How to Use First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am setting up my study schedule (I have 6 weeks), and I'm a little confused on how to use First Aid 2008. FA is set up in a high yield topics based and high yield systems based. I was just wondering how I should go through the book.

My plan was to do a subject based run through of all the material, and then a systems based. So does that mean that in the first run-through, I should do only the subject based sections, and then in the second run through, read the rest of FA (i.e. systems based). How does one successfully integrate the topics so that you read ALL of FA on the first time through?

Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

That's basically what I did: First ran through the subject based part - Micro, Biochem, Behavioral etc. with supplemental resources and annotating into FA, then going through system by system - BRS Phys then RR Path and then FA.

The high yield principles part and organ systems parts don't really overlap completely. The principles cover the core concepts, and then the organ parts cover, in each section, relevant anatomy, physiology, pathology, then pharmacology. I'm doing USMLE world in its entirety in 50 question test-chunks, targeting disciplines and organ systems at a time. I then review the Q's at the end and annotate everything everything that isn't in FA into FA...this is a very time-consuming process but Im due to be done in another 2 weeks or so. By then I'll have a fully annotated FA with basically everything that could possibly show up on the exam. I plan on just barraging through that book and a few other select sources for the last 3 or so weeks, throwing in 100 or so practice UW questions a day and two more practice NBME's. That should kill the exam...and possibly me.

The high yield principles part and organ systems parts don't really overlap completely. The principles cover the core concepts, and then the organ parts cover, in each section, relevant anatomy, physiology, pathology, then pharmacology. I'm doing USMLE world in its entirety in 50 question test-chunks, targeting disciplines and organ systems at a time. I then review the Q's at the end and annotate everything everything that isn't in FA into FA...this is a very time-consuming process but Im due to be done in another 2 weeks or so. By then I'll have a fully annotated FA with basically everything that could possibly show up on the exam. I plan on just barraging through that book and a few other select sources for the last 3 or so weeks, throwing in 100 or so practice UW questions a day and two more practice NBME's. That should kill the exam...and possibly me.

If you are using a systems based approach and trying to do 100 ?/day, how do you reach that number of questions a day, while certain subjects don't have that many ?s on UWorld...i.e. there are only 16 neuroanatomy questions....I will be studying neuroscience for 2 days, so I don't know what to do in order to reach that question quota for that day.

Any advice?