How would my low CASPer score affect my chance for MD/PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tophu246

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I got my CASPer score back and found out that I was placed in the lowest quartile. I only applied to 3 schools that require CASPer (out of 30 schools in total) but having a quite average (or below?) stat with a GPA of 3.85 and MCAT of 514, I feel compelled to keep as many chances opened as possible. I don't know if my great research experience (6000 hrs, 4 mid-author papers, 1 first-author in review at a big journal) would be substantial to cover my weaker stat, and now that my CASPer score is just going to add to the burden.

My question is how would these MSTP programs look at CASPer? Would my low score be a red flag for these 3 schools? Sorry about the rant but as a non-native English speaker, I felt subjectified by the nature of the test, which requires me to write out as much of my thought process as possible in such a limited amount of time. I have done so much to overcome challenges as an immigrant and individual of socioeconomic disadvantage and I really don't want a test like CASPer to label how unprofessional I am for my dream career.

Thank you in advance for any of your inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From the schools that I've applied to that require CASPer, they say they are only using it for "data collection purposes with no influence on admissions decisions". Even if some schools use CASPer in admissions, you are applying to MD/PhD programs where your excellent research will pull A LOT more weight than CASPer, which is essentially a subjective typing speed test which favors native English speakers.

Last edited:
I mean of course it's not going to help if the school takes it into account for admissions...

But as has been said on this forum before we are not quite sure how the schools are actually going to use CASPer. Could be only really used as a tiebreaker, ADCOMS could not give it any weight or it could be weighted heavily we don't know.

That being said your research is awesome! Gongrats on that accomplishment you've clearly worked hard! What's done is done so just focus on secondaries and then interviews!