• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

justapremed

10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
would it be ok to send in fall grade updates by listing my grades in the body of an email? it would be slow and pricey to send official transcripts from my institution and also a much bigger hassle... :confused:

TooMuchResearch

i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Townsville, USA
Status
Attending Physician
I think this has been recently discussed. If I recall correctly, check school websites for information on how to update. Some might require official transcripts, others may accept unofficial copies, and many may not want anything until the summer before you matriculate.

About the Ads

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Personally, I don't think Fall grades make a huge difference, especially if you have an interview already. I know some schools will request your transcript, but the only cases that I have heard of this is pre-interview.

gopher22

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Did you get a GPA boost? If so, just list the new GPA. If not, don't bother because it's assumed you maintain your level of work in your sr. year.

You probably don't want to send more than one update letter to each school--imagine the committee sitting down to review your application and has to read multiple supplemental letters.

Thus, utilize your update letter wisely. You should use it to describe new experiences and address any weaknesses in your application.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unless you did really well or have been doing something new, don't bother. When I applied, I sent one update to a school that hadn't sent its decision yet. I'd gotten a 4.0 that fall, so I sent an e-mail saying that I was still very interested in the school, and here's an update on what I've been doing.

If you didn't do so well, you could just send an e-mail saying you're still very interested.

About the Ads