How would this trend be looked at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is an upwards trend viewed if a student graduates a semester early? I know trends are viewed by year, freshman, sophomore, junior and senior years but what if the applicant took a bunch of credits, did well and never technically had a full senior year? What if they took one semester and graduated in the fall, (after a semester of senior year grades), but never had the second semester of senior year? Would it be viewed as the last few credits? Or would the trend only include freshman, sophomore and junior year GPAs?

Members don't see this ad.

How is an upwards trend viewed if a student graduates a semester early? I know trends are viewed by year, freshman, sophomore, junior and senior years but what if the applicant took a bunch of credits, did well and never technically had a full senior year? What if they took one semester and graduated in the fall, (after a semester of senior year grades), but never had the second semester of senior year? Would it be viewed as the last few credits? Or would the trend only include freshman, sophomore and junior year GPAs?
The partial year of credits would still be classified as senior year grades on the AMCAS transcript. You would designate anything after spring of Junior year, or anything after 90 semester hours (including AP) as "senior".

The partial year of credits would still be classified as senior year grades on the AMCAS transcript. You would designate anything after spring of Junior year, or anything after 90 semester hours (including AP) as "senior".

Really? I surpass 90 next semester, so I’m a senior next semester? That would be included in senior year grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I surpass 90 next semester, so I’m a senior next semester? That would be included in senior year grades?
You can either classify things by 0-30/31-60/61-90/90+ or by how long you've been in college.

Reactions: 1 user
You can either classify things by 0-30/31-60/61-90/90+ or by how long you've been in college.

How would the latter work? I started Fall 2016 and graduation date is spring 2020... can I classify Fall 2016- Spring 2017 as freshman year? Got 31 credits...

Took ten credits that summer (41 total), 17 that Fall (58 total), and 18 spring 2020 (79 total). Can I still make Fall 2017- Sprinh 2018 as one year??

How would the latter work? I started Fall 2016 and graduation date is spring 2020... can I classify Fall 2016- Spring 2017 as freshman year? Got 31 credits...

Took ten credits that summer (41 total), 17 that Fall (58 total), and 18 spring 2020 (79 total). Can I still make Fall 2017- Sprinh 2018 as one year??
From the AMCAS Application Guide page 26-27:

Year in School The guidelines below will help you determine your Year in School. AMCAS is not responsible for any delays in processing and/or incorrect GPA calculations that may result from incorrect Year in School assignments. If the Year in School designation greatly exceeds the ranges specified below, AMCAS may reassign statuses.

Each undergraduate status should consist of approximately 24 to 35 semester hours. If you are enrolled in an institution as a full-time, continuous undergraduate, you should usually change your Year in School after every two semesters, three to four quarters, or two to three trimesters.

If you have been enrolled part-time or have had interrupted attendance, you should use the following ranges to determine your appropriate status for each term:
-High School (HS) College-level coursework taken while in high school
-Freshman (FR) 0 through 35 semester hours
-Sophomore (SO) 36 through 65 semester hours
-Junior (JR) 66 through 95 semester hours
-Senior (SR) 96+ semester hours

If you have a significant number of AP or college-level coursework credits before entering college, you may list your entire first college year as FR status. In doing so, you will most likely exceed the 0 through 35 credit hour guideline for freshman year, but your AMCAS GPAs will reflect your “true” first year in college; in these cases, AMCAS will not change your academic status. However, if you would rather base your academic statuses on credit hours only, your application will be accepted and verified as such.

The following rules will help you determine the appropriate AMCAS Year in School for all of your coursework (including foreign coursework):
• Do not assign more than one status to an academic term.
• Assign HS status to college-level courses taken before the high school graduation date you entered in the Schools Attended section, regardless of the physical location of the college-level course. This does not include AP, Exempt, or CLEP credit.
• Assign FR status to AP, Exempt, or CLEP credit awarded when you first entered college.
• Once your undergraduate Year in School (FR, SO, JR, SR) has advanced, do not assign the previous status; continue to enter your completed coursework from that point.
• Junior/community college courses (e.g., associate’s degree coursework) should usually be listed as FR or SO if you took the courses before you attended a four-year institution. For attendance longer than two years at the same school, refer to the Year in School section.
• Courses for a bachelor’s degree earned in two years should be assigned statuses of FR and SR.
• Courses for a bachelor’s degree earned in three years should be assigned statuses of FR, SO, and SR.
• Courses for a bachelor’s degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of FR, SO, JR, SR, etc.
• Assign Postbaccalaureate (PB) status to any undergraduate-level coursework you enrolled in:
° After receipt of your initial BA/BS degree
° While enrolled in a graduate program, if coursework is not applied to a graduate degree
• Assign Graduate (GR) status to any professional or graduate-level coursework that is not applied to an undergraduate degree.

Reactions: 1 users