How useful are summer visits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaramelDlite

Academic Gangsta
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering visiting some schools this summer but taking cost into account , I am trying to determine how useful a visit would be. Will schools take note of any interest you show on that visit, and are there admissions personnel available to offer any advice? If you have any input on this, let me know, I could sure use the potential gas money :)

Members don't see this ad.

First, it is really expensive (the most expensive part of the application process). Second, call the school first!! I had a friend who did that and they didn't let her in some (if not all) places. A lot of schools require an invite for security reasons (it's not like college).

probably cheaper to go the traditional route. just apply and only visit the ones where you interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I visited GWU because I was in town anyway, but they didn't really make a note of it or anything... it was pretty much for my own edification. So, doing a summer visit probably isn't going to get you any bonus points.

CaramelDlite said:
I am considering visiting some schools this summer but taking cost into account , I am trying to determine how useful a visit would be. Will schools take note of any interest you show on that visit, and are there admissions personnel available to offer any advice? If you have any input on this, let me know, I could sure use the potential gas money :)

As isobel is saying, interviews are required at all schools anyways, so you're better off just waiting until you have to visit the school for an interview. Application costs get higher at each subsequent step of the process (ie, AMCAS < secondaries < interviews), so apply broadly to schools you may be interested in, and filter at the later stages. Plus, you don't want to go fall in love with a school that you don't get an interview invite for.

Reimat said:
As isobel is saying, interviews are required at all schools anyways, so you're better off just waiting until you have to visit the school for an interview. Application costs get higher at each subsequent step of the process (ie, AMCAS < secondaries < interviews), so apply broadly to schools you may be interested in, and filter at the later stages. Plus, you don't want to go fall in love with a school that you don't get an interview invite for.

Agreed. It isn't like you'll get bonus points for going. If it helps you out and you have the $$ to burn I guess why not, but I think the point about not falling in love with a school too soon is well-made.

I'll go with the crowd and say bad plan.

-Big cost factor
-You'll get to see the school when you interview
-Admissions staff may not like you dropping in (what if they have actual interviews scheduled already -- you don't want to seem like you're crashing)
-Don't want to get your heart set on a school before you even know whether they'll interview you (much less accept you)

And, if you get accepted to a school, they might have a 2nd look visit, or at least would be fine with you visiting again on your own. So if you don't think you'll see all you need to see on the interview day, that isn't your last chance.

A lot of schools now have virtual tours on their websites. This is good for educating yourself on what technologies the school offers, what areas they emphasize, and what the area and buildings are like without the cost of going there. Sure you will see the nices picture possible of the school, but this helped me a little in determining what schools to apply to and what schools I would not like as much (in terms of city vs. country, etc.)