards (step 1)? When (start first year, second year, etc)? What books would you use to study? I will be entering my first year this fall and would like some input from those who used a study plan that worked or didn't work, but had suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

If I had to study for Step I again, I would pretty much only buy and study review books during my first 2 years (of course, you need some straight texts, class notes). Just going through the books once and being familiar with them is a huge assett when you finally sit down to study for boards. I pretty much did this for Step II and did much better.

So, you would recommend studying for boards when I start my first year? Are there different books for each subject, or is there one giant "all-in-one" board prep book? Thank you for your response.

There's board review books for each subject. I liked BRS Physiology, I'd probably use High-Yield anatomy in conjunction with Netter and real text and Lippincott's Biochem. High-Yield Histology and Immunology are good enough in my opinion as well. The BRS Pathology is a great book too. Get First Aid as well and as you're studying a section, review that section in First Aid. What I'm saying is that I'd use board review books while studying for each exam. This will familiarize yourself to what is expected to be known on the USMLE, which helps a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im an incoming medical student this summer. What would you do as far as learning new material if you were starting all over again. I have one friend who recomennds learning some anatomy in my free time. Is there a specific book thats good. The main reason i ask is I spend 2 hours a day commuting to work until school starts and I think this is good time to start preparing.

I think you should just enjoy that free time, as it will be lessened shortly. You could read snell or chung if you really wanted to though. just get house of god for that commute (but don't read and drive).