how will adcoms view a withdraw on transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried really hard, but I may have to drop organic I this semester. How will adcoms look at a W on my transcript? I am taking bio I and phy I this semester as well. I expect to get B's in both those classes.

I am a post-bacc, incidentally, taking my pre-meds for the first time. I have a 3.6 post-bacc science GPA thus far.

Thanks,

Tofurkey

Members don't see this ad.

i had a couple W's and im in school now. however, you're in a post-bacc so i assume they'd look at those grades more heavily. I really would do my best to ace the post bacc program.

Just don't make a habit of it and they won't give two ****s about it. Some will give one, but none will give both.

- Quid ;)

(seriously, don't sweat it)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had some W's from back in the day. I think if you can justify why you have them, it's not a big deal. No one is perfect, and we all make adjustments in our plan along the way. I think the adcomms know that. Keep up your excellent performance otherwise.

Good luck!

One of my interviewers and I discussed the withdrawals on my transcripts at length... But I had a bunch of them as an undergrad. He said the committee looks at any "pattern" of withdrawals very seriously... so be careful with them. Especially if you are non trad., since a big question you will have to answer is one of dedication to a chosen career path. I would think one wouldnt kill you, but make sure its necessary

I had an entire semester of W's; five in all, and I am getting interview invites.

It really depends on:

-Do you have a good explanation for dropping (family crisis, monetary reasons, etc.)
-What does the rest of your record look like (B's and C's, or mostly A's with some B's)
-What your postbacc GPA trend looks like; going up or starting to crash as you get into upperdivision courses, such as genetics or organic chem.

Just my .02$ :)

Hello

Some schools give you the option of switching as a listner rather than taking the W, this may require a small fee though. Maybe you can lookinto that. As others stated, Alot of W's will look back. As a listner you can at least finish out the class and get all the notes and exams.

Hope this helps.

don't worry about it...unless you've got lots of them. i had three (over five years of school) and have not been questioned about it and have been accepted...so don't worry :)