How will a dumb mistake affect my chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aarehman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, long story short, I took a lot of community college courses along with my full load at my four year university my freshmen year. I ended up not having enough time for one of the cc courses, and I had to withdraw from the course. The problem is I withdrew unknowingly after the deadline and I received an F for the course. None of the classes I took at the community college will transfer over; i.e. I ended up taking all my necessary classes at the four year institution. Still, I have to list the classes I took at the cc on my amcas application along with the grade. Although it does not affect my gpa, how do you guys feel a random course listed with a F will look? It was stupid of me to take all those classes that one semester but how will a dumb mistake like this be looked upon?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the same thing but didn't list my CC classes on my AMCAS since the credits wouldn't transfer. I'm sure you're supposed to...but I didn't and noone seemed to care. :-X

So, long story short, I took a lot of community college courses along with my full load at my four year university my freshmen year. I ended up not having enough time for one of the cc courses, and I had to withdraw from the course. The problem is I withdrew unknowingly after the deadline and I received an F for the course. None of the classes I took at the community college will transfer over; i.e. I ended up taking all my necessary classes at the four year institution. Still, I have to list the classes I took at the cc on my amcas application along with the grade. Although it does not affect my gpa, how do you guys feel a random course listed with a F will look? It was stupid of me to take all those classes that one semester but how will a dumb mistake like this be looked upon?

How will an F not affect your GPA? Remember, AMCAS compiles their own GPA and they take into account all your grades.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if the class doesn't transfer from a CC to your 4 year university, you're still required to report a full transcript from the CC to AMCAS, and they will recalculate your GPA taking into account ALL undergrad classes you took, and the classes at the CC and at the 4 year school will be weighted equally.

ensuii, you definitely were supposed to report those grades. While nobody seemed to care yet, I hope for your sake that a med school doesn't check National Student Clearinghouse before offering you an interview or acceptance; while AMCAS usually won't verify your enrollment, it's not uncommon for the individual med schools to check these kinds of things for students they're interested in potentially interviewing or accepting.

Meh, I had a 4.0 from my CC classes so if anything it wouldv'e helped my GPA. I just didn't report it because it was too much of an inconvenience. I know I should've but I didn't and I got accepted so ionno, it just never struck me as a big deal.

Meh, I had a 4.0 from my CC classes so if anything it wouldv'e helped my GPA. I just didn't report it because it was too much of an inconvenience. I know I should've but I didn't and I got accepted so ionno, it just never struck me as a big deal.

I'm obviously an idiot and didn't notice you were already a med student :oops:

Good for you, and I'm glad to hear that you obviously weren't hiding anything. In any case, I still would recommend everyone to report those things; better safe than sorry.

I'm obviously an idiot and didn't notice you were already a med student :oops:

Good for you, and I'm glad to hear that you obviously weren't hiding anything. In any case, I still would recommend everyone to report those things; better safe than sorry.

In your face! jk

But yeah, I know I should have reported everything, I'm not encouraging anyone to purposefully leave anything out of their apps. I was just a young, stupid kid trying to get his app in early :p

I'm going to report it, but I was just wondering about the consequences. Of course it affects my gpa but I was wondering if a random F among mostly A's and a few B's would be a major concern for medical schools.

True. I'm not sure there's much you can do now, but for the sake of other students in similar situations, it's important to note that this is actually a very big deal and can have some pretty severe consequences if you are found out later -- up to and including the revocation of your MD degree after graduation and the subsequent blacklisting of your name for future enrollment in any university (most universities will not take students who have been previously expelled or had a degree revoked due to a falsification of student records, which is technically what not submitting all transcripts is considered). I doubt they'd really do much about it in your case, seeing as it was a 4.0 and, esp., assuming you only took a couple of courses there (maybe you "forgot" to report that school), but a student not reporting a CC due to an "F" would definitely not look too good if a school were to check and discover the missing school/transcript.

I'm going to report it, but I was just wondering about the consequences. Of course it affects my gpa but I was wondering if a random F among mostly A's and a few B's would be a major concern for medical schools.

Well, if you have an otherwise excellent academic record, it will probably not look too bad, but it will almost certainly lead to questions. You probably will want to give schools a statement as to why you rec'd the "F" and why it is not representative of your overall academic ability. The "F" shouldn't look too bad if it's well explained but it's bound to raise eyebrows.

Nah - if the rest of your app is strong then one F in CC won't sink you, or cause you to lose interviews, much. Most adcomms do look at the whole person, and care more about how you did with proper University courses, since they are more rigorous. :)

How would I go about explaining to the schools about the grade? Is there a place on the amcas for such an explanation or would I have to use an alternative method to explain myself to each school I apply to?