How will I fare for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkschun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all pharmacy members. I was predent, but switched to prepharm just a few months ago. I understand I should know about my choice and not just pick it bc I have a better chance of getting in. (I do, b/c I have a few pharmacist friends and know what the profession entails, I know those type of comments will come) I've done my research.

Background: 29y/o Graduated from University in 2008, Finance degree cGPA=2.2. Worked 3 years. Went back to school postbacc at University GPA=3.73 (Orgo1+2, Chem1+2, Bio1+2, Calc, Stats, A/P, Physics1+2). I think right now my cGPA=2.5, sGPA=3.3.

I have most of the other prereqs from back in the day, but need to take micro, 2nd a/p, and public speaking. Going to take PCAT Sept. and hopefully get 80%+. Have 100+ volunteers hrs. and a few E/Cs. I am hoping to get a job during the summer as a Pharm tech and then self study for a few weeks to get certified.

My question is do I have a chance? Also, what schools should I apply to to have a good chance of acceptance? When should I apply for a better chance? Is September too late in the cycle for someone in my position to be applying? Also one minor question...is Dr. Collins and the Pearson practice tests all I need to do well on the PCAT? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

289 hits and no replies???????? Cold shoulders? or no input?

289 hits and no replies???????? Cold shoulders? or no input?

Depends on what kind of person you are, not your stats. There are plenty of competitive applicants with good stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to all pharmacy members. I was predent, but switched to prepharm just a few months ago. I understand I should know about my choice and not just pick it bc I have a better chance of getting in. (I do, b/c I have a few pharmacist friends and know what the profession entails, I know those type of comments will come) I've done my research.

Background: 29y/o Graduated from University in 2008, Finance degree cGPA=2.2. Worked 3 years. Went back to school postbacc at University GPA=3.73 (Orgo1+2, Chem1+2, Bio1+2, Calc, Stats, A/P, Physics1+2). I think right now my cGPA=2.5, sGPA=3.3.

I have most of the other prereqs from back in the day, but need to take micro, 2nd a/p, and public speaking. Going to take PCAT Sept. and hopefully get 80%+. Have 100+ volunteers hrs. and a few E/Cs. I am hoping to get a job during the summer as a Pharm tech and then self study for a few weeks to get certified.

My question is do I have a chance? Also, what schools should I apply to to have a good chance of acceptance? When should I apply for a better chance? Is September too late in the cycle for someone in my position to be applying? Also one minor question...is Dr. Collins and the Pearson practice tests all I need to do well on the PCAT? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

There are schools that will accept you. But if you want to go to a more established school you need to do extremely well on the PCAT.

Responses in bold.

Not to bad.. definitely won't hinder you from getting in. Your stronger sGPA should carry you.

An 80%+ PCAT will definitely help. Most schools avgs are around low to mid 70% (or lower). Volunteering is good. Any leadership? Pharmacy = leadership. Pharm tech job would be a big plus.

The way the market is I wouldn't go by "what schools can I get into" I would actively try to get into one of the "top" schools out there. Don't sell yourself short! Have a couple "backup" schools but I'd stay pick a couple of schools that you really want to attend. Write a strong PS, finish your remaining classes strong, do some interview prep, and do well on the PCAT. Do all that and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get in nearly wherever you want.

Thanks in advance.

Apply as soon as PharmCAS opens up this year. Lot of schools have rolling admissions and sometimes you even get to interview with the early decision applicants.

Be ready to answer "why did you switch to pharmacy" question.

Schools seem to really like older students with more experience and different background. Your business background should make you fairly competitive. GL!

Apply to MCPHS Worcester, MA, no PCAT needed, its a 2 year and 10 months program. I chose it because I am also 29 and would like to finish earlier. Will be tough but will do my best.

So, it's been a while since my last post and I've gotten a little more ambitious due to my PCAT scores.
To update, I've been working at CVS as a pharmacy tech and NC certified. Took the PCAT yesterday and did well. Here are my scores.
Verb: 87
Bio: 95
RC: 81
QA: 99
Chem: 97
Comp: 98
I want to go to UNC pharmacy as my first choice and UGA or UF as my seconds. Do I have a chance with UNC with my 2.5 cGPA? Opinions?

So, it's been a while since my last post and I've gotten a little more ambitious due to my PCAT scores.
To update, I've been working at CVS as a pharmacy tech and NC certified. Took the PCAT yesterday and did well. Here are my scores.
I want to go to UNC pharmacy as my first choice and UGA or UF as my seconds. Do I have a chance with UNC with my 2.5 cGPA? Opinions?

Most schools have a min gpa in order to apply so id check with them first... the lowest i have heard is 2.5 but i thought top schools were 2.7, 2.8, even 3.0 for a min gpa application requirements

Yeah, I've heard that too. But I've also heard that most schools just use that as a guideline and don't actually have minimums(for people in my situation)

Great job! A 98 composite is going to be hard for any pharmacy school to ignore. Roll the dice and apply. GPA is not the only factor that adcoms look for in an applicant.

Thanks in advance.

YES! i was a business major as well and also didnt have a stellar undergrad gpa (2.9). I went back for two years to finish the prereqs and got a 3.7 science gpa. I also got a study for the PTCB, took the exam , and have worked in a hospital for a little over a year. Working will definitely get you the best letters of recommendation. You will be looked down upon for your business degree though, which i think is BS, b/c business for me was way more difficult than any of the science courses ive had to take.