How/where can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Brandon Hagar

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
This is semi long, I apologize, I tried my best to be short and to the point!
Planning on Applying to Michigan State University CVM

Precollege
I have been and still involved in rescuing animals(dogs, cats, deer, raccoons etc.) Rehoming or rehab since I was young and still help when I can.
I started working in a pet store at 16 and worked there for 5 years.
Also was a Server/bartender/manager at a bar and grill for 4 years(relevant?)
Senior yr- internship shadowing small animal and large animals.(~150 hrs)

CentrAl Michigan university
Pre vet and Communication Disorders major and a minor in Biology.

Freshman (fall 13 credits, spring 17 credits)
CMU Lunch buddies program(all 4 yrs)- mentor for 3rd graders during lunch/recess
Classes(only prepreqs)
Gen bio- C
Precalc-A
Intro chem- B+
Nutririon- A
Microbio- B

Sophomore( 16 credits and 15 credits)
- job at a vet clinic and boarding (vet assistant, kennel supervisor) ~300 hrs
Classes
Zoology-B+
Physics 1- B-
Physics lab- A-
Orgo 1- C
Cell bio- A
* I transferred to North Carolina state university and started a BA in animal science

Junior(14 credits)
Volunteer at NC Museum of Natural Sciences, feeding animals cleaning cages- basic husbandry(~100 hrs)
equine research trial and goat research, overseen by PhD professors etc.(~100 hrs)
Taching assistant for the Into to Equine Science
Classes
Intro animal sci- B+
Intro lab- B
Animal nutrition- A-
Nutrition lab- A
Equine sci- A
Companion animals- A
Emergency happened had to move back to MI and CMU

Spring Junior and Senior (currently) 14 credits and 13 credits
Currently working Equine clinic and Equine dental teaching academy (~300 hrs +)
Classes
Physics 2- C
Lab - W (-__-)
-I got sick with a staph infection and missed 3 wks causing the W and C in physics

What's left-(graduate spring '15)
CDOs a 3 semester program, making up most of last 3 sem/36 credit calculation
For vet:
Orgo 2 and orgo lab
Genetics
Biochemistry

I am going to South Africa for 2 weeks to build schools, teach Eng For a wk, then help track endangered animals with WWF to fight against poaching the 2nd week

Cumulative gpa ~ 3.4 (have many gen eds and a whole major left still)
prereq GPA is roughly 3.3
Last 3 sem projected at a 3.8 (min for admin to speech path MA program-fallback)
GRE I am nervous for because I do not standardize test well

Letters of rec (many choices)
1. Equine vet/boss who won teaching and excellence awards at msu cvm
2. Equine Science prof (PhD in equine nutition and exercise physiology)
3. Professor who I developed relationship (PhD in biochem)


1.My higher level classes with B-/C I feel I should retake one since MSU doesnt average- But is that a waste?
2.I know I need more farm animal exp and working on finding a position
3.Is Africa more beneficial than doing a 3 week Ecology class that involves field research on an island for duration of the course?

Thank you everyone so much!!
 
Last edited: