How will being a bald female affect my chances?

Started by lady_voldy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lady_voldy

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDN,

As my title suggests, I am a bald female 🙂. I have alopecia areata, which is a form of autoimmune hair loss. It's not contagious, it doesn't affect what I can do, but there's a stigma attached to being a bald female. Generally, I find wigs to be a bit of a hassle. I have NO hair, so I have can't use clips to attach it to my head and have to use this glue/tape stuff. They get kind of hot and stuffy, especially in the summer, and I've had this condition for so long I feel confident enough to generally just go without. People generally tend to think I have cancer or am some weird counter-culture chick even though my style is very feminine and simple.

I'm applying to medical school next year and am wondering what I will do about interviews. I think I will probably wear a wig so I don't shock my interviewers, but I can't help but feel kind of hurt at the idea. This is how I am. I didn't ask to be bald. I didn't choose to be bald. If I were male I don't think people would think too much about it, generally because hair loss is associated more with men.

Furthermore, I wonder how I will deal with this in residency and beyond. Right now I live in a very small town, so small that pretty much everyone knows me (my lack of hair makes me pretty memorable!), so when I'm volunteering at the clinic it's no big deal to just go wigless. I guess I just wonder what patients that have never met or heard of me will think. Doctors are supposed to be professionals, and I could see how I might put some patients off just based on how I look. I don't like the idea of having to come in to the hospital on short notice to deliver a baby, for example, and having to grab my wig and put it on correctly before I go out the door. It sounds annoying... if it was a tattoo or something I had chosen for myself I could understand the need to hide it, but it's a condition that really only sucks because of social norms involving hair (it also kind of sucks for other reasons - my least favorite thing is when my scalp gets burnt in the summer haha).

So basically I don't have any questions other than, what would you think if you had a bald female doctor? Would you think she was sick? Would you think she was a rebel? Also, is this something I should bring up in my interview at all?

Thank you!
 
lol @ username

3181731-big_voldy_smile.jpg


Personally, who gives a crap how someone wears their hair as long as it doesn't get disgusting or unkempt. But if you would feel nervous about it at interviews, or would get tired of explaining it to patients, then the annoyance of a wig is just something to deal with.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you are overthinking this a little with patients and will be fine no matter what you do. I feel like I was in a similar situation before third year and it turns out I didn't need to be that worried. It sounds like you are used to "owning it" IRL, and I honestly think with most patients, if you do the same - just walk in with confidence and start the conversation - you will be fine. I am really short and was worried about patients thinking I was too young/incompetent, but I haven't really had a lot of issues on my rotations. I do get some questions, but I usually just try to deflect politely and steer them back towards the conversation about why they are here. Yes, there will always be people who are prejudiced in some way, but you will get that no matter what as a med student... most of my classmates have been told things like "oh, well if you're JUST a STUDENT" or "you don't look old enough to be a doctor" at least once so far, so I don't think it's always personal.

For the interview, yeah unfortunately IMO that's different. Not that they could legally ask, but I would personally probably address it if I were you and went without a wig because I'd be worried they would think I was sick and not going to make it through med school or something like that. You could also just wear a wig just for the interviews.
 
Hi SDN,

As my title suggests, I am a bald female 🙂. I have alopecia areata, which is a form of autoimmune hair loss. It's not contagious, it doesn't affect what I can do, but there's a stigma attached to being a bald female. Generally, I find wigs to be a bit of a hassle. I have NO hair, so I have can't use clips to attach it to my head and have to use this glue/tape stuff. They get kind of hot and stuffy, especially in the summer, and I've had this condition for so long I feel confident enough to generally just go without. People generally tend to think I have cancer or am some weird counter-culture chick even though my style is very feminine and simple.
Unless you look like this, you have no chance:
stock-photo-beautiful-young-female-medical-student-with-sthetoscope-68917603.jpg

I don't think you have to worry about how physicians view you. Your bigger worry will be how PATIENTS view you, right or wrong, and this will be a much bigger obstruction. It's not right and it's not fair, but it's the reality you will face. Wear a wig.
 
most people will be able to tell that you have Alopecia, and did not simply shaved your head, and even if you did shave your head it should not be a negative as long as you are a competitive applicant. this said if you interview in school located in very conservative/traditional areas it be safe to comment on the condition!
 
@lady_voldy if my female doctor was bald i would be curious and that's about it (i would not question their intellectual abilities). A wig isn't your only option, especially if you are worried about speed. You could wear a headscarf, i can fix a headscarf in 10 seconds or less. They are easy to fix (you don't need hair or special tape to attach them), relatively breezy/comfortable and quite pretty.
 
Last edited:
I think you should just be you. It sounds like you're very confident without wearing a wig, and you need to be your most confident self when interviewing and interacting with patients.

As for the judgment. If a school for some reason judges you wrongly, that's not a school you want to attend. Patients? A small number of patients are judgmental no matter what you do, whether you're short/baby faced, whether you're Asian/Hispanic/Black, heck whether you're a woman. Several classmates have been judged for being short or being Asian or anything other than what the patient considers to be the norm. It sucks, but the patient is the one with the problem and the distorted world view, not you. You laugh and shrug it off, do whatever needs to be done with that patient, and move on.
 
Most physicians would probably presume it's due to a medical condition or medication. If not, you could always explain it during the interview.
 
You could always wear a baseball hat.

I wouldn't let it affect me in my interviewing you, and it probably will make any or your patients on chemo relate to you more. Heck, there have been blind, paralyzed and deaf doctors. I knew one with a grand mal stutter. Good luck!


Hi SDN,

As my title suggests, I am a bald female 🙂. I have alopecia areata, which is a form of autoimmune hair loss. It's not contagious, it doesn't affect what I can do, but there's a stigma attached to being a bald female. Generally, I find wigs to be a bit of a hassle. I have NO hair, so I have can't use clips to attach it to my head and have to use this glue/tape stuff. They get kind of hot and stuffy, especially in the summer, and I've had this condition for so long I feel confident enough to generally just go without. People generally tend to think I have cancer or am some weird counter-culture chick even though my style is very feminine and simple.

I'm applying to medical school next year and am wondering what I will do about interviews. I think I will probably wear a wig so I don't shock my interviewers, but I can't help but feel kind of hurt at the idea. This is how I am. I didn't ask to be bald. I didn't choose to be bald. If I were male I don't think people would think too much about it, generally because hair loss is associated more with men.

Furthermore, I wonder how I will deal with this in residency and beyond. Right now I live in a very small town, so small that pretty much everyone knows me (my lack of hair makes me pretty memorable!), so when I'm volunteering at the clinic it's no big deal to just go wigless. I guess I just wonder what patients that have never met or heard of me will think. Doctors are supposed to be professionals, and I could see how I might put some patients off just based on how I look. I don't like the idea of having to come in to the hospital on short notice to deliver a baby, for example, and having to grab my wig and put it on correctly before I go out the door. It sounds annoying... if it was a tattoo or something I had chosen for myself I could understand the need to hide it, but it's a condition that really only sucks because of social norms involving hair (it also kind of sucks for other reasons - my least favorite thing is when my scalp gets burnt in the summer haha).

So basically I don't have any questions other than, what would you think if you had a bald female doctor? Would you think she was sick? Would you think she was a rebel? Also, is this something I should bring up in my interview at all?

Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes. I take it that you've never met a female cancer patient?

8262_PINK.jpg
71hinwPV43L._UY550_.jpg



Actually, OP, if you come in like this, I'll admit you on the spot!
henna%20tatoo%20chemotherapy.jpg

That's kind of funny given I work at an oncology practice. But you knew that!

I see your point, but neither of those are really baseball caps.

Frankly, I think the OP sounds awesome, and I think she's going to kick ass on the interview trail.
 
I think you should just be you. It sounds like you're very confident without wearing a wig, and you need to be your most confident self when interviewing and interacting with patients.

As for the judgment. If a school for some reason judges you wrongly, that's not a school you want to attend. Patients? A small number of patients are judgmental no matter what you do, whether you're short/baby faced, whether you're Asian/Hispanic/Black, heck whether you're a woman. Several classmates have been judged for being short or being Asian or anything other than what the patient considers to be the norm. It sucks, but the patient is the one with the problem and the distorted world view, not you. You laugh and shrug it off, do whatever needs to be done with that patient, and move on.
A school won't judge you wrongly. But interviewers have their inherent biases - one of those being appearance. Blending in in terms of appearance and dress is always a good thing in terms of interviews.
 
At first I laughed because I thought you were joking, but then I read your comment and lost some respect for you. If the OP feels comfortable without the wig, she shouldn't wear one. If I were bald and encountered a superficial patient that couldn't look past my physical features, I wouldn't care if I lost them as a patient. There's plenty of people out there with more depth that I could treat.

Unless you look like this, you have no chance:
stock-photo-beautiful-young-female-medical-student-with-sthetoscope-68917603.jpg

I don't think you have to worry about how physicians view you. Your bigger worry will be how PATIENTS view you, right or wrong, and this will be a much bigger obstruction. It's not right and it's not fair, but it's the reality you will face. Wear a wig.
 
WHOA! I did not expect so many replies! You guys are awesome 😀

I would like to try to respond to all of you for taking the time to make me smile and laugh 🙂

lol @username
Personally, who gives a crap how someone wears their hair as long as it doesn't get disgusting or unkempt. But if you would feel nervous about it at interviews, or would get tired of explaining it to patients, then the annoyance of a wig is just something to deal with.

hahaha thank you! I actually went as She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named for Halloween a few years ago. It was a good deal of fun because I got people asking me if I was stopping by the party on my way to go take care of the Potters 🙂

LOL I absolutely love your username in the context of your post/experiences.

I actually met a current med student on my interview trail with alopecia areata. She wore a wig and penciled in her eyebrows (although it sounds like you're not interested in doing that), but she did get into medical school and is doing well. I don't have experience with baldness myself but wanted to let you know that you're not the only female future physician to have this experience!

In regards to clinical experience - yes, some patients will probably think you're sick, yes, some might think you're a rebel, and others might not care one way or another. That said, while it is important that your patients are comfortable with you, it's also important that YOU are comfortable physically and emotionally with what you put (or don't put) on your head. If a wig would be a hassle and you're worried about your patients' reactions to bald doctors, what about wearing one of those scarves/wraps some women wear? A girl I go to school with wore them while her hair was growing back after a surgery. It seems like it might be easier/faster to handle and put on, and it seems like there are lots of styles and colors to fit whatever your style is! If that's still not for you and you'd rather just go bald, you can always put your patients at ease by making yourself available to discuss your condition and answer any questions you have.

Regardless, you seem like a super awesome person. Just do you! And good luck!

This was so helpful to know! AA is fairly rare - not so rare that no one knows of it, but I didn't expect to hear from someone who has met someone like me on the interview trail. Thank you for your kind words 🙂

You should not be judged for something you have no control of.

That said, I would still wear a wig to interviews.

🙂 Yes, I think I am okay with the idea of wearing a wig for interviews, but maybe not my entire career haha.

Dude, if you wanted to impress an interviewer, tell them you have the condition, then when they say "oh, really?" or w/e filler they use, expose some scalp and say "yep!" 🙂

I'd love that in an interviewee. Nothing like confidence. 😉

Haha! I have done things like this before - always love the reactions I get.

Maybe I'm wrong but you're so confident with it that if I were you, I'd go to the interview without a wig. That's just who you are!

Aww, thank you! I lost my hair in middle school, so it took me some time be okay with who I am. Wouldn't change a thing though - I used to be so shy!

I think you are overthinking this a little with patients and will be fine no matter what you do. I feel like I was in a similar situation before third year and it turns out I didn't need to be that worried. It sounds like you are used to "owning it" IRL, and I honestly think with most patients, if you do the same - just walk in with confidence and start the conversation - you will be fine. I am really short and was worried about patients thinking I was too young/incompetent, but I haven't really had a lot of issues on my rotations. I do get some questions, but I usually just try to deflect politely and steer them back towards the conversation about why they are here. Yes, there will always be people who are prejudiced in some way, but you will get that no matter what as a med student... most of my classmates have been told things like "oh, well if you're JUST a STUDENT" or "you don't look old enough to be a doctor" at least once so far, so I don't think it's always personal.

For the interview, yeah unfortunately IMO that's different. Not that they could legally ask, but I would personally probably address it if I were you and went without a wig because I'd be worried they would think I was sick and not going to make it through med school or something like that. You could also just wear a wig just for the interviews.

Yeah I don't want them to think I am sick haha. So if I didn't wear anything on my head I would definitely say something 🙂

Wear nothing on your head if you don't want to.

Anyone who is telling you to wear a wig is an idiot.

Thank you edgerock24! I like you!

Unless you look like this, you have no chance:
stock-photo-beautiful-young-female-medical-student-with-sthetoscope-68917603.jpg

I don't think you have to worry about how physicians view you. Your bigger worry will be how PATIENTS view you, right or wrong, and this will be a much bigger obstruction. It's not right and it's not fair, but it's the reality you will face. Wear a wig.

I hope you remember this during your MS-3 clerkship year. Theory does not equal reality.

Yeah I guess we will see 🙂 I don't mind people judging me based on appearance for the most part since I've had years to deal with that. The two things I do worry about in regards to patients is 1) making them uncomfortable or 2) putting off people who are more conservative. I think what I end up doing with my head will depend on where I work and what my schedule is like.

most people will be able to tell that you have Alopecia, and did not simply shaved your head, and even if you did shave your head it should not be a negative as long as you are a competitive applicant. this said if you interview in school located in very conservative/traditional areas it be safe to comment on the condition!

Thank you!

@lady_voldy if my female doctor was bald i would be curious and that's about it (i would not question their intellectual abilities). A wig isn't your only option, especially if you are worried about speed. You could wear a headscarf, i can fix a headscarf in 10 seconds or less. They are easy to fix (you don't need hair or special tape to attach them), relatively breezy/comfortable and quite pretty.

Oh yes, I am partial to the little snug hats and headscarves, especially in the winter. I think it's still pretty obvious I don't have hair with those, but it might be easier on the eyes than my shiny head haha.

I think you should just be you. It sounds like you're very confident without wearing a wig, and you need to be your most confident self when interviewing and interacting with patients.

As for the judgment. If a school for some reason judges you wrongly, that's not a school you want to attend. Patients? A small number of patients are judgmental no matter what you do, whether you're short/baby faced, whether you're Asian/Hispanic/Black, heck whether you're a woman. Several classmates have been judged for being short or being Asian or anything other than what the patient considers to be the norm. It sucks, but the patient is the one with the problem and the distorted world view, not you. You laugh and shrug it off, do whatever needs to be done with that patient, and move on.

Thank you, Ismet 🙂 I suppose I am confident either way, but with the wig I feel like I am hiding something and I get a bit more nervous about having to explain myself if something happens to the wig and "my secret" is out haha. But you are absolutely right - even if I had hair I could encounter prejudice for other reasons. That's a great way to think about it!

Most physicians would probably presume it's due to a medical condition or medication. If not, you could always explain it during the interview.

Thank you!

You could always wear a baseball hat.

I wouldn't let it affect me in my interviewing you, and it probably will make any or your patients on chemo relate to you more. Heck, there have been blind, paralyzed and deaf doctors. I knew one with a grand mal stutter. Good luck!

Yes. I take it that you've never met a female cancer patient?

Actually, OP, if you come in like this, I'll admit you on the spot!
henna%20tatoo%20chemotherapy.jpg

hahaha! This definitely made me laugh. I almost had my Indian roommate draw on my head freshman year in henna freshman year. I should text her and see if she's still game. Thank you Goro!

Just go as you are and be confident. Comfort will help you be the most natural anyway.

Thank you - I agree!

That's kind of funny given I work at an oncology practice. But you knew that!

I see your point, but neither of those are really baseball caps.

Frankly, I think the OP sounds awesome, and I think she's going to kick ass on the interview trail.

Thank you for the great, very kind compliment! I hope you are right 😀

OP I think you are awesome and you should wear what makes YOU feel the most comfortable during your interview and I have a feeling that's sans wig. For the most part interviewers are medical professionals and I really doubt they would hold your condition against you

Thank you! I would hope not, and from all the positivity I have received from people I feel so much less worried about that happening.
 
At first I laughed because I thought you were joking, but then I read your comment and lost some respect for you. If the OP feels comfortable without the wig, she shouldn't wear one. If I were bald and encountered a superficial patient that couldn't look past my physical features, I wouldn't care if I lost them as a patient. There's plenty of people out there with more depth that I could treat.
I was joking regarding the picture (obvi). You don't get to "choose" your patients depending on specialty and practice environment. That's the reality of medicine.
 
Yeah I guess we will see 🙂 I don't mind people judging me based on appearance for the most part since I've had years to deal with that. The two things I do worry about in regards to patients is 1) making them uncomfortable or 2) putting off people who are more conservative. I think what I end up doing with my head will depend on where I work and what my schedule is like.
Those 2 are always possibilities, as patients are human and a lot of times emotion and feeling can dictate their reaction much more than facts and science. Is it fair? Of course, not. But medicine isn't "fair". It's not our jobs to "teach" patients what is right and wrong in terms of how they judge people.
 
Several classmates have been judged for being short or being Asian

Was in a room while an Asian physician was asked about him being Asian by a peds patient (I'm from a region with a 90%+ White demographic). Kid was on his computer playing a game and the doc wittily dropped, "Sure am, gives me +10 to Intellect."

Kid looked at him and gave him a hearty laugh. Gotta love people with a sense of humor.

For OP, in this case you should do whatever you feel most comfortable with for a medical school interview. If someone is interviewing medical school applicants and doesn't have the ability to express an appreciation for medical conditions I would seriously question the school. Patients, on the other hand, will probably not share this same sincerity, but for the most part I don't think it'd be an issue at all.
 
Do schools no longer ask for photos? I would imagine no one would be shocked about your appearance because they will have seen your picture before you arrived.

Anecdotal estimation here, but I would say only about half of the schools I applied to requested photos. Some of those didn't request them until you were invited to interview.
 
Honestly I think it will only improve your chances. Med schools like people who have to overcome obstacles, including genetic ones. In our class we have a number of people with genetic abnormalities.
 
Anecdotal estimation here, but I would say only about half of the schools I applied to requested photos. Some of those didn't request them until you were invited to interview.
I see; I knew some didn't until interview and (perhaps wrongly) assumed that most did at some point which is why I believe no one should be shocked at her appearance (assuming she submits a bald photo and she isn't doing a "blind" interview).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see; I knew some didn't until interview and (perhaps wrongly) assumed that most did at some point which is why I believe no one should be shocked at her appearance (assuming she submits a bald photo and she isn't doing a "blind" interview).

Seems pretty random. Thinking about it again, I'd say it's 1/3 ask for photos outright, 1/3 take photos on interview day (manually by themselves or ask you to bring one), and 1/3 don't ask for any at all. So probably a bit more than 50%, but certainly not all. And not most will see you pre-interview.


Does that mean my genetic condition, "Terrible case of the ugly and ruthless acne" will help me place into Derm?
 
Sadly, b/c you are female, it may be more of an issue for you than for your male counterparts. It amazes me how guys can look, well, less than their best, yet let a woman come in looking less than the expectation, and wow. Double standards are real. I think I might start with the wigs and/or various coverings as noted above, and then once those I worked with got to know me, I would gradually ease into what makes you feel most comfortable. This would also go for patients. If you do anesthesiology, well fine. They are pretty much always wearing caps. Anything with procedures and interventions and you are good to go. If you decide to work in a field when your patients will be seeing you on some kind of regular basis, then you can get them used to it as you move ahead in your practice. Once they get to know you, they shouldn't care if they like you as a physician. I think it sucks to always have to explain things to people, but since it is rare/unusual, well, people will want to know. It's just human nature stuff. Ultimately, however, if you are comfortable with it, in due time, they will be also.
 
Sadly, b/c you are female, it may be more of an issue for you than for your male counterparts. It amazes me how guys can look, well, less than their best, yet let a woman come in looking less than the expectation, and wow. Double standards are real. I think I might start with the wigs and/or various coverings as noted above, and then once those I worked with got to know me, I would gradually ease into what makes you feel most comfortable. This would also go for patients. If you do anesthesiology, well fine. They are pretty much always wearing caps. Anything with procedures and interventions and you are good to go. If you decide to work in a field when your patients will be seeing you on some kind of regular basis, then you can get them used to it as you move ahead in your practice. Once they get to know you, they shouldn't care if they like you as a physician. I think it sucks to always have to explain things to people, but since it is rare/unusual, well, people will want to know. It's just human nature stuff. Ultimately, however, if you are comfortable with it, in due time, they will be also.
Women are always expected to look better than men. They're prettier than men are.
 
I don't get how wearing a scarf/hat helps her. She is confident without them and patients/people will see the scarf + no eyebrows and be as judgmental as they would be without the head covering. OP, do you. Your confidence is amazing.
Scarf? You mean wig? Eyebrows and head of hair are quite different.
 
Scarf. Like a head wrap. Still.. It's quote obvious and will not bring any less judgement.
I didn't realize this condition meant no eyebrows, thank you for the info. A headscarf would absolutely hide the fact that the person doesn't have a head of hair...doesn't do much about the eyebrows though. Maybe we have different pictures in mind on what a headscarf is? I personally think they are gorgeous. When i was in the middle east they cut an easy 30 minutes out of the time it took me to get ready...I was one happy girl, they were like accessories!

If the OP is confident in going without I don't think others will be uncomfortable or at least i wouldn't. Confidence goes a long way in how others react to you. Even if you are short and Asian :joyful:...a confident person will almost always make a great impression regardless of looks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't realize this condition meant no eyebrows, thank you for the info. A headscarf would absolutely hide the fact that the person doesn't have a head of hair...doesn't do much about the eyebrows though. Maybe we have different pictures in mind on what a headscarf is? I personally think they are gorgeous. When i was in the middle east they cut an easy 30 minutes out of the time it took me to get ready...I was one happy girl, they were like accessories!

If the OP is confident in going without I don't think others will be uncomfortable or at least i wouldn't. Confidence goes a long way in how others react to you. Even if you are short and Asian :joyful:...a confident person will almost always make a great impression regardless of looks.
She could pencil them in and make it look pretty natural, but I just think it's a waste of time for her.
 
I interviewed last month at a school in the south with a bald female applicant. We talked briefly, and I don't feel anyone treated her any differently. I was merely curious as to whether she was a cancer survivor and that was it. However, I felt too embarrassed to ask this sort of question.

I think you'll have roughly the same interview experiences as any other woman would.
 
She could pencil them in and make it look pretty natural, but I just think it's a waste of time for her.
Haha you know me too well! But at the moment I actually just have alopecia for my head hair. It did affect my eyebrows and eyelashes for some time, but then they grew back, which was so nice because I never knew what a big role they played in keeping sweat out of my eyes! There's nothing quite like having to stop your run because you're literally blind from sunscreen-infused sweat in your eyes haha. I would draw eyebrows on sometimes, but then they came back, bless them. My head hair grows back from time to time too... I think the longest it's stuck around though is 8 months, so I don't trust it too much 😛

I've read everyone else's replies too and I have to say you lot have made my weekend! I like the discussion I have seen about expectations regarding how women should look, and I think one of the best things to have come from having this condition is that I'm generally less stressed about all that (and I think slowly caring less and less about the small things happens with age too - can't wait to see myself at 60. Hopefully I still bother to put on pants in the morning haha). Anyway, the key thing is, after all the feedback I've gotten I'm no longer very worried about how I will manage. It seems that there are more people out there like me than I thought, and many more dealing with other issues.

So if you see a girl in a headscarf that matches her blouse at interviews next year, ask her if she frequents SDN and if her friends jokingly call her Voldy - if she says yes (and hopefully she will because otherwise... awkward) that's me!
 
Women are always expected to look better than men. They're prettier than men are.

I know some pretty nice looking men. But let's face it. Double standards suck. You may come in and be allowed to look tired, but I'm not, b/c I am a female.
Well, as the beauty queens know full well, sometimes there is only so much Preparation-H. 😉

If you don't know, BQs use it to help reduce puffiness under the eyes. Phenylephrine never did much for me in this regard. Lost sleep effects suck and the only cure is sleep.