how to tell medicare co-pay for diabetes drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

common man

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a patient with medicare. i don't know his exact prescription plan and i'm not sure if he would know either or how to find out. i need to know what his co-pay costs would be for trulicity and insulin. i need to be able to factor affordability before prescribing. the best tool i can think of medicare compare plans website. does anyone know of a better resource? thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's impossible, because there's hundreds or thousands of different combinations of medicare plans in any location. In addition, any given medicare plan has "staged" coverage for drugs depending on how much money they're spending on *other* drugs.

1. Deductible - Patient pays 100% of drug cost. This is usually very small, a few hundred dollars a year

2. Initial coverage - depending on the plan, patient pays up to 25% of the negotiated cost of the medicine. This is often a fairly affordable fee for something like insulin - my patients often pay $40-50 during their months of initial coverage

3. Coverage gap - this is what is known as the "donut hole" - patient is responsible for 25% of the list price of the medicine (for brand names) or 36% (for generics) - for insulin, this is often up to $200/month

4. Catastrophic coverage - after you spent $5k or so out of pocket, you hit catastrophic coverage- and pay at most 5% of the drug cost.

This is for a "normal" part D plan - but there's tons of variations, particularly if the patient has a medicare advantage plan. Medicare is quite literally the absolute hardest one to figure out what *anything* will cost the patient, because of the above and the fact it's almost impossible to find an accurate formulary/cost search for any given plan. I've given up at this point - even when I find a website for *that* insurer and I specify *that* exact plan, the cost it quotes is inevitably wrong. And it's illegal for medicare patients to use coupons.

I prescribe something random, write the pharmacy may subtitute alternatives if they're better covered (prescribe Lantus, say may substitute basaglar, toujeo, tresiba, levemir for example), and if the patient can't afford anything (which happens too often), there's always the option of human insulin for $25/vial from Walmart or CVS. No other insurance - no commercial plan, tricare, medicaid - is as frustrating to deal with.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both for the information. Very helpful! I'll talk with the patient and pharmacy to see evaluate our options.

Call the patient’s pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Call the patient’s pharmacy.
Yep - that's what did I did. Got my answers in 2 minutes. Janumet combo is slightly cheaper at $35 than Januvia ($35) and metformin separately. Trulicity is $113 / month (there goes that idea).

again, depends on the supplemental plan they have, if any. One of the drugs my hubby had prescribed, they would not fill because it was not on formulary. He said, ok, don't run it thru the insurance, (or medicare) how much is it? $3.25................. but, if he was diabetic, all of his medication for diabetes would be no cost. even like the Trulicity.

again, depends on the supplemental plan they have, if any. One of the drugs my hubby had prescribed, they would not fill because it was not on formulary. He said, ok, don't run it thru the insurance, (or medicare) how much is it? $3.25................. but, if he was diabetic, all of his medication for diabetes would be no cost. even like the Trulicity.
Good god! What insurance does he have! My diabetes pts need that insurance!!

Good god! What insurance does he have! My diabetes pts need that insurance!!
It's likely an optional supplement for a few of the more premium employer plans, chosen by the employer. I have a handful of patients where no matter, all diabetes copays are picked up by that supplemental employer plan. Even things like CGMS and pump supplies.