how to supplement the TPR if at all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MSc44

for those who have taken TPR and done well. IS it enough if i just use their material and stay on top of the work and assignments and work hard with it. Or should i utalize many other sources. I plan on doing the aamc exams

Members don't see this ad.

In fact de-supplement TPR... it is way way too detailed. Take it from a TPR Bio instructor and master trainer ;)

TPR is good for the sciences. True, you'll learn more than you might need, but it makes the real thing seem more managable. I actually took TPR twice, and both times i did well in PS (Aug 2004: 10 Aug 2005: 10) and BS (12,13) but did not so good in verbal the first time around...got an 8. IMHO, I find TPR's verbal passages don't match the style & difficulty of the real thing. I highly recommend supplementing with EK 101 Verbal passages. In fact, my TPR chem instuctor recommended EK for verbal. I took bits and pieces of TPR's verbal stragety and applied it to EK 101 and managed to pull of an 11 this time around.

Exam Krackers = WAY TO GO FOR VERBAL.

Use EK 101 book for verbal, EK 1001 book for bio, and ALL of the AAMC tests.

That's what I'd use. TPR's verbal sucks huge time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't add to it. If you've got time to add to it, you're probably not learning it in enough detail. Any extra time, use for practice exams to be sure you can apply what you've learned or study the material more.

ASDIC said:
Try to get the 16 MiniMCATs and the 101 Verbal Passages from EK

And also the 1001 Biology questions book because they have passages as well and they have more GENETICS stuff.

But the combination of these 3 books is supposed to be the best.

The basic thing you're going to find is that any of these strategies will work as long as you don't divide your time too broadly over too many books or use something really worthless.

If you're already doing TPR, just do TPR and put 100% of your effort into it.

If you want to do something different, pick what any of the other folks are recommending and put 100% effort into it. It's not the prep company that's going to take the test for you.

From my experience, I found that TPR was solid material. It helped me relearn a lot of material, due to 8 years out of college and I improved 4 points from low 30s to mid 30s.

MoosePilot said:
The basic thing you're going to find is that any of these strategies will work as long as you don't divide your time too broadly over too many books or use something really worthless.

If you're already doing TPR, just do TPR and put 100% of your effort into it.

If you want to do something different, pick what any of the other folks are recommending and put 100% effort into it. It's not the prep company that's going to take the test for you.

From my experience, I found that TPR was solid material. It helped me relearn a lot of material, due to 8 years out of college and I improved 4 points from low 30s to mid 30s.

This is good advice.

With the Verbal, find the strategy that works best for you.

The reason I suggested the EK books is because their Verbal strategies and practice materials have shown to be more effective amongst people. And their 1001 practice book for bio has a ton of genetics practice whereas TPR does not have those things.

But I agree that it is not a good idea to spread yourself out tooooooooo much or you'll start confusing all the different strategies and be more confused.

Oh and do take a look at the 30+ thread.

anon-y-mouse said:
In fact de-supplement TPR... it is way way too detailed. Take it from a TPR Bio instructor and master trainer ;)

I concur. EK is my main guide for review, but I do all the TPR homework. You can always fall back on the thick TPR if you need more detail. I'd rather goto my school text instead.

I like the way the instructors grill the students in class - wish they did that more, though. Reminds me of grad school.

I think TPR science materials are good. I'd say do all the homework and all the practice tests. I bunch of people I know did the harder tests that they give you at the end, and I hear mixed reviews on how much it helped them. I didn't, and I still pulled through, but definitely try to do all the work they give you. As for the previous post that suggests that you put 100% into whatever test prep you choose, I'd totally agree with that. Live and breathe the MCAT, at least for that couple of months. It'll be worth it in the end.