How to talk to Prg dir for my spouse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackieO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing medicine in new york and my husband is doing prelim surgery in CT. I wanted to know how should I go about getting him an interview at my hospital? Do I talk to my program director to talk to surgery dept? or should he ask his program director to call on his behalf? Is there anything we can do so we can be together? Please let me know your advice. Thanks : )

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing medicine in new york and my husband is doing prelim surgery in CT. I wanted to know how should I go about getting him an interview at my hospital? Do I talk to my program director to talk to surgery dept? or should he ask his program director to call on his behalf? Is there anything we can do so we can be together? Please let me know your advice. Thanks : )

IMO it isn't your place to talk to the PD; it is your husband's.

He should probably be the one making the calls, not you. Based on my limited second hand knowledge, having your PD make a call will probably not help matters much. Your husband needs to be the one contacting the surgery PD, explaining his case, and doing what he can to get a spot. He should also be doing so at every other GS program in NYC (luckily for the two of you, there are a lot of them). However, his bigger drive should be to find a categorical spot. Depending on how much you guys want to be together, you might want to consider looking at medicine residencies where he can get a GS spot, as there is typically more space to add another person in a medicine residency than in a surgery program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the others.

You (and possibly your husband, if he knows you're posting this) need to understand the culture of surgery. It looks bad if you're calling for him...even without the vestiges of the old boy attitude (which would assume your husband isn't up to snuff if you're doing his work), it looks unprofessional and frankly, lazy on his part.

SocMD has an excellent point...if he's looking for a categorical position, they are tough to get especially if he wants a PGY-2 one (ie, not repeating his intern year). There are lots more IM programs than GS ones and it might very well be easier for you to transfer.