How to Use First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glenoid fossa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are many threads about which subjects are sufficiently covered in First Aid, but when using it, what is the best way to learn from this book? Unfortunately, I didn't annotate it as I went through my classes as so many people suggest, so as I plan my strategy for Step 1 (just a couple of months away), I find myself unsure of what to do with First Aid. It just seems like a superficial list of information and associations. I am told that knowing First Aid cold is the first step to preparing for the boards, but at the risk of sounding stupid, I don't know how I could ever memorize random pieces of information like this without having more detail or understanding. My school doesn't teach to the boards, so some of what I see in this book isn't even familiar. I am thinking about getting the home study books from Kaplan instead, but they almost seem too detailed, and I am fearful of abandoning First Aid since everyone seems to consider it a "must have." I also considered the Kaplan lecture notes (the webprep thing), but the ad says there is over 80 hours of lecture, so if I spent half of each day listening and the other half mastering what I heard, I would have little time for any other resource. Plus, I don't really consider myself an auditory learner.

Any advice, comments, or suggestions would be welcomed. I am feeling a little lost, and I need a plan quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

glenoid fossa said:
I know there are many threads about which subjects are sufficiently covered in First Aid, but when using it, what is the best way to learn from this book? Unfortunately, I didn't annotate it as I went through my classes as so many people suggest, so as I plan my strategy for Step 1 (just a couple of months away), I find myself unsure of what to do with First Aid. It just seems like a superficial list of information and associations. I am told that knowing First Aid cold is the first step to preparing for the boards, but at the risk of sounding stupid, I don't know how I could ever memorize random pieces of information like this without having more detail or understanding. My school doesn't teach to the boards, so some of what I see in this book isn't even familiar. I am thinking about getting the home study books from Kaplan instead, but they almost seem too detailed, and I am fearful of abandoning First Aid since everyone seems to consider it a "must have." I also considered the Kaplan lecture notes (the webprep thing), but the ad says there is over 80 hours of lecture, so if I spent half of each day listening and the other half mastering what I heard, I would have little time for any other resource. Plus, I don't really consider myself an auditory learner.

Any advice, comments, or suggestions would be welcomed. I am feeling a little lost, and I need a plan quickly.

hopefully you received a sound foundation from your first 2 years. that is the key. if you feel weak, use the kaplan and learn the basics very very very very well. the boards take basics and twist them to test that you TRULY understand. after you feel comfy with the kaplan/basics, use first aid to find out how the NBME test concepts...what is in first aid is what repeatedly shows up on the exams. I can't emphasize enough having a good foundation. If the audio is 80 hours and you have "months" until the step 1, you have plenty of time.
good luck
streetdoc

Use First Aid as ur study guide for what to study & what to leave out. Buy the first one or 2 of the recommened books at the back of First Aid. i think that will do it if u rate urself as a medicore but if u find urself really weak then i guess Kaplan's video course is a must. Good luck