How to tell your family the good news?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ewallis217

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys going to tell your families/whoever the good news of being accepted? I want to tell them in a fun manner :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just called mine. Lol. Everyone cried! They'll be happy and excited for you no matter how you tell them! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just shook a lot and screamed the news over the phone after leaving cryptic messages of "CALL ME"....so probably try for something better than that :)

Reactions: 1 users
Or you could always pull the classic Princess Diaries move and send a pizza with "I GOT IN" in m&m's.

9b27c3a778ec105eb6563627ad1f4dd4.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I just called mine, but I think it'd be fun to make cupcakes decorated with a caduceus or words like "I got in!" or something. Or just casually leave your acceptance letter taped to the fridge and wait for someone to find it.

If I get in I don't think I'll need to worry about how to tell them. They ask me every other day for the past month even though I told them I didn't expect to know until around the end of this week. All I got to do is say yes or no. ;)

I was super mean to my mother. I was in a different country when our snail mail acceptance letters came out, so I actually got an email about the accepted students day before I had learned I was accepted... so I was like 95% certain that my letter would say good things when I got home, but wasn't willing to celebrate or tell family until I had it firmly in my hand. Anyway, because I had had time to deal with my emotions, I was controlled enough to call her and say "Mom? I have bad news..." and let her go ":(" before making some bad joke about not being able to see family as much because I'd be in VET SCHOOL woo woo.

It was actually pretty great. She was mildly mad. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I was super mean to my mother. I was in a different country when our snail mail acceptance letters came out, so I actually got an email about the accepted students day before I had learned I was accepted... so I was like 95% certain that my letter would say good things when I got home, but wasn't willing to celebrate or tell family until I had it firmly in my hand. Anyway, because I had had time to deal with my emotions, I was controlled enough to call her and say "Mom? I have bad new..." and let her go ":(" before making some bad joke about not being able to see family as much because I'd be in VET SCHOOL woo woo.

It was actually pretty great. She was mildly mad. :p

This is brilliant. I may have to do this if I get accepted.

"Mom, I have bad news... I'm moving 6 hours away..."

:p

I think it would funny to text your family members a picture of a positive pregnancy test with the message "Good News." Wait a few minutes for the panic and confusion to build. Then say "Just kidding. I did get into vet school though."

Reactions: 7 users
Omg I wanted SOOOO badly to do something fun. Initially I was going to send my parents "insert university name here" MOM/DAD tshirts but I knew it would take two weeks and I'm currently 5 hours away and I knew there was no way in hell I could keep my mouth shut for that long. So I just called

Even though I'm a 1000 miles away, if I get in, I hope to find a way to just get the letter taped to the fridge by a sibling or something.

When I got my first interview offer, it was for the same day as I had a chorus performance. My family knew there was a chance that could happen because I told them really any weekends Dec-Feb it could be. So anyway, I called them and said "Mom... I'm not going to be singing in the chorus recital." And they knew what I meant haha.

Last edited:
I called my dad and he set up a "family meeting" for the next day, telling everyone not to ask questions, just be there at 6:30. So we all showed up and he started talking about how proud he was of each of his children and mentioned something about everyone and got to me and said, "Well, what am I proud of you for?" and I yelled "I GOT INTO VET SCHOOL!!". They were all super relieved. I think they thought someone had died or something serious. It was fun!

I called my mom crying as soon as I got the acceptance email. My mom's first reaction was that I was being kidnapped or dying or something. I had to calm her down then tell her I was going to vet school :p

I was obsessively checking my portal during the last 5 minutes of my animal behavior class. When I saw the "accepted" notification, I accidentally gasped super loud. Everyone sitting around me turned and stared. As soon as I got out of class I started crying and my PI saw me in the hallway. He was super worried/concerned but when I managed to choke out "no, it's a good thing" he got the biggest smile because he immediately knew what it was!

I called my mom in between classes. I said "well, I have some interesting news... Your daughter is officially going to be a vet!" and she started screaming and crying, but she was at work so I kept hearing her tell her coworkers that nothing was wrong. Lol. It was quite the day!