How to write successful applications for student organizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Skarl

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am curious what student organizations are looking for in applications and interviews. I know that these are often run by other students so I thought it'd be wise to ask other pre-medical UGs who may be involved in these orgs.

I didn't have much success my first time applying. In hindsight, I think I may have come off as arrogant and generic in my responses. This time around I've worked on my tone and have reflected to be more thoughtful and genuine.

I'd appreciate any insight into the process and would be grateful for any feedback if anyone wants to provide me with some on my past/present applications.
 
Why do your student orgs require applications? Is this Georgetown or something?
I think it's because there's a lot of pre-med students here and only a limited number of spots for students in these orgs. For example there's orgs that do ER Research, casework for local homeless, teach under-privileged students in urban schools, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's because there's a lot of pre-med students here and only a limited number of spots for students in these orgs. For example there's orgs that do ER Research, casework for local homeless, teach under-privileged students in urban schools, etc.
UCLA?
 
Yeah, do most student orgs at other unis not have applications?

No idea since I am a Bruin too. What I can say though is that the competitiveness of an organization has zero recognition on your future medical school application. I assume they are competitive because the activities they have are meaningful and so people flock to the programs. However, applications =/= meaningfulness and meaningfulness =/= applications. The applications you write to join the student org. will be read by other undergraduates who are on staff. I've been on multiple boards and I can say that it is really a shame how hand-wavey it all is when it comes to accepting people for positions at the undergraduate level...

do whatever you wish, application or not, it does not matter as long as you are getting clinical/nonclinical experiences that are personally meaningful 🙂
 
Excuse me @aaronrodgers ...you are NOT a Bruin. 😕 You are a Bear and a Packer...but NOT a Bruin. 😀 You should have been though, we would have likely had a much better football team. 😛

Yes. I, Aaron Rodgers, wish I had been at UCLA. You heard it here folks!