How well do you have to know someone for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RatherBEventing

Ohio State c/o 2015 :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm not sure how well a vet has to know you before they can write you a letter of recommendation..
I have a vet back home that I shadowed a couple times (as in like, 4), a vet in New England that I shadowed for a week (it was actually like an externship setting), and 7 vets at work (but I work as a receptionist so they have no clue about my work abilities personally). Sooo is just shadowing with a vet enough to get a good LOR? Because the way I saw all this, was that they should know about your work ability, etc, etc, and I feel like just shadowing does not give them much to write about you at all. Any suggestions on how to get a good LOR from a vet? (actually, I'm applying to OSU, so I need to get 2 excellent LORs from vets)
I'm a junior in undergrad right now, so I have a little less than a year to get this all figured out (since their deadline is Oct 1st I believe..although I'm not planning on waiting until last min)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I think you mean The Ohio State University and not Oklahoma or Oregon right?

Personally, I think you should know a LOR better than that. They will simply be able to give you a better recommendation. They'll know you better, and what you are capable of. Getting a recommendation of, "she showed up on time" is not really helpful.

I'm at OSU now, and personally I applied to work at a job where there were multiple vets. That way I could have two vets write an recommendation and I only needed one job.

I know that Ohio is strict about being a registered tech to get a job and that might be why you've only shadowed so far. My recomendation is to go out of state. I went to Florida for a summer and it worked out great.

That way you can do more hands on stuff, you get to learn more, and you can be more involved with the veterinarians. Plus if you do that, don't be a wallflower. Get in there and get your hands dirty. Again, that'll give you that much stronger of a recommendation from that veterinarian.

I hope this helps!

Hi,

I think you mean The Ohio State University and not Oklahoma or Oregon right?

Personally, I think you should know a LOR better than that. They will simply be able to give you a better recommendation. They'll know you better, and what you are capable of. Getting a recommendation of, "she showed up on time" is not really helpful.

I'm at OSU now, and personally I applied to work at a job where there were multiple vets. That way I could have two vets write an recommendation and I only needed one job.

I know that Ohio is strict about being a registered tech to get a job and that might be why you've only shadowed so far. My recomendation is to go out of state. I went to Florida for a summer and it worked out great.

That way you can do more hands on stuff, you get to learn more, and you can be more involved with the veterinarians. Plus if you do that, don't be a wallflower. Get in there and get your hands dirty. Again, that'll give you that much stronger of a recommendation from that veterinarian.

I hope this helps!

yup! Ohio state univ.! Did you work at a vet clinic in Ohio? If you did, which one?
See, I thought it might help, since I can just pick 2 out of the 7 vets at my clinic...but I guess it doesn't matter then, even if they are from the same clinic. I had some wierd idea that maybe they wouldn't accept it, or like it as much if the LOR is from 2 vets at the same clinic, but you obviously got in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually went to Florida to work, not Ohio. I actually did my undergrad at Illinois, so I'm out of state for Ohio anyway. Personally if you can do more than just answer phones at your clinic, then you may be ok. However you have to get into the back and start gaining experience.

Personally, I would just sit down with your boss, and tell them that you are applying to veterinary school soon. Tell them that you like the environment of the clinic, but you would like to expand your skill set. Ask them if they would be willing to let you work some shifts as a technician. If they can, then you should be in good shape.

Honestly, what I did was I had the owner of the clinic, a really fantastic veterinarian right my actual ELOR. Then when I had to get my second recommendation for OSU, I had another veterinarian at the clinic write me a letter, but I had already let her know ahead of time, so it was already written.

But it was different when I applied. We only had ten days to get everything done. I believe its different now, and you get more time.

I hope this helps!

It is cool that THEOSU could go out of state but I know that is problematic for a lot of people.

The LOR isn't about whether you have technical skills, but more about your personality and character, and whether you understand the good points and bad points about the field your are considering. I would think the vets at the clinic you work at could address that. I don't know about using 2 vets from one clinic; but if you are fresh out of school that might be your best option. I used different vets from different fields. Something I did that I think helps is I put together a CV/resume for my LOR writers, and I pointed out positive experiences I had with each and mentioned the areas I hoped they would address such as ability to handle stressful situations or communication skills (and of course the experiences I mentioned would be illustrations of those.) My LOR writers appreciated it, and it meant they could provide a well rounded view of me for the schools.

While Sum is right in that it's about your personality and character more than technical skills, when I was getting ready to apply I was told that I should have something more involved than receptionist for my vet LOR. Someone mentioned that you can't work as a tech in OH without being licensed - and I'm assuming that means no vet assistants either? If so... I realize shadowing isn't going to be hands-on with the animals, but it gives you more direct contact with the vets. Maybe you could shadow the vets at work and help to whatever extent they will allow, and that way they will probably get to know you better and could make a stronger recommendation. It doesn't sound like the other two vets that you've shadowed had a whole lot of time to get to know you.

Of course, if it turns out that you CAN get a job as a tech or vet assistant, that'd be ideal.

Getting a LOR is mostly about who you are as a person, but there are a few questions that are related to technical skills.

Here is a link of a sample recommendation:
http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/documents/Eval2010.pdf

As long as the person you are asking knows you well enough to answer the questions on that page and to write a decent essay about you and why they would recommend you (essay this past year was 3000 characters), then you have a good veterinary LOR. I would recommend that you do get some clinic hours if you can; even if it is coming in on your days off and shadowing. See if they will let you get some hands on experience since you are employed. Good Luck! :luck:

There are still veterinary ASSISTANT positions available in Ohio. Granted, I will agree that most of the 'Technician' positions require you to be a registered tech, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a job as an assistant instead. You often can end up doing many of the same things a tech might do as you gain experience.

Just thought I'd make that clarification..