how to update with fall grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justapremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would it be ok to send in fall grade updates by listing my grades in the body of an email? it would be slow and pricey to send official transcripts from my institution and also a much bigger hassle... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think this has been recently discussed. If I recall correctly, check school websites for information on how to update. Some might require official transcripts, others may accept unofficial copies, and many may not want anything until the summer before you matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL When I first clicked on this I thought it said "How to update on failing grades".

Personally, I don't think Fall grades make a huge difference, especially if you have an interview already. I know some schools will request your transcript, but the only cases that I have heard of this is pre-interview.

Did you get a GPA boost? If so, just list the new GPA. If not, don't bother because it's assumed you maintain your level of work in your sr. year.

You probably don't want to send more than one update letter to each school--imagine the committee sitting down to review your application and has to read multiple supplemental letters.

Thus, utilize your update letter wisely. You should use it to describe new experiences and address any weaknesses in your application.

Unless you did really well or have been doing something new, don't bother. When I applied, I sent one update to a school that hadn't sent its decision yet. I'd gotten a 4.0 that fall, so I sent an e-mail saying that I was still very interested in the school, and here's an update on what I've been doing.

If you didn't do so well, you could just send an e-mail saying you're still very interested.