How will merger affect resolution 42 states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMtoDO

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not really sure the best place to ask this but this forum tends to be fairly active. Anyhow with the ACGME/AOA merger, how will the 5 states that initially required a DO to complete an AOA Traditional Rotating Internship for licensure (or petition via Resolution 42),be effected? Are TRI's going to be non existent and if so does this mean that this stipulation will be lifted? Just pure curiosity from all the reading and absorbing of knowledge from all these threads. Thanks!

Edit: grammar

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There was a thread a while ago that linked to some legislation in one of the states that would require either an intern year in a program that has 'osteopathic recognition' or some requirements for certain electives and a presentation. The latter option seemed a bit more onerous than what is required for resolution 42. No idea if that legislation passed or not.

Hopefully the whole requirement will just go away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Not really sure the best place to ask this but this forum tends to be fairly active. Anyhow with the ACGME/AOA merger, how will the 5 states that initially required a DO to complete an AOA Traditional Rotating Internship for licensure (or petition via Resolution 42),be effected? Are TRI's going to be non existent and if so does this mean that this stipulation will be lifted? Just pure curiosity from all the reading and absorbing of knowledge from all these threads. Thanks!

Edit: grammar

If anything, they will requires them to do an AOA TRI that will become ACGME Accredited and gain osteopathic distinction.

It would be favorable if the whole thing did go away however.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. I do remember reading that as well but I also think that we may have to wait and see exactly how many AOA residencies actually make it through the merger and then how many of those actually end up ensuring that they have "osteopathic recognition". I feel that there will bE plenty of programs that want to keep a bit of their heritage in their program but I am sure some will just ignore it altogether. Though from what I have read petitioning for a res 42 seems to have very positive outcomes. I agree that doing the extra presentations etc seem to be a burdensome, but as someone who is looking to settle down in FL after all this is said and done I am quite interested in how this plays Out.

There was a thread a while ago that linked to some legislation in one of the states that would require either an intern year in a program that has 'osteopathic recognition' or some requirements for certain electives and a presentation. The latter option seemed a bit more onerous than what is required for resolution 42. No idea if that legislation passed or not.

Hopefully the whole requirement will just go away.

I agree. I think from what I read one of the main issues where people do not go into the traditional TRI is that it did not qualify for some ACGME PGY2 spots as a qualifying PGY1. Given that we say that these programs become ACGME then perhaps that issue will not matter anymore thus making it easier altogether? Orrrr we could just get rid of it altogether haha

If anything, they will requires them to do an AOA TRI that will become ACGME Accredited and gain osteopathic distinction.

Problem with that is, the TRIs are just becoming TYs, which are very competitive and usually designed for those pursuing a PGY-2 specialty. And give many of them will even get Osteopathic Recognition. So far it seems a minority of programs that have initial accreditation are bothering to apply for osteopathic recognition. And there are PGY-1 specialties that won't have any osteopathically recognized programs. So there will need to be some sort of resolution 42-like pathway. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Reactions: 1 users
I really dont see how res 42 is anything more than a defunct thing post merger. Has any one seen or heard anything regarding how they will enforce this post merger? If they did force people to do trad years how would this be a good thing? It would just push DOs out of the state. I am not going to do a trad year post residency.

PA has tried to require an OMM rotation along with requirements similar to those in Res42 post-merger. It hasn't passed yet, and no one knows whether it will or the intern year requirement will just disappear. To me the whole thing seems stupid, because some intern years don't even have an elective for which you can do OMM.

The AOA has pretty much said it doesn't see a point for Res42 post-merger, so they will just continue doing it for those that were trained pre-merger, but see it as something that will disappear. The individual states however can choose any number of requirements/restrictions. Each one might do something completely different. I personally will try to fulfill Res42 in intern year if I have to since it'll be pre-merger, but beyond that I really don't know what to tell those that are graduating in 2020 and later.