How to succeed in year one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brickmanli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been getting really creepy dreams about failing first year because I took a year off and forgot all my science. Is everybody else a little anxious? It'd be great if some current med students can give us some practical advice on how to brave the storm.

Members don't see this ad.

I took 2 years off and I am afraid I wouldn't be able to sit thru classes or concentrate. I am so use to the independence I had from homework or studying for exams. I hope I haven't lost my studying skills. I am not worried about the science because I believe it's all being pushed to the back of my brain somewhere. I just need time/help retrieving it.

I think we're pretty much all in the same boat . . . I am terrified that I will do badly because I'm so burnt out right now (and still have yet to graduate--3 more weeks!!!) and will have a terribly short summer and no mental relaxation time. I wish I could take time off . . . but it's no turning back now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The depth of detail that we'll be exposed to during our first two years will make our college science background seem trivial. I don't think being out of school for a couple years is really going to hurt you. By this point, you've shown that you have the ability to do well by your previous performance. I think the biggest adjustment won't be that the material you learned in college is fuzzy, it's the fact that almost all of your classmates are going to be stupendously smart. Many people come in to medical school thinking that they'll be top in their class, considering that most of them were in their college. The reality is that everybody around you will have been the best in their class as well.
Nobody ever thinks that they are average. Yet, there is a high chance that you will be in your medical school class. Definetly, an adjustment.

Check out this website: <a href="http://www.ttuhsc.edu/success/" target="_blank">Success Types for Medical School</a>

I saw Dr. Pelley speak this weekend, and his theories really seem to have merit. He's a great guy too.

His #1 suggestion was to form study groups, meet at least once a week, and quiz each other. His #2 recommendation was concept mapping. I think he has a link to the notes he hands out at his talks on the website.

I'm pretty scared now. One saving grace might be that I'm going to a very-laid back school with little competition.

I had the same fears about being out of the habit of studying (although with all the admissions essays, I still feel like I did homework), so two weeks ago I pulled one of my science textbooks off the shelf, and as soon as I started reading I realized:

1. That I could still learn this stuff.

2. That I really didn't want to spend my last free summer (and the only free summer I've has since I was 14, I've always worked and taken classes) studying, when I'd get enough in the fall.

You'll be okay.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Nuclearrabbit:
•it's the fact that almost all of your classmates are going to be stupendously smart. Many people come in to medical school thinking that they'll be top in their class, considering that most of them were in their college. The reality is that everybody around you will have been the best in their class as well.
Nobody ever thinks that they are average. Yet, there is a high chance that you will be in your medical school class. Definetly, an adjustment.•••••I'm not really concerned with this. I did my undergrad at a place where everyone came from the top of their class. Med school should be a breeze :D

I'm a non-science major so I'm very scared about med school. I started reading some physiology textbooks just to familiarize myself with some terms that my peers already know. I think more than anything it'll boost my confidence when I get there. :)

There's a great thread in the Everyone forum called <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005160" target="_blank">Medical School Survivor Skills</a> ...check it out too. :)

The only advice i can give you neophytes is be prepared to spend many many hours sitting down memorizing minute details most of which you'll remember for the exam and forget the very next day. There really is no preparation necessary for medical school. Its not about intelligence, its about discipline. Don't get me wrong the stuff is really interesting, but its information overload.

As Foxy said, that Allo thread is good reading...one of the recurring themes is to ENJOY YOUR SUMMER BEFORE MED SCHOOL! :cool:

I took a year off before starting med school, and I was fine. You will be too. The hardest thing was getting back into the studying/learning mode...but EVERYONE had a hard time---med school requires more study time due to the huge amount of info.

Seriously, don't even worry about your time off or even your undergrad major...you'll all be just fine, and you will *not* be the only one who took time off or had a non-science major in your class.

smurfette